Front tire randomly loses air

wizer186

Reaction score
Visit site
So I had posted back a while ago trying to get some help in the garage area on why my bike's handling randomly went haywire. I didn't think to check the tire at the time because it looked fine at first glance, I was focusing on the forks and bearings and etc. etc.

Well I happened to check my tire pressure today after 2-3 weeks of not figuring out the problem, and the front tire pressure was EXTREMELY low. I could press on it and force it in.

Well then... that is the problem. I figured maybe I had been extremely careless letting my tire pressure get low, somehow.

So I filled it to 36 psi today, and everything was back to normal. Great. Awesome.

I rode around quite a bit afterward and everything was great. I got home, let it sit for about 4 hours, and then took it down the street. On the way back I noticed that all of a sudden the handling went back to how it had been the last couple weeks, instantly. Just like it happened the first time.

When I parked it the tire pressure had gone way back down again.

What IS that? What is the problem? If the tire had a leak I would think it would slowly leak out, not all in a single moment. Plus not all of the air is out, just a significant amount.

Looks like I'm going to have to take this into the shop, unless one of you has some clue as to what the problem is/how to fix it?

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Sounds like a piece of wire, or a screw in the tire..... it doesn't leak until you stress the tire, then it seeps past the penetrant. Get a couple of cups of soapy water, and pour it on the tire tread. That should show you where the leak is....

Moses195

Reaction score
Visit site
A small slit somewhere and while riding it is losing air. Or if parked just right in the garage it'll let loose a lot of air quickly? Do the soapy water. After pumping it up again.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Could be a slow bead leak. Fill the tire and spray it with soapy water and try to find where there are new bubbles appearing. Make sure you rinse that soap off before you ride it again.

Cliff