FZ6 trackbike

DaveK

Reaction score
Visit site
All you guys that use your FZ6 on track, how do they compare to 600cc Sportsbikes? Can you generally keep up with them or do you lag behind. I realise an R6/zx6r/gsxr etc will be quicker in the straight line but how much quicker are they in the corners? Negligible? Noticeable?

Im considering using mine for the odd trackday but cant decide if it i would be better buying a cheap 600/750 sportbike or just buying suspension and minor mods for the fz6. Financially it would be better to use the FZ6 (unless i bin it) but dont want to show up on the FZ6 if im gonna be holding people up on track.

Main reason i ask is pretty much every track bike here in the uk is a head down arse up sportsbike lol

Cheers chaps, Dave

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
At similar skill level you will lag for sure, both on the straight and in turns, but the differences in skills between riders on a regular track day are so wide (especially in beginner and intermediate groups) that I would not worry about it at all... You'll be holding ppl up whether on an FZ6 or an R1... and similarly, other ppl will hold you up on their R1... You don't go to the track to race or be the fastest, you just go to have fun and work on your skills, so holding ppl up should be your last worry... I've seen ppl on 250cc 2 strokes, or BMW cafe racers from the 70's, etc ride in the same group as me and it was perfectly fine... you just go around them when you can (and if you can!!).

So basically, do what makes most financial sense to you...

My recommendation: try a trackday or 2 on your FZ and if you like it and want to do them on a regular basis, invest in a trackbike because you will eventually bin it... trust me :)

Good luck.

Last edited:

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
At similar skill level you will lag for sure, both on the straight and in turns, but the differences in skills between riders on a regular track day are so wide (especially in beginner and intermediate groups) that I would not worry about it at all... You'll be holding ppl up whether on an FZ6 or an R1... and similarly, other ppl will hold you up on their R1... You don't go to the track to race or be the fastest, you just go to have fun and work on your skills, so holding ppl up should be your last worry... I've seen ppl on 250cc 2 strokes, or BMW cafe racers from the 70's, etc ride in the same group as me and it was perfectly fine... you just go around them when you can (and if you can!!).

So basically, do what makes most financial sense to you...

My recommendation: try a trackday or 2 on your FZ and if you like it and want to do them on a regular basis, invest in a trackbike because you will eventually bin it... trust me :)

Good luck.
Awesome advice! I'll ditto everything especially the part about giving it a go and see how you like it before making an investment. As stated, for novice and intermediates, the FZ6 will hold it's own for about 90% of the riders. And once you become addicted, you'll be looking for a dedicated sportbike trackbike. And, at least in the US, there are lots of those available at pretty decent prices.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Good luck.

Yep! normally when you least expect it! Dedicated track bikes rock....main reason, you can crash it at the track, and go home and ride your street bike the next day, rather than wait vto fix your pride and joy.

:thumbup:

DaveK

Reaction score
Visit site
Good advice there guys. I know I'll like it so i think i will just wait a tad longer and get a dedicated track bike, or possibly a cheap sports bike i can use on track and daytime road.

Thanks guys

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wolfman and Wavex are on it, as usual.

The Fizzer will serve you well on the track and you'll keep up and pass larger, "faster" bike. Riding is 93.256% rider ability.

Over the years I've seen so many riders on the latest and trickest bike wad them up.

During my last track day dudes on the new Duc streetfigher and a Brutale crashed! Ouch!

If you find yourself addicted to track days you can find a solid track bike, prepped and ready to go for about $3,000. Check the forums of the various racing organizations, AFM, WERA, MRA, CMRA, etc, etc.

Oops, I see you are in Scotland, you'll find a bike.

yoshiki

Reaction score
Visit site
anybody attempted to fit race fairings on their fz6? i have the intention to take out the stock headlight fairing and custom fit r6/cbr600/etc race fairings. 2 reasons for me doing so:
1) in case i take a fall, it would be the race fairing instead of the stock head fairing.
2) i prefer full fairing bikes. instead of buying the lower fairing meant for fz6, y not just get a full race fairing.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
anybody attempted to fit race fairings on their fz6? i have the intention to take out the stock headlight fairing and custom fit r6/cbr600/etc race fairings. 2 reasons for me doing so:
1) in case i take a fall, it would be the race fairing instead of the stock head fairing.
2) i prefer full fairing bikes. instead of buying the lower fairing meant for fz6, y not just get a full race fairing.

There is an Australian company that makes rae plastic for the fizzer. They were the supplier for the now defunked FZ6 Cup Series.

Wolfman - Little help here?

I don't have the link here at work but you'll be able to Google it.

Discofrank

Reaction score
Visit site
i love my fz6 on the track

soo much fun
but mine being a naked = less to **** up :p

i was just and i mean JUST keeping up with a gilr of simalar skill level and she was on a gix 750!

do a few on your bike 1st
at the basic stage and go from there

if i had the cash iw ould be gettign an EX fz6 cup bike for the track and doing 10+ a year

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Here is someone doing pretty good at the track on an FZ :D (just because I felt like looking at these pics again):

Look for the greenish bug looking thing:

3571914325_d6c28b8ec3_b.jpg

3571920063_4ec0e91b0c_b.jpg

They're all trying to catch him!!!

3571916445_5edde72893_b.jpg

3571919331_de39a365b8_b.jpg

yoshiki

Reaction score
Visit site
There is an Australian company that makes rae plastic for the fizzer. They were the supplier for the now defunked FZ6 Cup Series.

managed to find more information by following your lead..
FZ6 Cup Race or Track Day Plastics - Sportbikes.net

160943d1210811350-fz6-cup-race-track-day-plastics-fz6-trackbike-.jpg

YMFFZ6LHS.jpg

Motoaus.com - Go Racing on a Shoestring! | Race News and Features | Race

this is another but they didnt show any photos or more information.

Yamaha

Trouble

Reaction score
Visit site
I enjoyed a couple of track days on the FZ6 but the suspension was extremely limiting. I put in heavier weight fork oil as an attempt to help, and it did a little, but not enough to keep the front end from diving pitifully when under hard braking. I could have spent a couple of grand on the FZ to get it up to par but it would have been building up a bike that simply isn't made for the track. Track specific bikes are quite reasonably priced, and if you shop around you can get one that has already been pretty well set up.

yoshiki

Reaction score
Visit site
the problem is, i can only own 1 bike. and this bike is my daily transport as well so a box is considered a must-have.

monyong

Reaction score
Visit site
Wolfman and Wavex are on it, as usual.

The Fizzer will serve you well on the track and you'll keep up and pass larger, "faster" bike. Riding is 93.256% rider ability.

Over the years I've seen so many riders on the latest and trickest bike wad them up.

During my last track day dudes on the new Duc streetfigher and a Brutale crashed! Ouch!

If you find yourself addicted to track days you can find a solid track bike, prepped and ready to go for about $3,000. Check the forums of the various racing organizations, AFM, WERA, MRA, CMRA, etc, etc.

Oops, I see you are in Scotland, you'll find a bike.

well i think tire play 20-30% parts of it,i mean riding....
:rockon:

monyong

Reaction score
Visit site

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Racers Edge....they still do the FZ6 cup single seat unit, and seat pad, Front Bikini Race Fairing, and screen.

Home

Wyotech kid

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with the rest of the guys, do a track day on your beloved FZ and see if you want to invest in getting a track only bike.

Granted I had alot mods in mind for my FZ for track days, but it kinda would have been pointless because its not a race its my daily driver and it works just fine street duty. :thumbup:

I wouldnt mind getting an r6 or daytona 675 as a track only bike. Lots of parts for both. :rockon:

However til i can afford another bike I'll stick with my FZ but I do like those race plastics. But it would probably be to much work to change over plastics every weekend. :rolleyes:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with the rest of the guys, do a track day on your beloved FZ and see if you want to invest in getting a track only bike.

Granted I had alot mods in mind for my FZ for track days, but it kinda would have been pointless because its not a race its my daily driver and it works just fine street duty. :thumbup:

I wouldnt mind getting an r6 or daytona 675 as a track only bike. Lots of parts for both. :rockon:

However til i can afford another bike I'll stick with my FZ but I do like those race plastics. But it would probably be to much work to change over plastics every weekend. :rolleyes:

Once you have done it a few times, it only takes about an hour to change the bike from Street to Track with the Race Glass...

A hell of a lot ceasier than replacing all your nice road gear, if you bin it...

I know that next time i take my bike to the track, i will be putting all the track stuff on, including clip-ons, a older set of sorta half trashed rear-sets, and hoping i dont drop it..

Wyotech kid

Reaction score
Visit site
I see that valtermoto has rear sets and clip ons for 07 FZ6's. any opinions on their quality and prices? I wouldnt mind getting some of their rear sets and trying out those clips on.

If memory serves me correctly FZ's have 43mm fork tubes right? But wouldnt the clips on not turn as far since they seem to be hitting the outside of the tank, granted we're not turning like we do on the street but still.

And does racers edge sell the plastics piece by piece or a full set? I wouldnt mind getting a price check on them too.