gas tank removal help

Scooter56

Reaction score
Visit site
Can someone please tell me how to remove my gas tank? How does the fuel line disconnect work and will there be any fuel flow when I disconnect it and the vent hoses? Thanks

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, first of all you need the shop manual which can be downloaded from this site (someone have the link???)

I believe you'll need to clamp the hoses in order to prevent spillage.

If you remove the 2 bolts up front and the one in back (by the seat) then you won't have to remove any of the fairings up front which will save your some time.

What are you trying to do that requires REMOVING your tank completely? You can prop the tank up and out of the way without actually removing it...are you getting it painted or something?
________
WEB SHOWS

Last edited:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Remove the three bolts I mentioned, lift the tank up a few inches and back a few inches, then prop the front of it up (I use a short 2x4) enough so that you can reach the battery...and you're done.

No need to mess with the fuel lines at all.
________
HOT****STAR cam

Last edited:

Scooter56

Reaction score
Visit site
You are my hero for the day, Thank you for the help, you saved me a bunch of work and knowing me probably a mess.

W

wrightme43

I have taken mine off, its not hard at all.

Remove two front bolts, lift up, the two fuel lines disconnect real easy, the power to the fuel pump disconnects easy, then set it back down, remove the rear bolt, and lift the tank off. I set it in/on a milk crate with a 1"x1" square wood under it to balance it.

It makes working on it alot easier for me. I used to work on big trucks, and RVs and just decided one day to take what ever the hell was in my way off, and then put it back on when I was done. It solves all kinds of problems for me.

RatHead

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi. I'm about to remove my tank for a respray. Will all the fuel in the tank spill out if I dont first empty it or can I empty it after a remove it? There is only a couple of litres of fuel in the tank.

RatHead

Reaction score
Visit site
I will answer the question myself. No you dont have to empty it first. Undo all bolts and all pipes then lift the tank off. Then remove the fuel pump over a bucket and catch the fuel when you do that. Very straightforward.