Change the spark plug

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have been searching and found now direction on how to disconnect anything to change them along with how to do it. Can anyone help with this problem, and if so any pic's to go along with it????

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi mate,
I beleive that you need to remove tank, and air box to get to plugs. I have also searched the manual and it has no mention. Have you checked the technical section on this site? There are PDF service manuals in there. Its on page 4 or 5 I think.

Failing that Sportsrider and wrightme do there own servicing and they could help you.

Neil

Maverick

Reaction score
Visit site
Download the service manual from here:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/320-2004-through-2007-manuals-download-here.html

For the 2007 - Take a look at page 3-9 and 3-10

CHECKING THE SPARK PLUGS
The following procedure applies to all of the
spark plugs.
1. Remove:
• Radiator lower bolt “1”
• Radiator lower hose bracket bolt “2”
Refer to "RADIATOR" on page 6-1.
2. Disconnect:
• Spark plug caps
3. Remove:
• Spark plugs
A. Right side #1, #2 and #3
B. Left side #4

Note: Before removing the spark plugs, blow
away any dirt accumulated in the spark
plug wells with compressed air to prevent it
from falling into the cylinders.

4. Check:
• Spark plug type
Incorrect → Change.
5. Check:
• Electrode “1”
Damage/wear → Replace the spark plug.
• Insulator “2”
Abnormal color → Replace the spark plug.
Normal color is medium-to-light tan.
6. Clean:
• Spark plug
(with a spark plug cleaner or wire brush)
7. Measure:
• Spark plug gap “a”
(with a wire thickness gauge)
Out of specification → Regap.
8. Install:
• Spark plugs
NOTE:
Before installing the spark plug, clean the
spark plug and gasket surface.
9. Connect:
• Spark plug caps
10. Install:
• Radiator lower hose bracket bolt
• Radiator lower bolt
Refer to "RADIATOR" on page 6-1.

Last edited:
S

sportrider

Sorry opds9091, I would have piped in earlier but I had no idea what you were talking about. I was thinking "spare" plug??? not "spark" plug:thumbup:

Maverick

Reaction score
Visit site
The exact page number in the service manual must vary a little by model year...

Hey, I was just noticing that Yamaha recommends a plug change in 8000 mi (13000 KM) or one year. That seems a lot sooner that I would have expected - I wonder why so soon? Must be due to the catalytic converters...I guess.

H

HavBlue

I always ride with a spare...just kidding.

After 14,000+ miles or touring, twisties, and track days I still have the original plugs in there...the work just fine. *shrug*

I too have a bit over 14,000 with the OEM plugs and the bike is running flawlessly.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Why not change it? It's not an expensive part and at 14k it completed it's mission IMO :thumbup:

Why fix something that's not broken? If I replaced everything when it was statistically supposed to fail, I'd spend more money and time working than I currently do.

If anyone can tell me how a failed plug [that should have been changed out] could potentially harm my bike then I'll change them ASAP (I'm not a mechanic). Barring that, I'll probably change them next time I have the bike in pieces....
________
Washington Dispensaries

Last edited:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Why fix something that's not broken? If I replaced everything when it was statistically supposed to fail, I'd spend more money and time working than I currently do.

If anyone can tell me how a failed plug [that should have been changed out] could potentially harm my bike then I'll change them ASAP (I'm not a mechanic). Barring that, I'll probably change them next time I have the bike in pieces....

i would say it is no huge rush but a spark plug that is clean has a certain spark power and as corrosion and debris form the spark becomes weaker. With the weaker spark some fuel may not ignite causing lower power and also raw fuel to go into the exhaust and ejected into the environment. The drop in power is gradual and not a huge number but i know whenever i change my plugs i feel a little more kick in the seat when i twist the throttle.

Rich

Reaction score
Visit site
I just changed mine at 9k and they looked like new. But I would do it again in another 8 or 9k. Cheap maintenance, and not a real tough job if you follow the instructions from the PDF service manual.

Find yourself a piece of wood just the right length to keep the radiator pushed out as far as you can get it when you get to that step, it makes the job much easier.

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
like rich said, if spark plugs are important, i would think that we should check them atleast every 6 months. I try to change the oil every month, as far as the plugs i will start doing them or looking at them every 6 months. Another question is how often do you do the brakes?