Which tire catches the nails?

Which tire catches the nails?

• Front... I'm bummed!

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Rear... I'm bummed!

Votes: 75 71.4%
  • No nails for me, my tires use nail-repelling compound.

Votes: 29 27.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Denver_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Bummer... I just picked up a nail in the rear tire. Probably have about 500 miles on Pilot Road 2. Went over 8000 miles on original Bridgestones without a hitch. None of the local places will patch it, so will replace. How about you... which tire catches the nails?

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't think I've every had a nail in an MC tire. But I want one in each time so I can get new ones under warrenty.

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
I've had several - all in the rear. I theorize that the front end is light enough not to force the nail/screw/whatever into the rubber.

Speaking of...

This is a quote from a friend's awesome ride report of the Trans Labrador Highway..

"So somewhere east of Churchill Falls I finally had my first flat tire.
Not of the trip, my first flat tire EVER. Go figure. 300,000+ miles of riding and this was my first one.

-- Jeff Munn (ride report here if interested - amazing)

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't think I've every had a nail in an MC tire. But I want one in each time so I can get new ones under warrenty.

My service guy suggested that I install my own nail because my tire was getting close to the end of the warranty window..

Nick J

Reaction score
Visit site

MC tires have a warranty for picking up nails? Is this true? If so. I have a Bridgestone BT016 with about 2000 miles on it with a big ole nail sticking up on the inside of it.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Always the rear,the front flicks 'em up so that the rear cops it.

I think you could be right.

Only 1. In the rear of my Intruders .

Quick hint. If you think you have just run over a spot of diesel because the back end twiches. STOP and check your rear tyre because that is what it feels like.

Steve

IceCarver

Reaction score
Visit site
I came home a few weeks ago to find my bike has become a budget lowrider. 3 nails driven in the same place way to close to be pickups. so I get pissed punch some **** and the wife thinks I've run them over I think vandalism right away so a few days later I patched the tire and decide to put both bikes outside the garage. I grabbed a twelve pack and my double barrel 12 gauge. "yes I do live in south carolina how nice of you to notice" I sit in the back of my work van for 3 hours waiting for a pack of hoodlums. at 2:45 am two people approach wearing hoods the taller one stabs my rear tire and then heads for the buell, at this point I'm standing 3 feet from them, I ****ed both hammers and politely stated oh was my tire pressure to high? second "thug" falls over "passed out" first one screams and trys to run and caught a barrel to the face, cops get there un hood both suspects, they are least 70 years old, apparently I scared them a week earlier by passing them, so they took it into their own hands. oh and to add to my great night both of them **** their pants "literally" when I ****ed the gun. :Flip: the motorcycle gods are truly upon me

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Always the rear,the front flicks 'em up so that the rear cops it.

I agree, that's what usually happens......

Picked up a nail in my old, 2000 ZRX 1100 (rear) in a construction zone (got me home after 3 stops for air) and the rear of my KLR (tubed tire) about 6 months ago...(had to get the trailer for that one)..

Last edited:

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
two, both the rear. I have heard and am starting to agree that the front one stands them up for the rear to run over.........always buy the roadhazard warranty!

My first one was within a month of owning the bike less than 1500 miles!

Aleziel

Reaction score
Visit site
got a flat tire last week.. i was actually going with 180km when i noticed the bike loosing power, i used the instant repair kit with the plastic noodle, but got a proper patch the next day at the tire shop.

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't believe I've ever had a flat on the front. The most exciting flat I ever had was once while I was tunneling along at 75 mph when I met a bus, (also going about 70 mph). The tire obviously had either just gone flat or since the road was straight-arrow, perhaps the g-force was slinging it outward and keeping it? Anyway, when I passed that bus and the air off of it hit me I was all over the road. I crawled up onto the tank, stayed off the brakes, and slowed down gradually without incident. (It had a piece of wire in it)

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have never picked up a nail (Knock on wood) but from all the stories that i have head from other people it is usually whatever tire was most recently replaced, if they were both replaced at the same time then it is usually the rear because it is more expensive...

Airhead

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I've had 2 nails and 1 screw in my rear tires. One tire was no more than 100 miles old. After the third flat I purchased tire insurance and haven't had a flat in nearly 20,000 miles.

edski

Reaction score
Visit site
Two nail-catching incidents with the rear tire.
Just the other week, nail in rear tire discovered at work after my morning commute. And once back in '92 on a road trip touring through the Rocky Mountains ('nailed' just outside Fort Collins, Colorado).

I did have a scary time years ago on my '82 Yamaha XJ650J Maxim when the bead on the front tire let loose on a curve just outside Cape May, NJ, but that was very suspicious. Looked like the bead was cut partially through with a pen knife and the alloy rim showed a fresh knife edge width score... some evil cretin must have done it while I was having a beer and a sandwich prior to riding home.