Ducati Streetfighter headlight?

Tremulant

It's not over...
Reaction score
Visit site
So every day I go back and forth whether or not I should convert my FZ6 to a streetfighter, and I've decided I'm going to do it. I'm in no rush, as money is tight, but I'm doing a lot of research, and one thing has stumped me.

I really like the look of the Ducati Streetfighter headlight assembly. Does anyone know the info on this thing? Where to buy it, compatibility, how much. Any help here would be much appreciated.

122_0906_04_z+2009_ducati_streetfighter_s+headlights.jpg

Thanks!

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Call a Duc dealer and ask them! Be prepared for a high number. I bet it will cost you $1100 for the headlight (100% guess). Good luck, and I hope you make it happen, because that would be insanely cool (get the forks and calipers too while you're at it ha!)

Tremulant

It's not over...
Reaction score
Visit site
Good advice. I'll give the local dealer a call and see what they charge for one. If it is that high, I probably can't do it, but I'll let you guys know what they say!

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
The entire front end of the motorcycle is held on with only three bolts. All you have to do is loosen each upper tripleclamp bolt where it holds the fork tops, and remove the center bolt at the steering stem.

Once you've done that, you can lift the bike off of the front end and take away the forks, front wheel, handlebars and headlight assembly as one piece. If any wires cause you problems, just cut them.

I suggest casing the bike a few night beforehand to get an idea of the owner's habits. You want to find out what time he usually goes to sleep, when he wakes up, and if the bike has an alarm.

You may get shot and wind up in the hospital, but it'll still be cheaper than going to the Ducati dealership.

Fred

Tremulant

It's not over...
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, so I just got off the phone with the local dealer, and he said the headlight assembly runs at $650, and the brackets are about $160 each. So the whole thing would run at about $1000. He also mentioned that you would need a Ducati tach/speedo for it, and you would have to have a new key made for it. I don't know if I believe him on that one, but I might go take an look in-person at what it would take to make this happen. At the price he quoted, it probably wont happen for me, but if it does I'll be sure to post more.

Tremulant

It's not over...
Reaction score
Visit site
The entire front end of the motorcycle is held on with only three bolts. All you have to do is loosen each upper tripleclamp bolt where it holds the fork tops, and remove the center bolt at the steering stem.

Once you've done that, you can lift the bike off of the front end and take away the forks, front wheel, handlebars and headlight assembly as one piece. If any wires cause you problems, just cut them.

I suggest casing the bike a few night beforehand to get an idea of the owner's habits. You want to find out what time he usually goes to sleep, when he wakes up, and if the bike has an alarm.

You may get shot and wind up in the hospital, but it'll still be cheaper than going to the Ducati dealership.

Fred

Probably the most useful information that will be on this thread! :thumbup:

Thanks Fred :rof::rof:

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, so I just got off the phone with the local dealer, and he said the headlight assembly runs at $650, and the brackets are about $160 each. So the whole thing would run at about $1000. He also mentioned that you would need a Ducati tach/speedo for it, and you would have to have a new key made for it. I don't know if I believe him on that one, but I might go take an look in-person at what it would take to make this happen. At the price he quoted, it probably wont happen for me, but if it does I'll be sure to post more.

heh I was not too far :) although $650 for just the headlight (get your own clamp/mounting system), isn't too bad at all IMO.

Did he mention why you would need a Duc speedo/tach? Another stupid statement from a dealer numbnut... I can't imagine why he would say that, unless the headlight is wired through the OEM speedo, but that would make little sense... and even if it was, there is no reason why you couldn't splice into the wires...

razteo

Special Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, so I just got off the phone with the local dealer, and he said the headlight assembly runs at $650, and the brackets are about $160 each. So the whole thing would run at about $1000.

you will probably be able to get a 3 years old Streetfighter w/ 20k miles on from a private party for $3-4k.
It is indeed a very handsome bike: Ducati Streetfighter || Official Website

my 2 cents

Tremulant

It's not over...
Reaction score
Visit site
heh I was not too far :) although $650 for just the headlight (get your own clamp/mounting system), isn't too bad at all IMO.

Did he mention why you would need a Duc speedo/tach? Another stupid statement from a dealer numbnut... I can't imagine why he would say that, unless the headlight is wired through the OEM speedo, but that would make little sense... and even if it was, there is no reason why you couldn't splice into the wires...

Yeah, the headlight itself is actually a great deal IMO. I'm pretty sure you could make everything else work, it would probably just take some jury-rigging. I'll probably just have to take a look at it in person. I can't find a very good look at the setup on the internet...

08_SF.jpg

The speedo actually looks kind of similar to an 07+ fz6 speedo. At least the shape anyways.

The dope at the dealer didn't seem like he knew what he was talking about, so I'll take his comments at face value, and figure this one out for myself :thumbup:

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
you will probably be able to get a 3 years old Streetfighter w/ 20k miles on from a private party for $3-4k.

You're saying that if I wait 3 years from now I'll be able to buy that bike used for $3k? I doubt that very much, but if true, I'll be in line for sure...

McLovin

plain evil
Reaction score
Visit site
dude, just get the ducati streetfighter :D It would look cool for sure. Cant wait to see it if you go thru with this.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You're saying that if I wait 3 years from now I'll be able to buy that bike used for $3k? I doubt that very much, but if true, I'll be in line for sure...

Perhaps a totaled one? Those are about $19k OTD so in three years, I'm guessing $12 - $13k? Sound about right David? ;)

Last edited:

fazerider

Reaction score
Visit site
The streetfighter has only been out a few months here in the states so they will be hard pressed to get spares like that. On the other hand the Monster has been around a lot longer and the bike grave yards are a gold mine to find loose headlight assemblies from crashed bikes. I took the easy way out going naked and just traded the fazer for a monster with the headlight conversion done! I love the naked bike ride it literally is out of sight with the full face helmet on unless I look down. The helmet noise on the fazer was horrable from the windscreen and when I put the Puig screen on it got worse.
Problem solved.

The dealer knows his product and was refering to the headlight and speedo being connected to each other mechanically on the streetfighter as on my Monster shown here since there isn't a fairing between them they look like they are one unit. One of the features is the mode switch on the inside of the hi/low beam switch it controls the display next to the speedo that displays time, odo, trip, lap time, setting the light off delay time and other functions. One of the features I wasn't aware of was the 4 little lights between the upper and lower headlight they stay lit as long as the key is on but the headlight times out after a preset time to save the battery with the engine off. It was nice to roll into my dark garage with just those small lights on last night. The start stop for the lap is the high beam flash switch on the left index finger so going with the speedo set up would need the switch set from the handle bars too to get the full features a Ducati has but doing all the wiring to connect this assembley to a Yamaha might not be everyones first choice. The best way to get a streetfighter headlight is get the streetfighter connected to it IMHO. ;)

Tremulant

It's not over...
Reaction score
Visit site
The streetfighter has only been out a few months here in the states so they will be hard pressed to get spares like that. On the other hand the Monster has been around a lot longer and the bike grave yards are a gold mine to find loose headlight assemblies from crashed bikes. I took the easy way out going naked and just traded the fazer for a monster with the headlight conversion done! I love the naked bike ride it literally is out of sight with the full face helmet on unless I look down. The helmet noise on the fazer was horrable from the windscreen and when I put the Puig screen on it got worse.
Problem solved.

The dealer knows his product and was refering to the headlight and speedo being connected to each other mechanically on the streetfighter as on my Monster shown here since there isn't a fairing between them they look like they are one unit. One of the features is the mode switch on the inside of the hi/low beam switch it controls the display next to the speedo that displays time, odo, trip, lap time, setting the light off delay time and other functions. One of the features I wasn't aware of was the 4 little lights between the upper and lower headlight they stay lit as long as the key is on but the headlight times out after a preset time to save the battery with the engine off. It was nice to roll into my dark garage with just those small lights on last night. The start stop for the lap is the high beam flash switch on the left index finger so going with the speedo set up would need the switch set from the handle bars too to get the full features a Ducati has but doing all the wiring to connect this assembley to a Yamaha might not be everyones first choice. The best way to get a streetfighter headlight is get the streetfighter connected to it IMHO. ;)

Thanks for the info! Yeah, I'm afraid it might be a bit too serious of a project for me. I'm sure there would be ways to make the speedo/tach work with the ducati headlight, but I'm no good at wiring and electronics. This may be a project for someone with more experience than I.

That is a SICK looking bike by the way! :thumbup: