Tires that fit and Reviews.

W

wrightme43

I know there are more, but I am stopping for right now. Please feel free to correct any errors, voice any opinions as to what is good or not, and why you feel that way.

W

wrightme43

Maxxis makes tires that fit. They are a division of Cheng Shin. I have installed those tires on big trucks. Not because I thought it was a good idea, but because I was paid to. If you want to buy their tires here is there site.
http://www.maxxis.com/products/motorcycle/find_your_tire.asp
They smell funny too. You know the smell, cheap rubber mallets at a flea market smell the same way.
This is only my opinion and not the opinion of the board.

J

jeffm

Stock Tires in the Rain

What is the general consensus on handling with our stock tires in the rain? So far they seem fine for the street under fry conditions.

Thanks Jeff

W

wrightme43

Mine go just fine in the rain. I have the Bridgestone battle axe tires though so if you have dunlops you will have to ask one of the poor souls who have them.
When mine wear out its Avon storm st, or Metzler Z6, or Michellin pilot roads for me.
I am doing my best to wear them out. LOL

S

sportrider

I had the dunlopes D252. they lasted me 3100 miles I had no problems with them, when I changed them out the front still looked good the rear was bald up the center. for an OEM replacement tire it was around $290.00 just for the rear,so I switched to michellin pilot powers, the set cost me $405.00 mounted. I loved the way the michellins handled, turn in was much quicker than with the D252s, they made the bike feel lighter flicking it from side to side, the grip was outstanding, on the downside, the front tire was badly cupped and the rear was really thin at 2300 miles, right now I'm running a set of shinko advance 005, so far they are holding up well. right now I have 1119 miles on them the front is still smooth reading just under 4/32nds of an inch,it was 4/32nds new. the rear is at 4/32nds it was 6/32nds new. compared to the pilots the steering feels alittle heavier with the shinkos, also high speed stability suffers alittle, the bike feels alittle bit nervous where with the pilots it felt very stable, but that is only at very high speeds. under 120 its not to bad, and at legal speeds you won't notice at all. the stock dunlopes were more stable at high speeds, the steering input is comparable. but for $215.00 for the set I think they are good so far.

I keep everyone posted :D

Last edited by a moderator:

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
Michelin Pilots

I have pilots on mine. Last set i ran for 4700 miles.:thumbup: Everything else gets around 3500 miles. I dont race...much...and when i do its at the drag strip. I also only ride aggressively on rides with my friends, we usually hit a lot of twisties. Other than those rare occassions i use the bike for a commuter and cruiser. A lot of other softer tires i have no use for and the harder tires im not as confident with. I know the pilots are not classified as a touring tire, but they have never let me down.

All of the opinions adressed in this post are the sole property of the typer and are protected by the copyright laws of the country of origin. Any attempt to recreate or reinact any of the opinions of this post will be delt with accordingly. Any attempt to read this without prior authorization from the author will be in violation of such laws and therefore all criminal parties involved, including relatives of the criminal parties will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Have a nice day and ignore this crap i wrote above. Be safe.

S

sportrider

shinko tire update

I now have 2555 miles on the shinkos 005. that's 1436 miles since my last update. the front tire is now measuring 3/32nds showing signs of feathering on the edges of the tread, also I noticed some small cracks around the edges of the rain grooves where they meet the tread. the tire still is relatively smooth, only very mild cupping. (if not for the cracking I'd go two fronts to one rear, for commuting duties) the rear tire is worn noticeably. the center contact patch is measuring 1.5/32nds. I should get to the 3000 mile mark but, judging from the wear, it will be very close to completely bald.
In my opinion, performance has deteriorated slightly on the last "real" ride I went on, I felt the front slip a few times on what appeared to be clean pavement. it may have just been the road, but it was enough to sway my confidence and slow the pace. still my opinion of the shinko advance 005, is for the price if most of your riding is commuting with the occasional weekend canyon ride, I think they are a good deal. the next report on these tires will be the final mileage. until then they get :thumbup::thumbup:

W

wrightme43

Battle ax BT020R review. Stock OEM tire.
7696 miles.
3/32s remain on the rear.
4/32s remain on the front.

28 dragstrip passes
6 passes on the dragon
4 passes chenowa skyway
At least 300 miles of parking lot practice.

Lost traction exactly one time on dry pavement. Severe lean angle, way to much throttle. Operator error not a tire problem.
Lost traction on gravel. Not designed for gravel, but have traveled at least 60 miles on gravel roads. OK but not reccomended as a offroad tire.
Never lost traction on wet pavement. As a matter of fact very well mannered on wet pavement.
Air pressure check weekly.
Whenever haul passanger or saddle bags, uped the pressure to the higher settings.
Rear squared off rather quickly but gave no problems with feel leaning into the round portion.
Front began to feather and cup at around 4500 miles that has continued but does not seem to be a large problem as it is wearing slightly slower than the rear.
I believe I can get 8000 miles out of these tires if I try. From my experince with these I would recommend them. I am very pleased with the wear, and the traction in all situations.
I will probley buy the BT21 battle ax next as it is on sale for 224 front and rear. It is supposed to provide similar traction with a longer wear, and it looks better losing the center section that I think contributes to the cupping and feathering on the front tire.
All in All a very good tire, and if you have the choice of bike with the Battle Ax Vs. the Dunlop in my opinion you would be wise to choose the Battle Ax.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with all the above, apart from had big step out in the wet, probably diesel induced. I have also used the Dunnies on a different bike. I am very pleased with the 020. Has anyone tried the 021's yet or mixed 020's with
021's? I know they are not meant to be compatible but you know how it is when the rear wears quicker than the front. I have also had 014's but these were worn when I got the bike. They did seem very good during cornering though.

S

sportrider

final report

since the last report I put another 290 miles on the shinkos bringing the total mileage up to 2845 miles. I could have got to the 3000 mile mark but with brand new michelin pilot powers sitting in the garage it wasn't worth the wait.
the final tread depth reading was just under 3/32nds on the front and less than .5/32 on the rear. my final thoughts on the shinkos are, if your main riding is low speed around town or commuting at posted speed limits the shinkos are a good buy I found them as cheap as $78.99 for a 120/70 ZR17 front and $108.99 for a 180/55 ZR17 rear. for that price if you don't need the 10/10ths performance go for it. I did find they lack a little in high speed stability and they are noticeably heavier than a michilen pilot power(the worn shinkos still weigh more than a brand new pilot) also when riding aggressively the shinkos never really get to the "sticky" point like other brands of sport tires (dunlope qualifiers/ pilot powers) the rubber seems a little harder transmitting a little more harshness of the road and removing a little mid corner confidence when pushing the bike. that being said, I would buy the shinkos again if funds were tight but I'd rather wait an extra paycheck to get a more sport oriented tire.
:Sport:

boliviasi

Reaction score
Visit site
i just change my stok rear tire after 11k nilles its was done, i got Michellin pilot road.. i'm still using the stock front tire

pchbreeze

Custom Abuser
Reaction score
Visit site
once again, i found ANOTHER nail in my tire, at the worst possible time (top of Angeles Cresh Highway).

I was going with the Pirelli extended mileage ones but after getting so many nails in the stockers (I replaced it once already because I didn't want to plug it when my bike was still new) that I have to admit, it just feels great to know that those things handle nails great.

I've heard of rear wheels blowing with a flat, and my stockers never blew...just kept the nail and even the air pressure.

I'm sticking with what I have.

I have about 6500 on them, and they are toward the end of their life right now but I'm going to go with them again most likely.

By the way, didn't Pirelli have a chart on their website for application and tire? I cant remember which one was their extended mileage tire and cant find it on their site.