Can I make it 350 miles home?

Paradisio

Tries to keep up
Reaction score
Visit site
So I need a new rear tire asap and I have one at my house in NC, unfortunately I am 350 miles away in TN where I go to school. I would love to drive the bike back and put the tire I bought on rather than buy a new one here, but I just don't know if I will make it.

I am putting up some pictures, but I don't know if they will give you any better of an idea.

Any advice?

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
You'll probably make it, but I've actually seen one go from a little better than that to showing fibers in about 400 miles.

Be careful with whatever you decide.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Depends on how hot it is and how loaded the bike is.

Every 100 miles, stop and check the rear tire for any sign of the cords showing through.

The answer is maybe.

Paradisio

Tries to keep up
Reaction score
Visit site
Ha good deal, thanks guys; the only thing that worries me is I do have a little cut in the center that you can kind of see in the third picture. I don't know if that is from a cord about to come through or not. Either way I shouldn't be loaded up with more than a backback and I only weigh around 150lbs. Should I adjust my preload to a different setting or would it make a difference? I have it on the factory 3 now.

edit* Oh and it is supposed to be 90ish Monday when I am thinking about leaving.

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
Ha good deal, thanks guys; the only thing that worries me is I do have a little cut in the center that you can kind of see in the third picture. I don't know if that is from a cord about to come through or not. Either way I shouldn't be loaded up with more than a backback and I only weigh around 150lbs. Should I adjust my preload to a different setting or would it make a difference? I have it on the factory 3 now.

edit* Oh and it is supposed to be 90ish Monday when I am thinking about leaving.

With heat comes wear, so be aware of that. I would definitely take Fred's advice about the 100 mile inspection, and just be prepared to buy a tire on the road in case it happens.

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I cant find it now, but there was a post here a couple of weeks ago that had a pic of tyres with the cords showing, and he was still riding it. Go with Freds opinion though, smart move to check every 100 miles... Better to be safe than sorry.

:rockon:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well at least it will make the ride a heck a lot more exciting! Will it hold up, will it fail? I would keep the speed down as well, go the speed limit but don't go any faster.

Paradisio

Tries to keep up
Reaction score
Visit site
I usually won't go more than 5 over when I make this drive, too many police and I don't usually like to speed on open highway anyways. I'm more of a twisty kind of guy. But yeah I'll take it easy if I do end up going; I may just try to find a buddy with a cage here and have him go back with me to pick the tire up.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Waitaminute! Wait just a cotton pickin' minute here!

Item. You are in Tennessee.

Item. You need to get to North Carolina.

Item. You like twisties.

Item. Your tire is out of tread in the center, but has plenty on the edges.

Solution. Find the absolutely twistiest route you can find and go home that way. Deal's Gap, Cherahola Skyway, BRP, etc. You'll spend half your time on the sides of the tires, and the center of the tire is sure to last for the entire trip.

So, post up with your origin and destination cities and we'll start telling you what twisty roads you can take. A little work with google maps and you can make a route that will have dragging pegs all the way home.

Paradisio

Tries to keep up
Reaction score
Visit site
Ha, I just burst out laughing by myself in my room. I am headed from Cleveland 37323 to Waxhaw 28173.

I actually hit up the Cherahola Skyway and the Dragon's Tail twice in the past week or so. All those roads are amazing, but unfortunatly as far as I can tell there are not too many twisty routes I can take to get where I want to go.

Well I take that back, I just plotted it again and it looks like I can do half the trip on the sides of my tires... hmmm

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com

Paradisio

Tries to keep up
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh man, it makes me want to leave now. 9 hours hurts a litle, but so does having to buy a new tire halfway through a trip. This is going to require some careful consideration... Thanks Fred

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Buy yourself a $4 round needle file, and deepen those grooves before you start out.

I'm KIDDING!!!

:D :D :D

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Waitaminute! Wait just a cotton pickin' minute here!

Item. You are in Tennessee.

Item. You need to get to North Carolina.

Item. You like twisties.

Item. Your tire is out of tread in the center, but has plenty on the edges.

Solution. Find the absolutely twistiest route you can find and go home that way. Deal's Gap, Cherahola Skyway, BRP, etc. You'll spend half your time on the sides of the tires, and the center of the tire is sure to last for the entire trip.

So, post up with your origin and destination cities and we'll start telling you what twisty roads you can take. A little work with google maps and you can make a route that will have dragging pegs all the way home.

Man! I love the way this man thinks! Right On Freddie! :rockon:

Paradisio

Tries to keep up
Reaction score
Visit site
Buy yourself a $4 round needle file, and deepen those grooves before you start out.

I'm KIDDING!!!

:D :D :D

Oh man I wish I still had my old rim and tire from when I wrecked and actually did that then posted pictures saying I did what Botch told me to do but it doesn't look very safe...