Drag Strip/Track Day

fz6nick

I Love Lamp
Reaction score
Visit site
Friday night I will for sure be attending midnight madness at Gateway Raceway. Its 25 bucks for as many runs as you can get your turn in from 9pm to 2am. I will be camping out at the track and going to my track day Sat.

ELIZABETH will be doing the test the track with me Sat. This will be a good opportunity to learn more about her bike and her limits.

Track instructional vid: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8XNEZNHKR0]YouTube - MCRA Track Day Instruction[/ame]

Track day footage:[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xygL3QY-uBY]YouTube - GATEWAY / MCRA Track Day (GIR) 10/12/08[/ame]

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for posting the videos, Nick!! I hope you do well on your races Saturday. I am looking forward to playing around out there, but am glad I am not racing!! Looks a bit scary to me!! :eek:

jazond

KneeDragger in training
Reaction score
Visit site
Were you guys next to the RPM guys in the paddocks? I was with them part of the day yesterday (buddy of mine races with them) and saw a black and a red FZ6 to my right.

Unfortunatly I wasnt on mine... doc decided that it was a good thing to cut me open last tuesday and do some work. That means I am off the saddle for 2 weeks. But I will be out there in Oct - probably with the RPM guys again.

Did yall have fun? :rockon:

~Jason

fz6nick

I Love Lamp
Reaction score
Visit site
Were you guys next to the RPM guys in the paddocks? I was with them part of the day yesterday (buddy of mine races with them) and saw a black and a red FZ6 to my right.

Unfortunatly I wasnt on mine... doc decided that it was a good thing to cut me open last tuesday and do some work. That means I am off the saddle for 2 weeks. But I will be out there in Oct - probably with the RPM guys again.

Did yall have fun? :rockon:

~Jason

Hey Jason. I was just to the right of them with the red and elizabeth was to the right of me with the black one. I talked with steve a few times on his speed triple. I will be there in october.

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe we can talk Stryken into doing a Test the Track in October. It's only $30 bucks!!! :thumbup:

Really bummed I couldn't make it with you guys this time. I did have a good time with the family at the Arch, I just couldn't help turn my head every time I heard the sound of a 4cyl buzz by though. I very much want to make it to the Oct. meet even if its only to watch. One question, do you have to do all the prep work on the bike just to ride the test track like you do on the main track?

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Really bummed I couldn't make it with you guys this time. I did have a good time with the family at the Arch, I just couldn't help turn my head every time I heard the sound of a 4cyl buzz by though. I very much want to make it to the Oct. meet even if its only to watch. One question, do you have to do all the prep work on the bike just to ride the test track like you do on the main track?

No prep work at all...just wear boots, leather (or heavy textile) jacket, long (gauntlet) gloves, and full face helmet. Jeans are even allowed, but I wore overpants too. I think you would LOVE doing the test the track!!
Jason, I hope you are healing up nicely.

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Here are a couple pics that Nick took for me. There were 25 or 30 riders out there, and I was by far the slowest!! :rof:
View attachment 20932

View attachment 20933

I am hoping to get some closer ones from the track photographer, once they post them up. I had a great time doing the Test the Track, and learned a LOT. I had not leaned the bike over much at all riding on the streets (in my 500 miles of "vast" riding experience). :) So doing the Test the Track allowed me to broaden my comfort zone. In fact, by the end of the second outing on the track, I was going through a hair pin turn and actually leaned over so much that I scraped my foot peg. It scared the you-know-what out of me!! :eek: But I didn't over react, and came out of the turn just fine. (My pants were still dry afterwards, too!) :D

Blazin FZ6

nOObie
Reaction score
Visit site
Have any of you ran your bike on a 1/4 mile drag strip? What did you run if you did? I recently ran it a few times for the first last time last weekend and I was curious what you guys tend to run. I do not have much experience on the strip, but I ran a 12.4, 12.7 and a 12.6 with decent reaction times. :confused: Currently, I have a stock 2007 fz6 with no performance mods. Is this normal? Any suggestion if i should be running faster?
Thanks for the info.

fz6nick

I Love Lamp
Reaction score
Visit site
Have any of you ran your bike on a 1/4 mile drag strip? What did you run if you did? I recently ran it a few times for the first last time last weekend and I was curious what you guys tend to run. I do not have much experience on the strip, but I ran a 12.4, 12.7 and a 12.6 with decent reaction times. :confused: Currently, I have a stock 2007 fz6 with no performance mods. Is this normal? Any suggestion if i should be running faster?
Thanks for the info.

check out my dragstrip/track day report thread. i posted r/a times with quarter mile and speed etc. best was 11.6