To Buell headlight converts...I need some info, please

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, so I'm doing the naked conversion this winter and I'm going with the Buell headlight. Great. I've got everything all mapped out and just need to get all the pertinent parts together. But...

I got to thinking about how I want to wire the headlight into the bike and that brought up some questions. Bear with me, as this may get confusing, but I'll try my best to answer any questions you may have.

First, I was looking at the schematic for my '06 FZ6 and particularly at the wiring harness that connects the headlights (and I assume the turn signals) to the bike. This is the harness on the headlight side of things...not the bike end. It's the wires and harness you see on the top right of this schematic: Ronayers.com Fiche Desktop Motorcycle Yamaha 2006 FZS6V FZ6 HEADLIGHT

Now, seeing as how I've never taken the fairing off my bike up to this point, I just assumed there was only 1 harness that ran from the front of the bike to the headlights...apparently, I was wrong. The schematic seems to show 4 wire harnesses...is this right? If so, what goes to what???

Ok, so my idea is to keep my fairing and try to find a wire harness that I can connect to the Buell headlight wiring, so it's basically plug-and-play. That way, I can take an hour and put the fairing back on when it's colder weather. But, at this point, I'm not sure how that's going to work if there are 4 of them coming off the bike end.

Can someone point me in the right direction? Pictures of the wiring coming from the bike (frame) and how you wired your Buell headlight in would be great.

And, as I said, feel free to ask questions. I really would like to get this all mapped out before I start tearing the bike down.

Thanks! :thumbup:

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
I will try to help from an '08 perspective.....can't be too different.

Are the buell headlights H4 & H7?
Will you be keeping your stock turn signals?

If so then you can keep your stock harness. If you need to use different bulbs then you will have to cut the connectors off and use connectors for the bulbs you will be using. If you are getting aftermarket turn signals (get three wire signals it will make your life easier) you will have to cut off the connectors for them and wire it up to the aftermarket signals. If you are electrically sound, you could take an extra set of stock signal connectors and wire them to the aftermarket signals so the are plug n' play (best IMHO)

I hope this helps.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
I looked it up for an '08
Ronayers.com Fiche Desktop Motorcycle Yamaha 2008 FZ6 HEADLIGHT
It looks the same......when you tear it apart, there will be a bunch of wires loomed, taped, etc together with four connectors hanging out:
1.left turn signal
2.left headlight (can't remember which is high beam and which is low but it will be easy to figure out)
3.Right headlight
4.right turn signal.

The connectors for the headlights will fit all H4 and H7 bulbs so if the buell setup is the same that is the easy part.

Now for the turn signals you may want to buy a second set of OEM front signals just for the connectors (don't think the sell them separate) unless you plan on re-using the stock signals.

Any questions just ask.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
I will try to help from an '08 perspective.....can't be too different.

Are the buell headlights H4 & H7?
Will you be keeping your stock turn signals?

If so then you can keep your stock harness. If you need to use different bulbs then you will have to cut the connectors off and use connectors for the bulbs you will be using. If you are getting aftermarket turn signals (get three wire signals it will make your life easier) you will have to cut off the connectors for them and wire it up to the aftermarket signals. If you are electrically sound, you could take an extra set of stock signal connectors and wire them to the aftermarket signals so the are plug n' play (best IMHO)

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply! Honestly, I haven't purchased the headlight yet, so I don't know if it's H4 and H7. Hopefully, someone that has will be along shortly and confirm one way or the other.

As far as the turn signals go, yes, I'm keeping the stock signals. Unlike a lot of owners, I actually like the big orange signals...lol. I'm planning to mount them on the headlight brackets that will attach the headlight assembly.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
I looked it up for an '08
Ronayers.com Fiche Desktop Motorcycle Yamaha 2008 FZ6 HEADLIGHT
It looks the same......when you tear it apart, there will be a bunch of wires loomed, taped, etc together with four connectors hanging out:
1.left turn signal
2.left headlight (can't remember which is high beam and which is low but it will be easy to figure out)
3.Right headlight
4.right turn signal.

The connectors for the headlights will fit all H4 and H7 bulbs so if the buell setup is the same that is the easy part.

Now for the turn signals you may want to buy a second set of OEM front signals just for the connectors (don't think the sell them separate) unless you plan on re-using the stock signals.

Any questions just ask.

Ok, now this really helped. Why can't the schematic be that easy??? 4 connectors...4 different things to power on the front end. Damn...I'm such a dunce.

Thanks again! Now I'm starting to get a clearer picture of what I'm facing...and it's not as scary as before. LOL.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
If you really want to be able to go back to stock without any wiring nightmares, you could always make an adapter (this may be a little ghetto so be prepared) from the stock headlight to the aftermarket (OEM Buell).

Think about the back of the stock head lights.... just a little blade terminal into the stock connector wired correctly to a connector for the new light. Make sure it is all weather proof and put some dielectric grease on the terminals and you will be able to go back and forth between faired stock and custom Buell!

p.s. i hope that made some kind of sense to you...... :D

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
No, actually that made perfect sense to me and is a really great idea! Hmm...now I'll have to start making a list of parts.

Thanks for all the help madmanmaigret! BTW, what the hell happened to our Red Sox this year??? Please God, let anyone win the World Series but the damn Yankees!

W

wrightme43

I have the dual headlamps, NOT buell though. Mine just pluged in perfect with zero problems using the factory harness.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
No, actually that made perfect sense to me and is a really great idea! Hmm...now I'll have to start making a list of parts.

Thanks for all the help madmanmaigret! BTW, what the hell happened to our Red Sox this year??? Please God, let anyone win the World Series but the damn Yankees!

I don't think (if it even needs one) the adapter harness will be to tough.

Papelbon. the guy who likes to make my heart stop......and usually brings me back to life.......just not always. :rolleyes:

I don't think anyone will stop the Yanks this year........:mad: