Recommend me tires

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've got about 4000 miles or so on my bike and I am planning on putting about 10,000 miles on this coming summer just from my 100 mile a day commute to work, and then the extra weekend riding on top of that.

The stock bridgestones are just ok, but I want to get a new set of tires that will be better. The rear isn't as squared off as some I have seen, but I belive this may become an issue with all of the highway miles. I plan on switching to new tires before the stockers are really worn out anyway though. When I bought my GS-500 the front tire was one with a groove down the center of it. I VERY much dislike this groove in the center because much of the highway I am on has small grooves running with the lane, and they are not straight by any description. I switched that tire to I believe an Avon Storm AV55 ST. It was really nice and I could tell the difference over the stocker on that.

The commute will be 92% freeway at 70-75mph and 8% city at 35mph or lower. I will be riding the bike in rain or shine. I like to ride aggressively on the twistys on the weekends so a good cornering grip is also important to me. I also 2-up about 60% of the time on weekends so load handling and what not are also important to me.

I realize at over 10,000 miles I will probably go through more than one set, with the riding that I do, and I may try two different sets over the summer depending on what I get and how I like it and what is recommended to me by you.

Anyone who has experience with different tires in similar situations as to mine are welcome to give me suggestions for tires so I can start looking early and if I find a set that I want, I have time for some sort of deal to come around.

Thank you. Much appreciated.

W

wrightme43

I wore my stock Bridgestone out at 8920 miles. I replaced them with Avon Storm ST. I replaced the front at 10436 due to a defect. Things happen. I am at 13013 miles now. 4093 miles on the Storm ST. I really really like them. I feel very confident in the rain, and on wet, cold roads. I feel very confident on dry warm roads. They ride well two up, they ride well single.

The next set I get will either be more Avon Storm ST tires or the Michellin pilot road 2ct.