08 fz6 clutch

black-on-black

Reaction score
Visit site
i'm new into the biking world and i just bought an o8 fz6. the clutch seems to be very sensitive(it only has a tiny bit of room to play with. just me or id this every where

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Similar on prior year bikes as well. You'll get used to it.

People have fab'd and installed a longer slave lever (other end of clutch cable) which increases leverage and the engagement but I have not found this to be necessary.
________
LIVE SEX

Last edited:
W

wrightme43

You can also adjust it so it has more freeplay, and engages closer to the grip. I do that cause it seems to me that I have more control that way. Dont go over board or anything, but some doesnt hurt anything.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Welcome to tha Yamaha FZ6 clutch! As Def said, you will get used to it.

Over the years I've added the longer slave lever and PAZO levers and found that combo to have smoothed things out a bit.

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have heard people discuss this issue before I got mine. When I test rode it seemed fine and my bike is just the same. Some times it can be a bit snatchy but that is usually cause my hands are cold.

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a bit confused...are you guys referring to the fact the clutch lever only has to be pulled in about 1cm to disengage the clutch and change gear?

I didn't think this was a problem at all...it makes it so much easier to do fast gear changes when you get used to it.

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to tha Yamaha FZ6 clutch! As Def said, you will get used to it.

Over the years I've added the longer slave lever and PAZO levers and found that combo to have smoothed things out a bit.

Hey Boneman how did you do the longer slave lever mod, although I have somewhat gotten use to using the short friction zone I would still like to make it this mod. The pazo levers i'll be doing this coming summer. Thanks for the input.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i'm new into the biking world and i just bought an o8 fz6. the clutch seems to be very sensitive(it only has a tiny bit of room to play with. just me or id this every where
It also took me a few days to get used to it, now I dont noyice it at all.
Good luck with the bike, please post a picture.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i want to get the Pazo levers, how much of a difference did they make in the shifting, and did you get the shorties or the normal ones?

mglowe

Reaction score
mglowe.public.iastate.edu
I'm a bit confused...

...I didn't think this was a problem at all...it makes it so much easier to do fast gear changes when you get used to it.

I feel as others that the friction zone could be a bit wider vs narrow. It's possible that narrow friction zones are preferred for racing (I have no track experience so I could not say...), but my previous rides all had a wider zone.

Every now and then I'll embarrass myself at a stop but we all get use to it. Also note when you ride another's bike you may embarrass yourself waiting for its darn clutch to engage. *grin*

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
BlueMonday -

'Killernoodle' on the SBN - FZ6 forum custom fabricated a bunch of exteneded clutch slave levers in a group order/sale a while back. He pretty much bought out all the stock FZ6 slave levers in North America to do it!
123546d1179269446t-narrow-clutch-engagement-problems-100_5187.jpg

If your handy with a welder the clutch arm can be cut and extended about 5/8"..This reduces the amount of "pull" and increases the engagement area...works good

reiobard -

The addition of a shorty PAZZO clutch lever further 'smoothed; out the clutch pull. I was worried that going with a short clutch lever would make the pull harder, but it it didn't and is noticably smoother than stock levers.

** NOTE: The addition of the lenghtened slave arm/lever and PAZZO levers only SMOOTH and EASE the pull of this heavy clutch...they do not increase the amount of friction zone on the bike which is damn near ON or OFF as has already been discussed. The ON/OFF friction zone first caused me to do a few 'herkey - jerkies' when doing slow riding (paking lots), but is something you will get used to pretty quickly.

So now having adjustability of the PAZZO levers, the cable adjustment collar on the lever housing and using 1 of 3 adjustment locations on the longer clutch slave lever, I can really dial in the clutch to exactly where I like it! To the point that I always give specific instructions to the mechanic doing my service to leave all my clutch settings the f*ck alone!!! They have previously messed it up and it takes me a few rides to get it all dialed back in. I think with addition of these three mods, the clutch is as good as it's ever going to get fro the FZ6!
DSCF3180.JPG

I deceided to mix and match my lever sizes. I chose to go with a SHORT clutch lever and a LONG (regular) brake lever. I had heard good things about 2 finger shifting and I decided to leave the brake lever stock length...in case I ever need to grab a hand full of brake.

My write up here: Boneman's "FAZED" web site - Mods: PAZZO Levers

Boneman's Clutch Tip #1 - I personally have my clutch set to engage near the top/end of the clutfch lever throw (meaning it engages when my lever is alsmot back to it's normal, resting postion). I like it like this beacsue at lights and stops I can disengage the clutch without having to keep the clutch lever pulled all the way into the handlebar. I can relax my hand a bit more and only have the lever pulled halfway, yet the clutch still hasen't engaged. This gives me for 'free-play' with the lever and less chance of an acidental stall. I was shown this by one of my MSF instructors and it seemed to make sense and works well for me. My buddy has almost the opposite setup on his ZX10...which made for a comedy of errors when we swapped bikes for a ride! ;)

Last edited:

falcon6123

Reaction score
Visit site
Just blowing the dust of this oldy. But My clutch is crazy tight! I get off the bike after riding for an hour or so and my wrist is killing me. Is there anyway I can loosen the pressure? I have a shorty adjustable lever with the adjustment knob practically all the way out.

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
One of the bad things about short levers is that they have less leverage. So they do make it a little harder feeling. There was a guy here that made longer slaver arms that would increase leverage and increasing the perceived friction zone.

Of course a sticky clutch cable may also add to the hard pull of the clutch.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
One of the bad things about short levers is that they have less leverage. So they do make it a little harder feeling. There was a guy here that made longer slaver arms that would increase leverage and increasing the perceived friction zone.

Of course a sticky clutch cable may also add to the hard pull of the clutch.

+5 on lubing the cable! I pull mine with 2 fingers but when dry its crunchy and needs 4 digits. Lube the cable, it will make a world of difference! Lastly, the friction zone is narrow but great for quick shifts! :thumbup: