Cheap Exhaust mods

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i don't recall who but someone drilled a 1.5" hole down the middle of his exhaust and it sounded good on youtube...

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
People gut the cans and the cat all the time...supposedly is sounds better and is a little more free flowing. There is a guy on SBN selling a nicely done fully gutted system.

To do it yourself you can go in there and start drilling or you can cut it open, gut it, and weld it back.

I still run mine as it was from the factory but I'd love a little better sound...
________
AVANDIA CLASS ACTION

Last edited:
H

HavBlue

aussiejules posted ages ago about drilling. I am going to do that to.

Rather than gut it out, which may or may not have adverse effects, why not pull the aft section and have a muffler shop build you a pipe that runs out the
back? You would then be using the cat for a muffler and be well under probably 60/70 dollars.

H

HavBlue

Just a thought here folks: With modern CAD technologies being as they are, the exhaust systems on bikes and cages for that matter have become as important as anything else when it comes to overall performance. That said, the new machines are sporting exhausts that are not only quiet but offer performance levels the aftermarket pipes are having trouble staying up with. No doubt there are a number of ways to make the bike louder but what effects does it have on horsepower and torque curves as an end result? Change in this case may be good but it may also be bad as the curve in performance may be such that a bikes performance is adversely effected. Many of the aftermarket pipes are now offering very little gain in actual performance but you can make a lot of noise to the tune of 5 to 8 hundred dollars. As for me, I'm going to keep the original and build my own cat back.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When you do it post pics. Also are you just going to drill the cans or the cat too?
Just the cans mate. Over hear the MOT (ministry of transport) checks carbon emmissions. If you fail that it would require a new system. All I want is a bit more noise.

au.FZ6N

destroyer of worlds
Reaction score
Visit site
i drilled mine originally, pushed a 15mm masonry drill bit down each outlet about 5 or 6 times

free flowing? yes, a little better

sound better? yes if your a fan of asthmatic vespa scooter.

seriously, sounded crap to my ears (this is an opinion, not scientific fact, my ear does not contain its own "shoundsshyteometer").

i like the quiet burble of the stock exhaust, its nice, once i ruined the overall sound of the stock exhaust i purchased the leo vince SBK system (a mate has the exact one, when i heard his i wanted it).

drilling it is all well and good, but dont do it unless your willing to accept the fact it doesnt sound beefy/meaty/impressive or like a replacement set of cans.

it will for all intents and purposes sound like you have a hole (or 12) in your muffler.

i was under the impression the fz6 can itself is a sealed unit made of stainless. cutting isnt the big issue, welding is the painful part (i still have nightmares of a stainless repair job on something else i tried 5 years ago... horrible stuff :p )

i might be getting long in the tooth, i feel there is a different between loud and better. (again, my ear... blah blah meter etc)

if budget is the issue, weld a joined set of empty pipes in its place and save your stock can for resale :)

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i drilled mine originally, pushed a 15mm masonry drill bit down each outlet about 5 or 6 times

free flowing? yes, a little better

sound better? yes if your a fan of asthmatic vespa scooter.

seriously, sounded crap to my ears (this is an opinion, not scientific fact, my ear does not contain its own "shoundsshyteometer").

i like the quiet burble of the stock exhaust, its nice, once i ruined the overall sound of the stock exhaust i purchased the leo vince SBK system (a mate has the exact one, when i heard his i wanted it).

drilling it is all well and good, but dont do it unless your willing to accept the fact it doesnt sound beefy/meaty/impressive or like a replacement set of cans.

it will for all intents and purposes sound like you have a hole (or 12) in your muffler.

i was under the impression the fz6 can itself is a sealed unit made of stainless. cutting isnt the big issue, welding is the painful part (i still have nightmares of a stainless repair job on something else i tried 5 years ago... horrible stuff :p )

i might be getting long in the tooth, i feel there is a different between loud and better. (again, my ear... blah blah meter etc)

if budget is the issue, weld a joined set of empty pipes in its place and save your stock can for resale :)
Thanks for the input, I have found the link to the original question.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/897-mod-stock-can.html

au.FZ6N

destroyer of worlds
Reaction score
Visit site
the sound of the induction noise would add to any feelings of "pants dyno" power increase.

i noticed wth mine when i drilled the exhaust (a fair few more holes than whats shown on aussiejules pics) the noise was unimpressive to me.

when i added my pipes and cat eliminator i was in love with the sound

when i chopped a huge section off the airbox (i cut the intake port out and made the hole a heap larger, ghetto style with tin snips and pliers (my dremel packed it in and i know i can go clean it up later) i thought it was running heaps faster, but i think in my head, i hear the noise increase and it sounds faster.

ill try to go get some vid of the running sound from front and back and get pics of the hole cut.

if it wasnt for the fact my exhaust is a dirty as sin (the stock drilled one) i would attempt a pic inside it, i might still see if ican see the pics inside, just not sure if they will work

as per that post, if you drill enough holes you will perforate it enough that forcing a peice of metal rod in there will make the main hole larger, however your hole will be jagged (ahaha,.... im immature) and the air wont be flowing too smoothly, possibly counterproductive, not sure if its going to matter, were not looking at rocket science so may not hurt too much

edit#1
uploading to youtube now

edit#2
youtube hates me
here is an old clip of my FZ6 with no exhaust (took this on my phone when i was installing the leo cans)
[ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=EGYzzrppWjk"]YouTube - no exhaust[/ame]

edit#4
fz6air_xhaust.wmv - fz6noise - BADONGO
link to the file just taken of the airbox sound and exhaust sound, running cold so didnt rev past 2500rpm for the little bit i touched the throttle

Last edited:

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
My opinion

I have always loved the sound of the scorpion exhaust. I had it on my first fz6 but that is a different story. My second fz i wanted to try and save a little money and used the drill bit method on the stock pipes.......It sounded like crap so i went out and bought a pc3 and some carbon fiber scorpions.

Anything that is an easy or quick mod usually isnt worth it because it never works out as good as the bought after market parts.

au.FZ6N

destroyer of worlds
Reaction score
Visit site
how much does a dyno test custom map run and what kind of place could i go to do that

not too sure in the USA, I paid $330AUD and left the bike with them for a day and half (as they had warned me, they couldnt devote the solid session to doing all 3 maps for me so they did the 1st one in the morning, the 2nd one in the afternoon and the 3rd the next morning as they had to fit me around existing bookings)

i think for mine it was more a time thing, they can do the tuning quite quick but then you need to run it on the dyno and take measurements and adjust etc for the fine tuning.

the linear map was apparently the bugger, they had never had anyone want one and while the theroy side was easy to work out, adjusting it to the fz6 torque curve took some playing with.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
not too sure in the USA, I paid $330AUD and left the bike with them for a day and half (as they had warned me, they couldnt devote the solid session to doing all 3 maps for me so they did the 1st one in the morning, the 2nd one in the afternoon and the 3rd the next morning as they had to fit me around existing bookings)

i think for mine it was more a time thing, they can do the tuning quite quick but then you need to run it on the dyno and take measurements and adjust etc for the fine tuning.

the linear map was apparently the bugger, they had never had anyone want one and while the theroy side was easy to work out, adjusting it to the fz6 torque curve took some playing with.
So what are the net results for your 300 beer tokens spent?

au.FZ6N

destroyer of worlds
Reaction score
Visit site
i know when i took it in the reference run had 87hp at the wheels and was running rich as hell

the outright power map from memory was just over 99hp

this is prior to airbox and tuned on 95ron fuel

i am hoping to go back after the rebuild and start running on 98ron fuel exclusively, i have a few times with the economy map and switched to power map and noticed the exhaust heats up pretty quick and leaves a lot of black soot in the muffler exits

when i get settled into the new house i can go through all the garage gear and find the dyno printouts for each tune.

at the moment im only running the economy map since some *** decided to lift the SD card out of my lcd...

bike10

Reaction score
Visit site
Here in So Cal, the shop will install a power commader, dyno it and all for just $650.00.
it is expensive to have a dyno run!!