Pro-Tec Frame Sliders

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
For Christmas I got a set of Pro-Tek sliders for the FZ. Yesterday evening I went to bolt them on, and get hung up. First snag was that I didnt have a large enough allen to remove the factory bolt. Does anyone know off the top of their head as to what size that is so I can go purchase it today?

Second snag was that the sliders are two different lengths. One is a good bit shorter than the other and the directions say that the longer slider should go on the right hand side of the bike. This doesnt make much since seing that the shorter slider would do nothing for the left side because the ignition sticks out so much in comparison to the frame.

Any one have any ideas on this?

-bryan

Last edited:

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
You need an 8mm Allen Key to remove the factory bolt.

Not sure about the different lengths as my Evotech ones I fitted were the same length for both sides.

Thanks! I will be sure to run out and get one shortly. I have to finish installing the hardwoods in my parents bedroom first, lol.

Anyone else have any ideas for the sliders? I think I am going to go with my better judgement and run the longer slider on the left side.

-bryan

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Second snag was that the sliders are two different lengths. One is a good bit shorter than the other and the directions say that the longer slider should go on the right hand side of the bike. This doesnt make much since seing that the shorter slider would do nothing for the left side because the ignition sticks out so much in comparison to the frame.

Any one have any ideas on this?

-bryan[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure if the difference in lengths is a mistake, I have another brand of sliders and one is longer than the other. The longer one is suppose to be on the left side (crankcase cover side). I don't know about the others.:Lurking:

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not sure if the difference in lengths is a mistake, I have another brand of sliders and one is longer than the other. The longer one is suppose to be on the left side (crankcase cover side). I don't know about the others.:Lurking:

I went ahead and put them on that way, with the left side being the longer side.

However I was wondering, at which point on the left side do yall put yours. I figured the top one, but there is a lower one that is closer to the front. Anyone tried that?

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I went ahead and put them on that way, with the left side being the longer side.

However I was wondering, at which point on the left side do yall put yours. I figured the top one, but there is a lower one that is closer to the front. Anyone tried that?
Post some pics please.

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice work on your website and your bike ;-)

Thank you for sharing...

I am looking forward to getting my first bike... Currently I am looking at a previously-owned 2006 FZ6. It has very low mileage and is in tip-top shape. Having recently passed my 3-day motorcycle safety course I can hardly wait to ride my future FZ6.

Cheers.

crazy_canuck

Reaction score
Visit site
I had the same problem with my sliders, one being shorter than the other. Mine came with no instructions so I just used my analytical type personality and put the longer one on the side that stuck out farther (left side I believe). Guess they determined that you could just figure it out for yourself. oh well, they went on in a snap and look not too shabby and will protect the bike so I'm pretty happy.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Yea. The instructions were on the back of the package for me, which I thought was odd.

However I wouldn't mind getting another long slider for the right side. I went on a 200 mile trip yesterday and at one point I had to get on the highway for a 10 miles or so. It was nice to prop my legs over the slider or put my feet up on them and stretch...

The short one works for that, however my left foot has a little more room to move on it, than my right with that side being so much shorter.

-bryan