How To Make Your Own Exhaust Slip Ons

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
Well, now that I actually have the cans made, I figured it was time to post a streamlined How To for anybody that wants to take this path.
(the original thread is here: http://www.600riders.com/forum/how-tos/18711-making-my-own-exhaust-slip-ons.html)

Here are the plans (measurements will vary depending on the tubing and baffle you choose):
picture.php

Here is what the finished product looks like:
picture.php

Here are the Materials for 1 Can: Body, End Cap, Inlet/Outlet, Baffle, Packing (steel wool & fiberglass):
picture.php

Costs and materials (2 Cans):

Slip On Materials:
- 36" of Hi-Temp, Oval, Carbon Fiber for $90 with shipping at Carbon Fiber Tubing
- 24" of 1 3/4" perforated, stainless steel tubing for $20 at Motorcycle Parts and Accessories by Baron Custom Accessories for your Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, or Harley Davidson
- Stainless Steel Wool, $3
- 2 repacking kits from Two Brothers Racing for $40 with shipping
- 2: 1 ¾” Copper Couplings, $3
- Allan Bolts for end caps, $3
- Gasket material, $5
- Hi-Temp Paint, $7
- Washers for rivets, $2
- Mounting Brackets, $30

Fabrication Materials:
- 40 lbs, playground sand, $7 for 50 lb bag
- 4 lbs of Bentonite, $20
- Lots of Bricks (Free, already had them)
- Crucible, 4" piece of steel pipe (free :D), 6" long, took it to a local welding shop and had them weld a plate to the bottom for $20, attached a piece of 2’ long, ½” copper pipe ($5) with zinc/steel bolt and nut ($2)- Shop Vac (Free already had it)
- 5' long, 3/4" steel pipe for airflow to brick oven
- 4 bags of Charcoal, $20
- Scrap Aluminum (I do not recommend cans because they are coated with vinyl and paint, get some good clean scrap aluminum to melt).

If my math is right, that is $277 for two cans.

Last edited:

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
Fabrication: See pictures in my album here: Yamaha FZ6 Forums - International FZ6 Motorcycle Community Forum - jtarkany's Album: Custom Exhaust

Fabricating the Inlet/Outlet and End Caps was definitely the bulk of this project. I started by making wooden patterns of these items. I then took them to a local machine shop to see what they would charge me to CNC them, they wanted $550 to do it, so I decided to cast the parts out of aluminum instead.

Some helpful links: melting metal in a home foundry, backyard metalcasting, metal casting and FOUNDRY101.COM

Here is the process I used:

Making the Molds
- Purchased 40 lbs of Playground Sand (you can get finer sand but it costs more).
- Purchased 4 lbs of Powdered Clay (Bentonite, got it at a health food store).
- Mixed the clay and sand with just a little bit of water.
- I made some wooden frame molds (Top & Bottom) with alignment guides.
- Place your pattern in the bottom mold dust with talcum powder, hand pack with sand/clay, nice and firm.
- Flip the mold over so that the bottom of your pattern is now showing, place 2, 1/2" wooden dowels on either end of your pattern about 1/2" deep in the sand, this will make access holes in your top mold for you to pour your metal into one, and the metal will rise up the other.
- Dust the pattern and the sand with more talcum powder.
- Place your top mold on your bottom mold, firmly handpack more sand/clay.
- Pull wooden dowels out from the top.
- Seperate the mold.
- Make channels in the sand for the liquid metal to flow in, make sure your channels run from the holes made by your dowels to your pattern.
- Lightly tap your pattern to release it from the sand/clay and carefully remove the pattern from the mold.
- You should now have the shape of your pattern in the sand, put the two halves of the mold back together, you are ready to melt and pour.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Melting the Aluminum
- Made a Crucible out of 6" X 4" X 1/4" Wall, with a plate welded to the bottom, attached a 2' long copper handle.
- Built a brick furnace on my driveway (just stacked the bricks in the shape of an oven).
- Place the Iron Pipe in a hole in the Bottom of the oven and attached my shop vac to it set to blow instead of suck.
- Placed the crucible in the oven, filled with scrap metal.
- Filled the furnace with charcoal and lit it up, turned on the blower.
- If the aluminum is clean scrap it will melt in about 20 - 30 minutes, it is ready to pour 3 minutes after the last piece melts.

Pour the molten aluminum into your pattern, let it sit for 3 hours to temper, crack it open, clean it up and paint it.

The sand/clay can be reused, just have to break it up and moisten it.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
Assembly For more pictures go here: Yamaha FZ6 Forums - International FZ6 Motorcycle Community Forum - jtarkany's Album: Custom Exhaust

Pieces
picture.php

Attach end cap with rivets and wrap baffle with steel wool, I used a thin piece of wire to hold the steel wool in place
picture.php
picture.php

Wrap the baffle in the fiberglass packing material and insert into can, be sure to align baffle with inlet/outlet
picture.php
picture.php

Place Inlet/Outlet, with End Cap on end, again, be sure to align baffle with inlet/outlet hole. Rivet inlet/outlet into place. The end cap is still removable as it is bolted with hex head bolts to the inlet/outlet
picture.php

You should now have 2 fully assembled cans, next steps:
- Fabricating a Y-Pipe
- Mounting

Last edited:

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
Fabricated the mounting bracket today and mounted the pipes. If all goes well we will be fabricating the Y-pipe tomorrow and finish this project.

Sheetmetal and hardware $6.00, reinforced the sheet metal with square aluminum tubing after making the bends:
picture.php
picture.php

Last edited:

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
Here is the Video...Check out the integrated turn signals (let's see how long those LED's last :D)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YTU1m7EUq4"]YouTube- Made my own FZ6 Exhaust[/ame]

Here are the signals:
picture.php
picture.php

Last edited:

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Soon came and went... ;)

How's this project doing? All set for video yet?

Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet?

:rockon:

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
Soon came and went... ;)

How's this project doing? All set for video yet?

Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet?

:rockon:

Sorry for the delay, between working on the deck, a rebellious 16 year old daughter and my mother-in-law passing away the project has taken a back seat. :(

However, I am planning to go over to my friends home shop within the next couple of weeks, fabricate the mounting bracket, y-pipe and mount these bad boys.

I will be happy to bring closure to this project and share the final steps and results with all of you. Yes, there will be video.

Bare with me :D

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
I made a couple of Logos for ya to get you re-inspired to finish the whole thing.

Here ya go. Spent an hour or so putting this together (on a netbook no less!) in Photoshop CS.

Can't wait to see them on the bike.

Since you said the F22 was part of the inspiration, I used a F22 in a couple of the logos.

Feel free to use them if you want.

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
I made a couple of Logos for ya to get you re-inspired to finish the whole thing.

Here ya go. Spent an hour or so putting this together (on a netbook no less!) in Photoshop CS.

Can't wait to see them on the bike.

Since you said the F22 was part of the inspiration, I used a F22 in a couple of the logos.

Feel free to use them if you want.

Nice, I especially like the F-22 Raptor incorporated into the logo :thumbup:

Thank you. I had planned to create the mounting bracket and Y-pipe yesterday and hopefully mount them. However, I ended up in Zion National Park in Utah instead :eek:, loving every minute of it just hiking around with some friends.

Be back on Saturday and am shooting to complete this build on either Sunday or Wednesday ;)

Last edited:

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
Fabricated the bracket and dry fit the cans to the bike today, fabricating y-pipe tomorrow if all goes well.

New pictures on page 1 under Mounting. Once I get the y-pipe fabricated I will straighten everything up on final assembly.