Eyewitness Bike wreck.

W

wrightme43

OK WEAR YOUR FREAKING GEAR!!!! Thats the lesson I got from seeing this about 15 minutes ago.

I am walking down the road to the end of the street to meet Trinity at the bus. So I hear, Paabb Pabbb Pabbbb!!!!!! I think wow thats fast for this road. Then I hear CHINK CHINK Thump Thump. And I see this man, flying thru the air. Followed by a brand new yellow sportster. He actually flies all the way across my road and lands on his left face and left shoulder on the grass. He flips onto his other side and then rolls onto his back. The bike missed him luckly. I run towards him dialing 911 and the neighbor girl runs towards him. He is bleeding slightly from his ear and the side of his face. His collar bone is obviously broken, his wrist is broken and he is not coherent. He said his pelvis feels broken. He is able to tell us where he lives, and keeps asking for his wife. I am talking to state police and emergency medical. The first responders are here in less than 5 minutes, the ambulance in less than 10. He says he is having trouble breathing, but i think that is from broken ribs. No gear unless you count fingerless gloves.

He never touched pavement with his body, just skipped it completely. Very lucky.

I pushed his bike up the road and gave his keys to his wife when she showed up. 998 miles on the bike.

Accident reconstruction (MY OPINION) based on the corner, the tire track in the grass and the wreck.

He came what he thought was too fast for the corner, did not counter steer, did not brake, just went straight, locked the rear in the grass, hit the neighbors driveway, launched bike and rider, shot over a bunch of grass, a road, and landed in another neighbors grass.

Lessons.

Wear your freaking helmet! Practice countersteering, practice braking. Had this man had a helmet, and armored gear on, he would likely of broken his collar bone as well. I doubt he would of been as mentally incoherent, his hands would be fine, his legs would ok. His pelvis might of still been hurt, but maybe not.

Anyway he will be ok. It just could of been a lot worse had he hit the road instead, and it could of been a lot better had he worn gear. A full face helmet would of made this a lot less traumatic.

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
luck was on his side, no matter were i go, my full face helmet and shift full cavlar jacket, cortec gloves and boots are on. It just takes a second for something to happen, glad he had you there to help and he was ok.

W

wrightme43

I know I am sick, and I know this is wrong. I really wish I had a video camera running. God this is wrong, but the flying thru the air with the bike right behind him part was kinda funny. I am not laughing at the injuries or the damage to his bike, just the flying part. Holy crap, I have never seen a whole Harley flying thru the air. I picked the damn thing up, its heavy.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow that must have been a scary scene and a good reminder to wear proper gear. Mistakes can and do happen, i just hope he learns from it and gets back in the saddle as it would be a shame to give it up after only 1K miles

trailblazer87

Curve Hound
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like he got the worse of the incident. I hope it didn't freak your niece out too much. That can be kinda traumatic on the little ones. A friend of mine's daughter got a little creeped out by the bloody ice at a hockey game.

Glad you were able to help, and good thing the paramedics showed up in a hurry.

W

wrightme43

Trinity just wanted to know why he wrecked. The paramedics were there when she got there, so we just walked his bike up the road so it wouldnt get towed. She just wanted to know why he wrecked, and that was it.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Trinity just wanted to know why he wrecked. The paramedics were there when she got there, so we just walked his bike up the road so it wouldnt get towed. She just wanted to know why he wrecked, and that was it.
Let that be a lesson to you. Always bring the video....
Thank god you were there mate as Defy has already said. Bleeding from the ear is not good. It may indicate a fractured skull, as you stated no helmet and incoherent. I hope he is ok.

W

wrightme43

He will be alright.
Another bike wreck here in town today.
My friend Mac, his wife Bonnie was Tboned by a motorcycle. It ruint her car, shot the rider over the car, he landed on the road, wearing helmet, compound fractured his arm and lots of blood, but he is going to be ok too.

Today was a awesome day to ride, but the first thing I did wa go to the park down the road and practice some figure eights, some brakes, and some slaloms. I saw a bunch out today.

mikebike

just a rider
Reaction score
www.crazyguyonabike.com
Lucky for him that you was there to call 911, and reasure him.
I can't believe that wearing a helmet is an option :(

helmet laws a a matter of State legislation not Federal.

Many of us do not want every last thing as a matter of law ---

that said Most of us in this forum always wear a helmet:thumbup:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
helmet laws a a matter of State legislation not Federal.

Many of us do not want every last thing as a matter of law ---

that said Most of us in this forum always wear a helmet:thumbup:

It's true what you say Mike, living in the most liberal country in Europe I'm in no position to comment. The Dutch say the same about the sex industry and (soft) drugs, even though I disagree with both.

Good to hear that most people do wear helmets. :thumbup:

H

HavBlue

Good to hear that most people do wear helmets. :thumbup:

I wish this were true but then again it's not my head. Folks here in Kentucky have a choice and it has been my experience they will more often than not leave the helmet behind. Again, their choice. Kentucky did at one time have a mandatory helmet law but the law was repealed through legislation a few years back. Florida is another state that has repealed the helmet law. Funny thing is all 50 states have a seat belt law for the cages but many have no law or a limited use law when it comes to helmets. I must admit I am not one to wear full gear but that helmet is on all the time. I would feel very naked without it.

This time of year the roads of Kentucky can be very slick even when they appear to be dry. Another issue is the temperature which is often cold hence a lack of heat in tires. The combination of the two is not good for the newbie rider and even those folks that limit their riding to one day on a weekend for a few miles a month. The oils from the fallen tree leaves can make things very interesting so experience can make a big difference. I was out Saturday 12/08 and things were still plenty wet although it didn't really start coming down until I was on the way home. Didn't see another bike for the 60 miles I was out but it was fun. Ya just have to be careful and know what limitations exist. I'm glad to hear the guy and bike made it.....

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
NH does not have a helmet law, they have an eye protection law so as long as you are wearing some sort of glasses you are covered. The way the law is written the windscreen on the bike can count as eye protection as well so no glasses required to beat a ticket. That being said Massachusetts has a strict helmet law and you see tons of bikers pull into the first rest stop in NH to take their helmets off...

I have a minimum of helmet and motorcycle specific jacket on at all times when riding and riding gloves 95% of the time no mayyer what state

H

HavBlue

The helmet law debate is an interesting one for sure. Correct me if I'm wrong, about half the states require it and half don't?

At present there are 4 states with no helmet requirement at all. There are 20 states where a helmet is mandatory. There are 24 states where there is a partial use law that is limited by age and the temporary license or permit. There are 2 states where the partial use of a helmet is determined by age and medical insurance. So basically there are more states offering some form of limited use or no use at all than there are states that make the use of a helmet mandatory.

I will however say the new director of the NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) rides a Harley and she is trying to push through a National helmet law. That fight will be very interesting indeed.