long term storage

ed c

Reaction score
Visit site
I've read several posts and 'how to' articles regarding winterizing motorcycles. I will be away from home for a year or so and was wondering what would be better, completely prepping my FZ6 for long term storage or just getting it serviced then left out so my wife can periodically start it up and let the engine run for a while. She does not ride (yet.....) so regardless it is going to sit still for at least 5-7 months before I come home for a week or two and can get it out on the road.

Any input or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

cheers,

ed

S

sportrider

I never let mine sit that long, but there are others on the forum that will have the answer for you!!!

Welcome Aboard!!!:D

H

HavBlue

I've read several posts and 'how to' articles regarding winterizing motorcycles. I will be away from home for a year or so and was wondering what would be better, completely prepping my FZ6 for long term storage or just getting it serviced then left out so my wife can periodically start it up and let the engine run for a while. She does not ride (yet.....) so regardless it is going to sit still for at least 5-7 months before I come home for a week or two and can get it out on the road.

Any input or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

cheers,

ed

If the wife is going to start it every couple of weeks and get it up to operating temperature things should be ok if the bike has a full synthetic oil in it and the tank is full. I would however make sure the tires, both, are off the ground avoiding flat spotting. Folks that go into deep storage will often drain the oil, spray the cylinders down with a fogging oil and buy special plugs, not spark plugs, to keep the moisture out of the cylinders. They will also pull the fuel pump fuse and run the bike out of gas and then yank the battery to put on a tender. I like the start it up idea myself but she will have to go 20 minutes or so with some rpm to really get it done. Be sure you teach her...

ed c

Reaction score
Visit site
I just re-read 'biker dude 43''s winterizing thread and that answered some of my questions. At the risk of re-hashing all the great points brought up there, I guess my main question is should I approach storing for the better part of a year differently than just over a long winter?
Also, I ive in the CA high desert and my bike would remain in a covered garage.

Just saw HavBlue's remarks. thanks. Yes, there will be some serious instruction provided before handing over the key.....

ed

W

wrightme43

Me personally I would treat it as a "mothballing" for lack of a better word.
Drain tank, spray with fogging oil to prevent rust in the fuel tank, remove plugs spray with fogging oil replace, Drain oil, change and replace oil and filter. Remove battery and put on a Smart tender, or just plan on replacement. Depending on the age of your coolant replace it as well. Say over two years its time, 18 months I would still swap it out. Make sure it is absolutely clean, and waxed well, armour all all plastics, and make sure you keep it out of sunlight thru a window.
Wash/wax before anything else. Then the rest of the work where it wont have to be started at all. If she is going to start it it has to be outside CO poisoning and all.

I would not start the bike at all. If you dont add byproducts of combustion to the oil, it cant make any acid.

This is just how I would handle it, with out pulling out a piece of paper, writing down everything, making a check list, and then doing it. Other people do things differently and have thier own reasons, not wrong, just different.

When you get back refill tank, check battery, drain and replace the oil, leave the filter, change brake fluid, do a stupid crazy inspection on your tires,

H

HavBlue

I just re-read 'biker dude 43''s winterizing thread and that answered some of my questions. At the risk of re-hashing all the great points brought up there, I guess my main question is should I approach storing for the better part of a year differently than just over a long winter?
Also, I ive in the CA high desert and my bike would remain in a covered garage.

Just saw HavBlue's remarks. thanks. Yes, there will be some serious instruction provided before handing over the key.....

ed

Used to live in the low desert very near Palm Springs. Things are very different where you live in terms of other places and winter. For one, it is very dry and the humidity isn't a factor hence the lack of rust on things. It does get cold but generally not long term. Storing the bike for long periods with just a run-up from time to time shouldn't be a problem. I would however get the tires up and coat them the a dressing to prevent any form of dry rot and flat spotting. When we first came to Kentucky (early January) I trailered the FZ6 out and stored in the kids garage for 4 months through the winter; it was started every other weak. When we actually moved (late April) and I got back to the bike things were fine and it had no problems. The person doing the run-up has to be taught what to do.