Fz6 Gauge Harness

AdamDJ

Reaction score
Visit site
Im buying an fz6 this week that doesnt have the cluster on it.. I need to know where is the harness connector is located so when I check out the bike I can make sure it has the harness and plug intact for adding a cluster in the future.. Thanks for helping the newb!!!

victorb

Reaction score
Visit site
2 connectors coming out from the left side (clutch side) of the frame. I'll try to dig a picture out for you.

Edit: Picture:
14571d1238251121-fz6n-conversion-img_1841.jpg

Last edited:

AdamDJ

Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome thanks, I bought the bike without a gauge and I was worried the harness would be hacked to bits or missing.. Fortunatly it is all intact and I have a new cluster on its way.. Where did you get that CF fairing?

AdamDJ

Reaction score
Visit site
I got my speed in today.. There are 2 connectors on it.. One white one black.. The black one fits into the connector that is on that harness but the other connector isnt the right size and I think its meant for the headlights and turn signals etc... Where is the other harness located the hooks to the empty white connector on the speedo...

Thanks!
Adam

03zq8

Reaction score
Visit site
If it's an 04-06 speedo, there is a short harness between the one that comes out of the frame and the gauges.

Do you only have the short harness coming out of the gauge? If so, you'll need the intermediate harness as well.

victorb

Reaction score
Visit site
Which year is your bike? Which year is your speedo for?
Post some pictures of your connectors if you can.

AdamDJ

Reaction score
Visit site
here are some pics of what im dealing with.. I have a bad feeling the harness I need was hacked off...
Here is the only plug I have that will plug into the new gauge
biketogauge.jpg

Here is the whole harness with only 2 plugs
bothharness.jpg

Here is the other plug with everything but the headlight wires hacked off.. Are those wires for the turn signals or for the gauge?
headlightharness.jpg

and here is the 2 plugs on the back of the gauge.. Only one will fit, the other has no place to go..

gaugeharness.jpg

Thanks!

AdamDJ

Reaction score
Visit site
If it's an 04-06 speedo, there is a short harness between the one that comes out of the frame and the gauges.

Do you only have the short harness coming out of the gauge? If so, you'll need the intermediate harness as well.

If you take a look at my pics, does that short harness hook into the large plug that also has the headlight wires.. is that what got hacked off??

Thanks!

victorb

Reaction score
Visit site
Yup. You're missing a harness here.. Bring out the soldering iron and go by wire colors for the gauge cluster. The remainings will be for headlight and turn signals.
The wiring diagrams are in the service manual.

AdamDJ

Reaction score
Visit site
Fantastic!! Looking at the plugs it seems that some colors go to one connector and some go to another connector.. does this mean I have to rewire both of them?
Example.. The harness on the bike has 1 connector with 4 wires.. some wire colors match the wires on one connector of the guage, the other colors match wires on the other connecter.. So Do i need to rewire both connectors??

Thanks!

victorb

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll let someone who has an 04-06 chime in, but I wouldn't be surprised. The wiring harness is quite a mess. You would think one connector for the gauge, one for the lights, but Yamaha certainly didn't think so.. So I wouldn't be surprised if some wires were routed to the other connector inside the harness..

Unfortunately, plug and play is $80 away: Ronayers.com Fiche Desktop Motorcycle Yamaha 2006 FZS6V FZ6 HEADLIGHT (#8)
Check eBay if you have some time to waste, or become best bud with the wiring diagrams.

AdamDJ

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok hows this look? The service manual has a W/R wire on the guage connector but there isnt one on the actuall cluster which makes sense why I cant find a W/R wire anywhere..
schematic.jpg

Thanks!

AdamDJ

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice find on the harness! I emailed the guy I bought the gauge from to see if he still haves that laying around before i start hacking up my own harness...

03zq8

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got the harness you need. I converted my 04 to an 07+ gauge cluster.

Cover shipping costs, and I'll give it to you.

PM me if you want.

AdamDJ

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got the harness you need. I converted my 04 to an 07+ gauge cluster.

Cover shipping costs, and I'll give it to you.

PM me if you want.

Pm sent.. thanks alot buddy!!
I emailed the seller of the gauge and he tried to F me by asking for 80 bucks for a harness he should have included in the first place..
Thanks again!

AdamDJ

Reaction score
Visit site
This forum is awesome..

It really is! Just 9 hours ago I was freaking out because I had no clue how to install this new cluster.. Now I know everything about it and people are willing to help with with parts.. Very awesome..

Thanks a lot guys!!

03zq8

Reaction score
Visit site
No problem... it's just laying around in my garage. Might as well give it to someone who can use it.