Tube in a Tubeless Tire

lukaledoux

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd like to bump this post up.

Does anyone have any experience with installing a tube into their tubeless tires? I just punctured my brand new PR3s and the guy at the shop said that legally, he could not patch them, but recommended plugging and inserting a tube for reassurance. Anyone done this before?

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd like to bump this post up.

Does anyone have any experience with installing a tube into their tubeless tires? I just punctured my brand new PR3s and the guy at the shop said that legally, he could not patch them, but recommended plugging and inserting a tube for reassurance. Anyone done this before?

Legally? I live in the third world and we don't have as many laws as other countries but from personal experience, both on my bike and the run flat tyres on my cars, the internal mushroom plug works perfectly. It does depend on the nature of the puncture and the location of course.

I wouldn't consider a tube, if the mushroom couldn't do it I would toss the tyre.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Legally? I live in the third world and we don't have as many laws as other countries but from personal experience, both on my bike and the run flat tyres on my cars, the internal mushroom plug works perfectly. It does depend on the nature of the puncture and the location of course.

I wouldn't consider a tube, if the mushroom couldn't do it I would toss the tyre.

+1.. it's getting harder to breathe here legally!

What's the puncture like? Can you take a picture for us? If it's just a nail, it should be easy to plug with Dynaplug or Stop-and-Go.

bdevries

Reaction score
Visit site
A plug works fine. Working in a tire shop for 4 years, I have never once had someone back and say the plug was leaking.. not once;)

samlynn37

Reaction score
Visit site
speaking from experience, depending on where the puncture is, it is sometimes "unsafe" to patch the tire. i work at a car dealership as a mechanic and we have conversations with customers everyday about the "legality" of fixing a tire(its more about liability than anything else, say if u patch a tire and it blows out at the patch and causes some injury to people...) what i am trying to say is if you know how to patch a tire and have the resources to do so, do it yourself. in most shops, if they have the smallest doubt that the patch might fail, they will say no to fixing your tire. no one wants to get sued...

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
as long as it is just a nail hole, etc and not in the sidewall. if it is a cut or in the sidewall or some sort of big or jagged hole then no.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
**DO NOT INSTALL -->> A Tube in Motorcycle Tubeless Tire!! **

The thread title from 2009 is unnerving!

The tire and rim must be designed to accommodate tubes! For GOD's sake, DO NOT PUT A TUBE IN THIS TIRE! Nothing good will come of it!

Also - a tire ran flat, a tire found to have balls inside from flex damage from running flat, ANY damage outside of the tread area - sidewall or bead should never be repaired.

As other have stated - safe repairs can be made, using the appropriate plugs and patches. If in doubt, replace the tire!

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:needpics:

IMG_3102.JPG

lukaledoux

Reaction score
Visit site
Here is a pic of the damage. It's a small one inch screw in the recessed part of the thread. I pulled it out and mushroom plugged it with a stop and go kit. What is really unnerving to be fully honest is that no one seems to agree on this at all. I've been to three moto shops and one regular tire shop today. No one will even touch it for liability reasons. On the other hand some are saying patch, some are saying tube (including one of the moto places), some are saying scrap! The amount of conflicting information is making me more worried than anything.

And for the record, it is a brand new PR3 (less than 30kms). So I'm reluctant to dish out another 250-300$ for one.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here is a pic of the damage. It's a small one inch screw in the recessed part of the thread. I pulled it out and mushroom plugged it with a stop and go kit. What is really unnerving to be fully honest is that no one seems to agree on this at all. I've been to three moto shops and one regular tire shop today. No one will even touch it for liability reasons. On the other hand some are saying patch, some are saying tube (including one of the moto places), some are saying scrap! The amount of conflicting information is making me more worried than anything.

And for the record, it is a brand new PR3 (less than 30kms). So I'm reluctant to dish out another 250-300$ for one.

No one can guarantee that it'll be perfect, but I can tell you that I sure as heck would plug it and would fully expect to get full life out of that tire (8-10k). I'd definitely keep my eye on it first few rides. Check pressure to make sure it's holding.

Senior

My brother is Junior
Reaction score
Visit site
View attachment 52969what Erci said, plug it and keep a good eye on it. I've just plugged the front tyre and I've got one in the back that's been in there for 3000 miles with no problem no leaks

Sent from my HTC One on Vodafone 4G using Tapatalk 2

bdevries

Reaction score
Visit site
No one can guarantee that it'll be perfect, but I can tell you that I sure as heck would plug it and would fully expect to get full life out of that tire (8-10k). I'd definitely keep my eye on it first few rides. Check pressure to make sure it's holding.

yup, I'd be comfortable with a plug(coming from a tire junky)

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Fwiw: here is my sanity check!
  • Thats a small hole
  • I've never seen a W rated bike carcass fail for a puncture wound. Even abused ones.
  • These tires have many plies and they appear to cross the carcass in several directions. For me this gives me piece of mind that it won't do some form of bonding failure. That is, you'll **likely** feel a vibration before it lets go (i hope), thus it won't go down like needle to a ballon.
  • You can always trust interweb advice to be true and accurate! :eek:
Thats my take on it and if i thought it would selfdestruct id replace it. Its not worth dying for.