1 Piece vs. 2 Piece Leather Gear

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am considering in purchasing some leather goods. I often hear about the benefits of wearing leather vs. textile material on bike gear. Does anyone have any suggestion to which is the best? best deal (bang for my buck)? I've seen some for under $600 to over $1000 but there are so many out there. A little strap for cash now so I'm currently saving up for next year. Also is there a season to wear leather? Any answers will help. Thank you all.:Lurking:

M

MSunder

Hello,

I always wear leather, it´s a 2-piece suit that I bought over the time. In the cold time, I wear Thermo-underwear under it and in the summer only a T-Shirt. Here in germany you become a good suit for around 600€ (ca. 850US$). I read a few tests, were the leather suits are much better at a crash than textil suits. I think the money is worth spent. And don´t forget a backprotector. ( You only got one life and this is a much more worth than a suit )

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello,

I always wear leather, it´s a 2-piece suit that I bought over the time. In the cold time, I wear Thermo-underwear under it and in the summer only a T-Shirt. Here in germany you become a good suit for around 600€ (ca. 850US$). I read a few tests, were the leather suits are much better at a crash than textil suits. I think the money is worth spent. And don´t forget a backprotector. ( You only got one life and this is a much more worth than a suit )

the season to wear leather is spring, summer, fall, and winter. I admit that i don't wear full leather all the time but always the leather jacket. This made my choice of the 2 peice suit an easy choice so that i have a really nice leather jacket that is ready to zip completely to my pants when i want to wear those too.

H

HavBlue

the season to wear leather is spring, summer, fall, and winter. I admit that i don't wear full leather all the time but always the leather jacket. This made my choice of the 2 piece suit an easy choice so that i have a really nice leather jacket that is ready to zip completely to my pants when i want to wear those too.

I have First Gear Textile. I have leather that I wear on the Harley. The leather is very thick and heavy but the one bad thing is in the cold temps of winter that stuff is stiff as a pine board. Given the choice I like 2 pieces. Especially when I have to take a dump at some out of the way place..... giggle, giggle...

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have First Gear Textile. I have leather that I wear on the Harley. The leather is very thick and heavy but the one bad thing is in the cold temps of winter that stuff is stiff as a pine board. Given the choice I like 2 pieces. Especially when I have to take a dump at some out of the way place..... giggle, giggle...

ROFLMAO!!! good point about the dumps, you always have to think practically about these things

H

HavBlue

ROFLMAO!!! good point about the dumps, you always have to think practically about these things

Hey, when you have to go you have to go and that one piece suit could make the difference between hitting the desired target or wasting a good pair of leathers..... Not to mention the boxers....

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
The Joe Rocket line of motorcycle gear is great value for money if you're on a tight budget (like me). I was able to buy both a 2 piece textile suit and a 2 piece leather suit (over the course of 2006, not all at once). My Joe Rocket Alter Ego textile jacket is great...its a "3-in-1" jacket, that has removable panels that leave a mesh covering that is very cool in summer, while retaining the shoulder, elbow and back armour. It comes with a rain jacket that is actually worn underneath the jacket...not that practical, but it certainly works. I got the Ballistic textile pants, as they come in the correct leg size for my normal 5'8" Brit frame.
For leather, I finally got a Joe Rocket Sonic jacket and JR Blaster pants. They join together using the 360 degree zipper that comes with both.
There are some fantastic deals on JR gear right now, both on the 'net and in stores in the US (we're still being gouged in Canada, despite the strength of our dollar against the US dollar). For sizing, JR sizes are a bit more loose than other brands. I am 175 lbs., but find the JR medium jacket to be snug without being too tight. I can barely zip up an Alpinestars medium, for example. Both of my jackets and pants go on and off relatively easily, and allow easy access for the call of nature, which occurs with ever-increasing frequency at my age.:mad:
Yes, Joe Rocket may not be the "best" leather available, but it looks good, is well made and will certainly stand up a bit better than textile or skin in the event of a tumble.
(Sheesh...I should be selling JR gear instead of Subaru's....:D )

Last edited:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a Joe Rocket 2-piece suit. I have crash tested it on the track and can happily report that they are well made. No tears, all of the stitching held together and the full circumference zipper worked as advertised.

They have several models available at NewEnough right now, check them out:
New Enough-Joe Rocket
New Enough- bargain basement

Good to know since i have the Joe Rocket Suit. Also make sure you try on the different suits. I tried a motophoria that was the same size as my rocket and couldn't even get into it and the Rocket is perfect.

Maverick

Reaction score
Visit site
I too like Joe Rocket leather kit... I have a JR factory Yamaha replica jacket and JR speedmaster pants... The jacket and pants fit perfect together and have armor and zip together.

Buy what you can afford and slowly build up your gear. The ideal situation is to ride with all the gear all the time (ATGATT).

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the great replies. I will certainly try the Joe Rocket brand. I guess the 2Piece leather is the way to go...... especially when the time comes when I do need to "go", hahaha. Definitely need to save up. My best bud got himself two leather jackets: one with perforations (holes/vents) and one without
for the colder days. Since I'm strap for cash any advice on which is better?? :confused:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the great replies. I will certainly try the Joe Rocket brand. I guess the 2Piece leather is the way to go...... especially when the time comes when I do need to "go", hahaha. Definitely need to save up. My best bud got himself two leather jackets: one with perforations (holes/vents) and one without
for the colder days. Since I'm strap for cash any advice on which is better?? :confused:

the jacket on my Joe Rocket suit has some vents that open on the front and back that work surprisingly well considering they are small holes they give tons of airflow.:thumbup:

H

HavBlue

I always buy my jackets 1 size larger than I need. The reason for this is it gives me the ability to layer when needs be and at that point the vents won't mean a lot.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
I always buy my jackets 1 size larger than I need. The reason for this is it gives me the ability to layer when needs be and at that point the vents won't mean a lot.

Great advice. ;)
The first leather jacket I bought was an Alpinestars 'Ice' jacket while down in the US. Alpinestars sizes according to European sizes, so although my instincts told me that the Large fitted the best, and would allow me to layer, the young lady serving me said I should buy the Medium as it was more snug and wouldn't "ride up" if I crashed. She also said that I looked really good in it so I foolishly bought it. (instead of "layer" I was obviously thinking "lay 'er"). :D
(There's no fool like an old fool... :eek: )
It was, of course, WAY too tight on my 5'8, 175 lb frame....I'm not saying that I inflated like a life raft when I unzipped it, but it was a blessed relief to do so.
I sold it (too much hassle to return to the store in the US) and bought the Joe Rocket in Medium, which allows me to layer under it:-
-thermal t-shirt
-fleece sweater
-vest
I could probably wear at least one more layer without discomfort.
I must admit, though...I did cut quite a dash in the Alpinestars jacket. :D
Be sure to spend as much time as you need to get the right fit....it's worth it.

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i was looking online at the Joe Rocket 2 piece leather, they look very nice not so much with the price. i also went to cyclegear.com and remember seeing some Frank Thomas leather gear, can't beat the price. Just wondering if it's a good brand/gear? Does anyone have them (Frank Thomas) and do you like them?

Maverick

Reaction score
Visit site
i was looking online at the Joe Rocket 2 piece leather, they look very nice not so much with the price. i also went to cyclegear.com and remember seeing some Frank Thomas leather gear, can't beat the price. Just wondering if it's a good brand/gear? Does anyone have them (Frank Thomas) and do you like them?

I'm sure we'll find people happy and unhappy with any brand, but this review put me of the Frank Thomas stuff when I was looking around (comes apart at the seems in a crash)...

Epinions.com - Compare Prices and Read Reviews on Frank Thomas FTL225: Sabre 1 piece motorcycle racing suit at Epinions.com

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site
If you are thinking of 1 piece suits see these videos. It's what turned me against 1 pc suits since I don't do track days

[nomedia]http://youtube.com/watch?v=yoRVz0BqVe4[/nomedia]
[nomedia]http://youtube.com/watch?v=M1jMks_XZhc[/nomedia]

bikerider

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What about the suits that have the upper back hump in them. are they better. I have read that some tracks require back protectors. Is this considered a back protector or would i still have to wear one under the suit. :Sport: