shoei visor question

GravisMaximus

Reaction score
Visit site
just got my new rx-1000 helmet, and i now this summer when i can get on my bike that ill be riding in the morning sun and the evening sun almost everyday, and i still have a clear lens on my lid. i also know i dont want to wear sunglasses, and im to lazy to switch lenses. thou i will be driving at night at least once a week, so what shade/type of lense do you all recomend givin my needs?:)

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
There's really no easy answer....I'd suggest buying a second dark tinted visor, installing it on your Shoei, and carry the clear visor with you for the times you'll find yourself riding at night as well. There are lots of types of neat visor carrying sleeves on the market that can either be carried on your person, or slipped into a tank or tailbag.
Oh, edited to add: There are new helmets on the market that have built-in drop-down tinted visors. Scorpion EXO-1000 and also HJC make one.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
just got my new rx-1000 helmet, and i now this summer when i can get on my bike that ill be riding in the morning sun and the evening sun almost everyday, and i still have a clear lens on my lid. i also know i dont want to wear sunglasses, and im to lazy to switch lenses. thou i will be driving at night at least once a week, so what shade/type of lense do you all recomend givin my needs?:)

Why don't you want to wear sunglasses? I wear them all the time here in Vegas, where the sun shines just about every day. I did switch to a light smoke screen visor from a clear one, for my Scorpion EXO 700 helmet. It provides a slight tint during the day, and you still can see at night without compromising safety. But I will still wear sunglasses during the day if I feel that it's just too bright.

au.FZ6N

destroyer of worlds
Reaction score
Visit site
There's really no easy answer....I'd suggest buying a second dark tinted visor, installing it on your Shoei, and carry the clear visor with you for the times you'll find yourself riding at night as well. There are lots of types of neat visor carrying sleeves on the market that can either be carried on your person, or slipped into a tank or tailbag.
Oh, edited to add: There are new helmets on the market that have built-in drop-down tinted visors. Scorpion EXO-1000 and also HJC make one.

agree totally with this

i have my shoei clear lense in my tailbag when im going to be out late

i have an iridium sliver lense for daily ridng

i have been caught out 2 times in nearly 11 yrs of road riding with a tinted lense and as i wear glasses normally i just left my visor open and wore my glasses

bugs at 60km/hr sting though :( so i make a note to carry the clear whenever possible

Last edited:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am pretty sure Fog city makes a shield insert that is auto tinting and will also stop any breathe fog that you encounter.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
Why don't you want to wear sunglasses? I wear them all the time here in Vegas, where the sun shines just about every day. I did switch to a light smoke screen visor from a clear one, for my Scorpion EXO 700 helmet. It provides a slight tint during the day, and you still can see at night without compromising safety. But I will still wear sunglasses during the day if I feel that it's just too bright.

Vegas do you know that scorpion makes a tint-shifting lense? it will change from clear to tinted with the sun like transition lenses for glasses. I have yet to buy it myself, but it is on my list of stuff (which is getting bigger everytime i come to this forum)