A few headlight questions...

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
So after sleeping in all morning and playing Tetris on this site till noon, I decided to get out of bed and actually do something productive.

It was a brisk 33 degrees out, so riding was out of the question, however, messing with it was not. So I decided to do the dual headlight mod and see what else I could get into.

I started off by pulling the inner fairings out, which to my surprise was not that difficult at all. I decided to splice the wire as low as I could with this project and after finding the wire that I need I spliced into it and ran a long wire over to the right side head light just to see if I did it right, and I did. However the connectors that I had to do the job were not big enough for the headlight. So I ended up buying these high heat headlight connectors at my local auto parts store. Each connector had three wires, red, black and green. So for the right side, I used the green wire for the low beam to do the dual headlight mod.

Here is where the fun part come is.

I liked how both headlights were on for the low beam, but unfortunately, I did not like how only one light is the high beam, I would like to see both lights pick up to high beams. I ran power from the right side light over to the green wire on the left side so I would have power to run the high beam if I could make something work. Well it worked but unfortunately there is no way to get the H4 bulbs in that left side light. The opening is too small.

Does anyone know if there is a H4 bulb that is smaller or if there is a way to get a different headlight assm that has a larger opening for the H4? Something off and R1 or R6 maybe?

DSCF3871.jpg

DSCF3872.jpg

DSCF3874.jpg

Also, I am planning on doing the pod light deal later on, and use them for turn signals as well. The connector I need is off a 03' R1 correct? Has anyone been able to order the wiring harness for the European models to do the pod light deal? If so that would really be the ideal thing to do.

Thanks for the input guys.

-bryan

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Did I stump you guys or confuse you?

I'm stumped, I also have a suggestion though. get the Bi-Xenon HID kit that uses the same bulb but has a magnetic mechanism that simulated the high/low beam without a different bulb. Just order one single bulb kit for each side, that way you also get HID lighting at the same time.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm stumped, I also have a suggestion though. get the Bi-Xenon HID kit that uses the same bulb but has a magnetic mechanism that simulated the high/low beam without a different bulb. Just order one single bulb kit for each side, that way you also get HID lighting at the same time.

You want to be usefull and contribute something again? LoL

-bryan

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok so with the left side being a H7...well this would get complicated real quick and expensive at the same time. Going to do some more research.

-bryan

Last edited:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like you should be able to modify the bulb mount itself from an H3 bulb which is a dual filament hi/low bulb by cutting it down to the same mount size of the H7. It would be tricky considering vibrations and fingerprints aren't all that great for bulbs but if you can figure out how to cut the flat metal mount without damaging the bulb then you should be able to do it. I might try it for fun and take some pics, but probably not for a few days to a week. But i looked at the bulbs at VIP next door to my work and it looks possible.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
they don't make a hi/low version of the H7, but there is a thread on here that shows how to make an H4 fit into the H7 side (low beam) if you bought the dual H4 hi/low beam kit and modified one of the bulbs then i think it would work out perfect. I have the low beam as an HID right now, (sorry guys i forgot the camera when i went to put it in so no install pics) and the low beam is super bright but the high beam now looks oddly yellow orangish and dim when the hi/low is on. I will get some pics of that when i get out to see the bike again, but i actually might just leave it since nobody oncoming should see the high beam on. but we'll see...

fudge_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Good idea for a mod it would be cool to have 2 lb and 2 hb lights. but you might want to consider putting in a automotive light relay so you don't have both filaments on at the same time in one bulb when you switch on your hb lights. this is what i did for the dual lb mod. you could easily rewire this to run both both lb and both hb.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Heres a standard H7 HID bulb would this work in conjuction with the h4-3 Hid system :confused:

i don;t see what that replacement h7 bulb wouldn't work with a h4 bi xenon system, it would not have a high beam option but after splicing the wired to that bulb it would definately get you all the peices that you would need.