Breaking in new tires

WeWonItThreeTimes

Reaction score
Visit site
Gonna put a new set of pilot power 2ct on my FZ6. Was wondering of Your way of breaking in new tyres.

I usually take it very easy for the first 50 kms, then make my lean angle bigger and bigger.

Any advices from more experienced riders?

V

VDITRAINING

during a race once...i took the first 25 laps easy until my tires were broken in then i gave her hell for the next 75 laps until i finally snuck my way back to the back of the pack. I finished dead last, but I felt good because I gave the tires a proper scrub in and prolonged their life.

(none)

Not even here
Reaction score
Visit site
Really, you don't have to worry much about it. Tire companies don't use mold release compounds any more. The only real worry you have is making sure none of the tire lube used to put the tires on the wheels is on the tread. Other then that, you are pretty much good to go. The limiting factor is you getting used to the new tires. Also, make sure they are up to the proper inflation, It can only take 20psi or so to seat the beads of the tires, then the installer might have just stopped filling the tires

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Really, you don't have to worry much about it. Tire companies don't use mold release compounds any more. The only real worry you have is making sure none of the tire lube used to put the tires on the wheels is on the tread. Other then that, you are pretty much good to go. The limiting factor is you getting used to the new tires. Also, make sure they are up to the proper inflation, It can only take 20psi or so to seat the beads of the tires, then the installer might have just stopped filling the tires

+1

Just get them up to temp and then rail.

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
With new or used tires, there is one and ONLY one concern: Make sure to warm them up before pushing the cornering limits.

When I first started doing trackdays, I would use Michelin Pilot Powers. Brand new, 0 miles, I'd swing out for the first session, take about 2 laps to warm them up and proceed to ride at full pace. This means I "scrubbed them in" for a grand total of 5 miles before expecting them to perform at 100%. I never experienced any traction issues related to the lack of mileage. And yet, if I took the same tires out later in the day and pushed hard without 2 warm up laps, they would slide and squirm under hard braking and acceleration like there was water on the track.

Believe or not, it's just that simple.

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I like to stand up on the high side so to speak, just to get all that squeaky feel off the tire (rub your fingers on the shiny bits). Standing on the high side enables you to get more of the tire exposed without the need for high speed cornering, so there is less worry about grip.

The tires in these photos were installed 20 minutes prior to the photography sesh...lol.

Totally no dramas.:thumbup:

View attachment 21614

View attachment 21615

View attachment 21616

View attachment 21617

View attachment 21618

Cheers
Mike

audible

Hear Me?
Reaction score
Visit site
just mounted my Dunlop Road Smarts...Dunlop has it right on the tire sticker/label: "Use caution for 100miles after install". I thinks it's CYA!!!!!