FZ6 PodMod lights.

W

wrightme43

Using 2x 194 bulb sockets with wires. 2x 194 LED amber bulbs, 14-16g blue buttconnectors, wire, and heat shrink.

Drill the pod light mounts out. Trim the sockets to fit, I used the black with yellow wire factory harness wire as ground, and the blue with red acessory wire for 12v pos. Heat shrinked and sealed.

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Using 2x 194 bulb sockets with wires. 2x 194 LED amber bulbs, 14-16g blue buttconnectors, wire, and heat shrink.

Drill the pod light mounts out. Trim the sockets to fit, I used the black with yellow wire factory harness wire as ground, and the blue with red acessory wire for 12v pos. Heat shrinked and sealed.

Very nice. I've been looking into doing something like this can you post step by step with pics on how you came about doing this. Would appreciate it alot. Thanks.

PS: Happy Holidays and a Prosperous New Year.:Sport:

W

wrightme43

Um pics are right out because I didnt take any. LOL

Its really really easy.
Remove side panels.
The place where the bulb sockets go in Europe are obvious. Drill them out, or heat a knife and cut them out to fit the sockets you buy. Using very simple electical supply 12v to one side and Ground to the other. It takes just a few minutes.

H

HavBlue

Um pics are right out because I didnt take any. LOL

Its really really easy.
Remove side panels.
The place where the bulb sockets go in Europe are obvious. Drill them out, or heat a knife and cut them out to fit the sockets you buy. Using very simple electical supply 12v to one side and Ground to the other. It takes just a few minutes.

I'm thinking LED would be much brighter and last far longer. This does however look very good and much different than the 04-06.

W

wrightme43

Yes I got 1194 bulbs made with LEDs. It has 4 (sales lit to follow) Super Wide Angle Super Bright LEDs. They were 9.99 for two.

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
please excuse my stupidity..I always need pictures to explain what someone has done so can you just tell me what this mod is?

I have been asking about these "pod lights" in the topic: "Which Bulbs"

Is this exactly what you have done?

W

wrightme43

In the US the little bulbs that go inside the headlamp pockets are not installed from the factory.
Where you live if I am right they come installed. Basicly I made my bike like yours.

Here is a before and after pic.

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
This is mine, straight from the shop! Lights installed...I just want to turn these lights into the indicators and take the stock indicators off.

I'm just wondering how to go about this...if its simply a plug and play job then I'm happy!

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This is mine, straight from the shop! Lights installed...I just want to turn these lights into the indicators and take the stock indicators off.

I'm just wondering how to go about this...if its simply a plug and play job then I'm happy!

Just a thought, can the turn signal wiring be rerouted to the pod lights? If so this may turn any pod lights into turn signals as well.:eek:

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Scorphonic, what kind of bulb did the factory use on yours? Is it a 194?

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
Scorphonic, what kind of bulb did the factory use on yours? Is it a 194?

Oooo all these names of bulbs!!

I have another topic on this one. I know now that they are W5W (501 and possibly also refered to as 194)...all different names for the W5W bulb!! :)

@ Blue Monday, The indicators have their own plug connection and the parking lights (pod lights) have another type of connection. I'm going to check tomorrow to see if I can pull the cables out of the pod lights and put the indicator cables in there instead.

Of course I'll have to get my hands on amber lights now!! :):) have been considering going for LED's on this one...

Last edited:

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Oooo all these names of bulbs!!

I have another topic on this one. I know now that they are W5W (501 and possibly also refered to as 194)...all different names for the W5W bulb!! :)

Thanks for the part number! From what I can find, the W5W is either a 5W or 6W bulb while the 194 is only a 3W bulb. Both look like they will fit into the same socket. I might have to consider some of those.

Miscellaneous Bulbs

P.S. wrightme, I like your setup :thumbup:

H

HavBlue

Thanks for the part number! From what I can find, the W5W is either a 5W or 6W bulb while the 194 is only a 3W bulb. Both look like they will fit into the same socket. I might have to consider some of those.

Miscellaneous Bulbs

P.S. wrightme, I like your setup :thumbup:

Hey, if you really want to set the front of that bike off hook them up with a Bosch relay and flasher so they will waggle back and forth. A couple of blue bulbs and you shouldn't have any problems passing cages anymore...giggle, giggle

W

wrightme43

LOL
I dont know what the overseas ones are. I just used a 194 bulb socket because they looked like they would fit. I used a hole saw, and a heated knife blade to trim the factory plastic, and to trim the bulb sockets to fit the way I wanted.

If I wanted to I could convert to a different socket with a two fillament bulb and run them as Turn Signals and Running lights. I like my factory signals and running lights, so these were added as additional running lights. The picture is not exactly like what it looks like in person. The way the diffraction lines on the lens split the light really looks cool from the side.

I am happy.

B

Bo67

Looks cool Steve. I want to do mine like the UK variant (clear running lights) but the amber does look good!

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i want to do this with them acting as indicator lights. Anyone know how to hook them up as running lights that will still blink?

W

wrightme43

You have to use a load equalizer type thingy to have them on and blink as well with one filament.
www.signaldynamics.com is the place to go. Ask them.

No I dont think there is enough room for a 3157 or 1157 or 1156, you will need to use one of the smaller bodied bulbs and sockets. The 1198 socket is almost too big, I am sure Yamaha has one that is made perfect but I just bought what looked like it would fit and made it work.