Yamaha FZ6

V

vakk316

Hello everyone.I was wondering if I can get some feedback on my question.My question is.I am 37years old and 250lbs.I just got my motorcycle licence 2 weeks ago.I am looking into purchasing a FZ6 to commute to work about 10 miles each way.I was wondering if I am to heavy for the bike.I have not ridden one yet but I love the way they look.Any information is appreciated.

OrangevaleFJR

R.I.P. Our FJR Riding Friend
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everyone.I was wondering if I can get some feedback on my question.My question is.I am 37years old and 250lbs.I just got my motorcycle licence 2 weeks ago.I am looking into purchasing a FZ6 to commute to work about 10 miles each way.I was wondering if I am to heavy for the bike.I have not ridden one yet but I love the way they look.Any information is appreciated.

You are not too heavy for the bike. You can adjust the preload of the shock so that it is better for your weight. Just crank it up. Most factory suspensions are targetted at the 170 lb. range.

The engine is more than enough to move you around just fine. My wife have ridden the bike 2up for a combined weight of over 300 pounds and the suspension and engine were good to go.

W

wrightme43

Welcome Welcome. Glad you are here.

I can absolutely assure you that you are not to heavy for this bike. I know several people who weigh as much as or more than you that ride 250cc ninja sport bikes.

I only weigh 150lbs, and this bike is a rocket ship under me. 100 more pounds isnt going to change much.
459 lbs plus 150 = 609 lbs/98 hp 6.2lbs per hp
459 lbs plus 250 = 709 lbs/98 hp 7.2lbs per hp

A very very fast car will have 10lbs per hp.

On my ninja I had 16 lbs per hp and it was still faster than most cars.

Now on to the important subjects.
Do you have good riding gear? Do you know why its important?
Have you ever read Profcient Motorcycling I+II? If not I highly reccomend that you take a few hours and read them.
There are some things in there that will help you to be a much better rider, more in tune with what your bike wants from you, and how you can provide it in a safer, and controlled manner.
Please keep coming back.
Steve

V

vakk316

Thanks

Thanks wrightme43 and OrangevaleFJR for the responses.I appreciate the info,now I am on my way to look at and test ride a blue FZ6.Thanks again,I am sure I will have more questions soon.

W

wrightme43

I hear that blue is faster. LOL
You will love the bike. I know I do.

V

vakk316

LOL.I see alot of blue but that is about it.A few red ones sometimes.I think blue sets the bike off.I dont care for the red to much.

fazter6

Reaction score
Visit site
Heavy rider

Sorry, Silver is FaZter. ha ha. Hey, make sure you keep your tire pressure at the recommended level and that you keep within maximum weight if you are carrying other people or luggage. I'm the opposite, weighing only 125. The bike handled better and I was more comfortable after adjusting the rear shock down and using the minimum recommended tire pressure. I ride Dunlop Qualifiers. Please consult your mechanic about any adjustments outside the recommended.

V

vakk316

Silver fz6

Went to 3 Yamaha dealers today to get a feel for the the FZ6.Alot of blue ones,a few red ones but no silver ones.I gotta say the bike rides nice,handles nice,looks nice,I think I will be purchasing an FZ6 in about 2 weeks.WOOOOHOOOO,CANT WAIT TO GET SOME MILES ON IT.

fazter6

Reaction score
Visit site
You're going to LOVE IT

I bought my FZ after riding my friends home from the dealer. She had only ridden cruisers and was nervous about the seat height (has since gotten a Corbin). After riding it home I was HOOKED. Now my husband has one too. I've ridden everything from a 125cc dirt bike to a 750cc heavy cruiser and this one is my FAVORITE.

W

wrightme43

You have to go used to get silver. This year its only Blue or Red metallic. I have put 6 coats of liquid glass on mine so far. LOL it looks deep. I used to always use Meguiers Gold Class, but this stuff is amazing.

OrangevaleFJR

R.I.P. Our FJR Riding Friend
Reaction score
Visit site
Meguiers Tech Wax is the shizzle.

We already had a blue bike (my FJR), and Sherri liked the red. Red is much faster, and I ride with 3 coats of wax instead of 6 to reduce weight and improve performance :p

W

wrightme43

Yeah thats it.
Fast light is blue doppler, and slow light is red doppler.
The extra wax smooths the aero package, and allows for all wind resistance to be eliminated. LOL
Uhhhhhh......... yeah thats enough BS for one post.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought my FZ after riding my friends home from the dealer. She had only ridden cruisers and was nervous about the seat height (has since gotten a Corbin). After riding it home I was HOOKED. Now my husband has one too. I've ridden everything from a 125cc dirt bike to a 750cc heavy cruiser and this one is my FAVORITE.

What's her height/inseam? My wife is short/petite. She tried my bike but can barely touch with her toes. How much lower is the Corbin seat?

Thanx!

Last edited:

fazter6

Reaction score
Visit site
Corbin seat

I am 5'2" and my Corbin gave me an extra 1-1/2". I used the original seat pan rather than the Corbin pan and that helped by making the seat narrower in the front. I also put the shock on the lowest setting which allows a little more sag; I weigh 125. I also added bar risers which brought the bars back and up an inch which makes the reach much more comfortable. I've lowered bikes in the past using an adjustable dog bone, but it does change the dynamics of the bike.....so I chose not to do that to the FZ because I really like the way it handles.

fazter6

Reaction score
Visit site
Corbin seat

I just noticed that you live in NH, which is a long way from the Corbin factory. I went to the factory and got a custom Corbin. I would recommend finding someone in your area to do a custom seat. Corbin was very hesitant about putting so little foam in my seat but I wanted it as low as I could get it. I am very happy, but a Corbin seat through the mail will NOT work for her. I have "carved" all my previous bike seats using an electric knife and been very happy, but it takes a certain "art" to get it right. I made a few mistakes along the way, so if you decide to do that find a junk seat to practice on.