New Hampshire Needs More Hunters! - Close Call

BigJoeG

Reaction score
Visit site
This morning on the way to work I was on Old Concord Road here in Keene. There is a wide sweeping turn to the left with a field on the left side and a tree line on the right. There was no other traffic in either direction. I see the deer about 50 yards ahead on the right grazing about 5 to 6 feet off the road, facing away from the road. I let off the gas, downshifted and moved to the center of the road all the while thinking, “Stay there….Stay there…”

No such luck. She turns and jumps into the road. :eek: I get on the brakes hard. The deer was centered on my windscreen when I felt the rear wheel start to slide. I let off the brakes and made a diving right turn back into my lane. Felt like I just missed the animal by inches, but realistically it was probally about 3 to 4 feet.

At 35-40 mph there was time to deal with this. I would hate to think what the outcome would have been at highway speeds. Glad that deer kept going and didn't freeze up in the road.

Have you practiced your emergency stops lately?

Adirondack Jack

Don't call me " Jun ior&a
Reaction score
Visit site
Good morning BigJoeG. I know Old Concord Rd. My son lives in Keene on George St. and I'm pretty familiar with the area. We're overrun with Bambi here in the Adirondacks, too. So far I haven't had the close call. A trip to Keene to see the kid is on my agenda for the fall. It's about 3 hrs. and change from Keene, NY. I have an '07 FZ with no mods, but I kinda like it that way.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Joe, I had this happen a few weeks ago here in Durham on Rte 4. Almost the same instance.

Now, I live in Dover and don't have a lot of wooded area near me. The other night, I took the dog out for her bathroom break before bed. She went off to the back yard (lightly wooded area) and scared up 5 deer! This is city limits deer!