Looking for a decent headlight

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
O.k. so I finally got (see below) my headlight I ordered off of ebay :shakehead:
It uses (what I would call) turn signal bulbs for headlights! :ban: I doubt it will put out very good light if any at all.

I am looking to have a set up similar to Wavex's version 1.1 Looks like a GSX-R headlight with a small amount of fairing around it. (see attachment)

Here is a link to the light I speak of: 58cycle Parts & Accessories Webstore
That will actually have a socket for a H4/H7 type bulb and give off decent light. But I want it to have a small "fairing: around it to clean up the look. I have a guy who can make me brackets etc. to make it work, but I cannot find what I am looking for.

So what do I do? Use the cheapo headlight and try to modify it for a decent bulb and hope the reflectors work out? Or buy a comletely new setup and never have to mess with it again? I have a PM in to wavex to see if he can point me in the right direction for his old headlight setup, but wanted a few more opinions also.

Thanks
-Madman

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You could always retro fit with HID's!:D.......it is cool looking(your new headlight).

Last edited:

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Madman, this headlight above was the K5 GSXR, but the K4 is actually much better in real life... let's just say the K4 looks better from more angles :D

Both are from the website I sent you.

I personally don't like the other headlight you posted above... the K4 in your link seems to be the one you would need with the KMP mini-fairing... (I just went back to it and looked at it in details)... so you should be good to go... ebay may have cheaper ones though...

Check the FZ6N mods sticky thread too... I think there were a few links in there..

Good luck!

Last edited:

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
Use the cheapo headlight and try to modify it for a decent bulb and hope the reflectors work out? Or buy a comletely new setup and never have to mess with it again?

Return if possible. Fitting a better bulb will just caused poorly scattered light and probably cause lots of oncoming glare and little is any usable light.
Fitting a HID projector could help, but the poorly constructed light housing will likely leak and cause more headaches later.
Get a good headlight with proven results.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
Return if possible. Fitting a better bulb will just caused poorly scattered light and probably cause lots of oncoming glare and little is any usable light.
Fitting a HID projector could help, but the poorly constructed light housing will likely leak and cause more headaches later.
Get a good headlight with proven results.

This is what I was thinking (in not so much detail)

Just feel like I would be trying to polish a turd......

Wavex, you mean the the two round Buell headlights?
Not really my style. I (from the KMP link you sent me) think I have it narrowed down to K3 or K4 style light with that small "mini" fairing. Just got to cough up the funds.....and probably ask a friendly, french speaking (ie; you;) ) person to order it for me!

I will have to continue my pic search of the two styles and eventually pick one, although I am leaning towards the K3

Thanks, again!

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Good luck bro... and np to get you that mini fairing ordered... just pm me when you're ready.

Yeah the Buell setup looks awesome in real life... here's McLovin's FZ from last wkd:

3913934373_ebb5ac0c2e_b.jpg

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
Good luck bro... and np to get you that mini fairing ordered... just pm me when you're ready.

Yeah the Buell setup looks awesome in real life... here's McLovin's FZ from last wkd:

3913934373_ebb5ac0c2e_b.jpg

For some reason (I think no flickr at work) I can never see your pics......but I did just see one of the subframe spacers on the Buell where someone circled it and said "is this it"........ :drool: :thumbup:
thing looks effin awesome!

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks man!

Probably flickr indeed... here it is... this pic does not really do it justice though... looks very good on the FZ... is cheap, easy to install, fit is perfect (not the case for the GSXR headlights...)

View attachment 21855

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks man!

Probably flickr indeed... here it is... this pic does not really do it justice though... looks very good on the FZ... is cheap, easy to install, fit is perfect (not the case for the GSXR headlights...)

View attachment 21855

I do like it, with the flyscreen. I usually see it without. I definitly prefer it with the screen.

Still, I want something that looks extra mean and the K3 light just does it for me. I know it will be hard to fit...that is how I can justify friggin awesome it looks when I am done. I have an odd feeling that my cheapo headlight was modeled after the K3 and I may see if I can massage the plastics enough to make an oem light fit, and if not you will be hearing from me.

I am tired of not having a bike though (I wrecked in FEBRUARY!!!!!) so i am trying to get off my butt and get this done.

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Kyle: per your pm, here is my answer (can't attach pic to pm):

View attachment 21859

In red are the mounting points for the mini fairing (screw from the back into the mini fairing threaded holes). In blue is what I had used to mount the headlight to the forks (via custom bracket and fork clamps).

Notes:
- the top 2 blue points are not very robust.
- think long and hard before deciding on your solution... the mounting of the headlight unit itself to the fork is the most difficult part.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
Kyle: per your pm, here is my answer (can't attach pic to pm):

View attachment 21859

In red are the mounting points for the mini fairing (screw from the back into the mini fairing threaded holes). In blue is what I had used to mount the headlight to the forks (via custom bracket and fork clamps).

Notes:
- the top 2 blue points are not very robust.
- think long and hard before deciding on your solution... the mounting of the headlight unit itself to the fork is the most difficult part.

Wavex, did you use any rubber isolators where the assy mounted to the forks? or from fairing to light assy?

Also, do you have any close up pics of the brackets you had made to attach your K4 to the forks....really any and all pics you have of the headlight up close, from the front, side, etc would be awesome. I have been searching your posts but I think Flickr is owning me again!

Thanks again, David. You are making this too easy for all the hell I have went throught to get nowhere! :rockon:

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Wavex, did you use any rubber isolators where the assy mounted to the forks? or from fairing to light assy?

Also, do you have any close up pics of the brackets you had made to attach your K4 to the forks....really any and all pics you have of the headlight up close, from the front, side, etc would be awesome. I have been searching your posts but I think Flickr is owning me again!

Thanks again, David. You are making this too easy for all the hell I have went throught to get nowhere! :rockon:

I can check it out later from home, but in the mean time, did you check my youtube conversion videos? see the video link in my sign below... one of the video shows the fork clamps I had used (sold by kmp as well for like 50 euros) and they do indeed use rubber isolators (that I had to cut to make them fit, see video)... I think the video shows the brackets I had created as well...

Send me a pm to remind me to look for these pics or else I won't remember (new baby just arrived 2 days ago :D).

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
I can check it out later from home, but in the mean time, did you check my youtube conversion videos? see the video link in my sign below... one of the video shows the fork clamps I had used (sold by kmp as well for like 50 euros) and they do indeed use rubber isolators (that I had to cut to make them fit, see video)... I think the video shows the brackets I had created as well...

Send me a pm to remind me to look for these pics or else I won't remember (new baby just arrived 2 days ago :D).

No, youtube is the same as flickr at work.....non existant!

I will try and check it out on the house computer some day I am not busy.

Congrats again on the baby!

Will send p.m. :thumbup: