How to install a gas tank and remove a fuel pump??

AdamDJ

Reaction score
Visit site
Well my new / 95% mint tank just arrived today.. It is black ( my fav color :) ) and in near mint condition.. Just has a couple light scratches and a tiny quarter sized dent on the side.. I will mount it like it is but eventually take out the small dent and paint it satin black to match the rest of the parts on the bike I have painted.. The best part was the price. I got it for only 92 bucks shipped!!

So after I opened the box and got it out I notced some rattling coming from the inside, like there is sand or something in it that I need to get out before installing it so I dont clog any of the fuel system.. So how do I remove the fuel pump to clean the tank out?? I've unbolted it but it seems a bit too large for the hole to come out..

Any tips for installing the tank, or should I just have a shop do it for me to avoid messy spilled fuel, etc..

Here are some pics.. The silver tank is what came on the bike and unforunatly came with 4 or 5 small dents and an ugly tank pad..

Thanks guys!!

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
Here is an exploded view that might help compliments of Yamaha Global Home parts catalog:
partimage.gifx

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My view is that if it went in it will come out. Even Yamaha have not worked out the ship in the bottle system when it comes to fuel pumps. You need to get some biker buddies round and get your heads together. I would try to do this myself.

As for the tank, I would get the dent out and paint it before I put it on because you know it will take months to get round to taking it off again and by that time the riding season is back again, etc, etc.

What did you do to your tank to get it in that condition?

Steve

AdamDJ

Reaction score
Visit site
My view is that if it went in it will come out. Even Yamaha have not worked out the ship in the bottle system when it comes to fuel pumps. You need to get some biker buddies round and get your heads together. I would try to do this myself.

As for the tank, I would get the dent out and paint it before I put it on because you know it will take months to get round to taking it off again and by that time the riding season is back again, etc, etc.

What did you do to your tank to get it in that condition?

Steve

Im not sure what happened to the tank.. I bought the bike like that.. The biggest dent looks like a car door hit it.. The other ones are really small.. There are no scratches or anything on the frame though so Im positive its not from any accidents or being layed down..

Kilbane83

Member With Members
Reaction score
Visit site
It's pretty easy to diy. Just make sure you buy the o-ring part #12 and if you can torque it to spec (2.9ftlb) or it can damage the seal. Speaking from experience here. If you don't have a torque, tighten the bolts with a allen wrench just past snug in a star pattern, like tightening lugnuts. If you can get the tank on reserve and keep it on end (bolt mount on the ground) then gas shouldn't be too bad as far as getting all over but there is no way to not make a little mess.

AdamDJ

Reaction score
Visit site

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I remember when I changed my tank it was almost empty, I just turned it upside down with the cap closed and removed the pump, fitted the pump to the new tank and then swapped the cap across.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just like I said "You need to get some biking buddies around"

When I looked at that diagram I could see that block would be the problem. Maybe it is a good tip to always look at the diagrams before starting the work.

Steve

AdamDJ

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys! I got the pump out and looked inside... SAND! it must have got in thru the filler hole since there was no gas cap.. Time for install now!

Thanks

AdamDJ

Reaction score
Visit site
So I installed the tank last night and put about a gallon of gas in and fired her up.. It works!! Then 5 min later I notice 3" spot under the bike.. Oh shiet, what is that dripping off the pipes?? So i rush to unbolt everything and there is gas coming out of the pump flange like crazy.. I dunno if its the seal or maybe a crack in the pump itself.. So today Im gonna put my original pump in this new tank and hope it works out better. It sure looked good for the 10 min it was on the bike!

W

wrightme43

Did you replace the Oring??????

Thats the ticket if you didnt.

AdamDJ

Reaction score
Visit site
Did you replace the Oring??????

Thats the ticket if you didnt.

No, and that wasnt the problem anyway.. The portion of the tank where the fuel pump meets the tank should be perfectly flush.. on this tank its bent in all directions so fuel leaks out like crazy.. This tank may be a write off.

AdamDJ

Reaction score
Visit site
So I just had an idea.. What about sealing the whole area between the pump and tank with epoxxy putty so it wont leak anymore..

Pros: Wont leak, cheap fix
Cons: cant removed the pump if I ever need to

I will have a back up tank and pump though so that isnt TOO big of a concern.. Whatcha guys think? My concern is if I take the tank to a shop its gonna to have to be cut and and new flush plate welded on and its gonna cost $$$$

Last edited:
W

wrightme43

The mounting area is damaged??? How did they do that?

Can you post a photo?

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My guess is that someone has tried to get the pump out before, and has encountered issues, as there is a trick to it...and instead of using patience, they have tried to force it, and bent it....bugger.

:eek:

AdamDJ

Reaction score
Visit site
My guess is that someone has tried to get the pump out before, and has encountered issues, as there is a trick to it...and instead of using patience, they have tried to force it, and bent it....bugger.

:eek:

Probably.. when I got the tank it had sand in it too.. SAND! The previous owner obviously wasnt the best of mechanics.. So I took it apart and vacumed all the sand out.. The tank was only 92 bucks shipped its the color
I wanted (Black) and is in like 90% mint condition so it was a sweet deal..

I just reinstalled the fuel pump using steel reinforced epoxy putty between the tank and fuel pump under the flange.. That should seal it up pretty well :) The only problem is if there is ever a problem with the fuel pump or tank, that thing is not comin out! OH well, I still have the stock tank and pump so im good.. Im gonna let the putty set overnight and then remove the flange, put a bead of epoxy all the way around the pump where it meets the tank, let it set up, put the flange back on, install it, fill it up, and cross my fingers!
Wish me luck!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Probably.. when I got the tank it had sand in it too.. SAND! The previous owner obviously wasnt the best of mechanics.. So I took it apart and vacumed all the sand out.. The tank was only 92 bucks shipped its the color
I wanted (Black) and is in like 90% mint condition so it was a sweet deal..

I just reinstalled the fuel pump using steel reinforced epoxy putty between the tank and fuel pump under the flange.. That should seal it up pretty well :) The only problem is if there is ever a problem with the fuel pump or tank, that thing is not comin out! OH well, I still have the stock tank and pump so im good.. Im gonna let the putty set overnight and then remove the flange, put a bead of epoxy all the way around the pump where it meets the tank, let it set up, put the flange back on, install it, fill it up, and cross my fingers!
Wish me luck!

Considering what you paid, and how much a new tank is to buy from Yamaha....it's still an awesome bargain...buggered fuel pump, sand, aside...new tanks direct from Yamaha are like $1300 in Australia!!!!! i know, cause i have bought one!

And yes, Black is the best colour.

Good luck with fixing it...keep us posted...

:thumbup:

AdamDJ

Reaction score
Visit site
Considering what you paid, and how much a new tank is to buy from Yamaha....it's still an awesome bargain...buggered fuel pump, sand, aside...new tanks direct from Yamaha are like $1300 in Australia!!!!! i know, cause i have bought one!

And yes, Black is the best colour.

Good luck with fixing it...keep us posted...

:thumbup:

1300??? American? Thats insane! Ya I got a sweet deal on it, but I would trade it all for your headlight!