Bar-mounted mirror problem...

clockworkjon

SUCKERS!
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a set of bar mounted mirrors. There's two brackets for the handlebar, then the mirrors just screw in. My problem is, there's no room on the handle bar! The left side isn't terrible, but on the right side the brake fluid reservoir takes up the entire flat section of the bar between the throttle and triple. I can't even fit the mount there.

One idea I thought of is just to get a new bar (LSL Spiegler Street Bar) and hopefully it will be a larger flat section that would give me more room. But with bar ends that's about $100.

The other idea that I will consider as an absolute last resort is bar end mirrors. No offense, I just don't like them. But I know I need mirrors and if its the only way to go, then I'll have to.

Anything else I haven't thought of in the middle there somewhere?

Thanks! :thumbup:

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
That's weird... must be due to the '07+ top clamp on the triple... are you sure you can't move the master cylinder away from the throttle (towards the top clamp) and open enough room between the master and grip for your mirror clamp to fit? I had to do that to fit the Rizoma mirrors too...

The LSL bar will give you more room for sure...

Take a pic of your setup if you can...

clockworkjon

SUCKERS!
Reaction score
Visit site
... are you sure you can't move the master cylinder away from the throttle (towards the top clamp) and open enough room between the master and grip for your mirror clamp to fit?

Thought of that, but unless I didn't look hard enough, I believe it moves my brake lever in as well. I think they're attached.

I'll take a quick pic when I go home for lunch. Thanks!

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
lol yes indeed it will move your brake lever inwards a little bit, but you won't have a choice about that anyway!

I had the shorty pazzo levers and did it without a problem... you'll be fine.

clockworkjon

SUCKERS!
Reaction score
Visit site
lol yes indeed it will move your brake lever inwards a little bit, but you won't have a choice about that anyway!

I had the shorty pazzo levers and did it without a problem... you'll be fine.

Yep, I just took a look before and I can move the cylinder/lever without much problem. And you answered my second question before I could ask. I figured shorties would be a no go anymore. Can't afford them anyway, but good to know they're still an option.

I'm almost done with the work on the bike. Pics/thread within a day or two.

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
I can assure you there is plenty of room, you just have to turn the lever down a bit, ~15 degrees below horizontal. The other option, the one I like better is to just drill out the existing mirror mount on the reservoir. Use a 10mm bit/tap set, don't use a 3/4inch bit or else you risk cracking the mount.

clockworkjon

SUCKERS!
Reaction score
Visit site
Slid the reservoir and lever over less than an inch and jammed the mirror mount in between it and the throttle. Worked great, no difference in brake lever reach. Thanks guys! :thumbup:

clockworkjon

SUCKERS!
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice work. Love to see some pics. What mirrors did you go with?

Just a cheap pair of universal Yamaha mirrors from Fly N Cycle. I had planned on getting a pair of Rizomas from motovation, but I misread the price thinking it was $83 for the pair. It was $83 each, plus about $20 for mounting hardware. Total from FlyNCycle = $40. I win! :rockon:

maverick1970

Reaction score
Visit site
That's cool. I've just ordered some new mirrors myself. I'm going the bar end style.

Napoleon Bar End Mirror, Baren Mirror, in stock at Motostrano.com

motostrano_2066_24703492