Need help quick! Please!

coachestabrook

Reaction score
Visit site
OK, so today was good and bad.

Good because I got to ride on my twisty, hilly two-lane country road on the way to my way below my education and skill set job.

Bad because I was doing about 85 in a 60 when I came up on a Texas state trooper coming the other way and while I have an M endorsement on my commercial license (also bad because the means no traffic school), it is only a permit requiring a licensed operator within 1000 ft.

Good because the trooper, who was about 22, looked over my bike, inspection sticker and insurance and suggested I slow down without issuing me so much as even a warning.

Bad because when I pulled off the two lane country road onto someone's gravel driveway, I must have picked up a nail, for my tire was flat less than a mile down the road.

So my question has two parts. First, While I don't like the idea of plugging a bike tire, I am wondering if it is totally acceptable. I am at least six weeks away from being able to afford a new tire.

The tire is a Power Pilot 2CT, which I posted about earlier with rave reviews. The tire has 10,000 miles on it, but still has 3,000-4,000 miles left. The hole, found in the tire after getting it off the tow truck and up on the center stand, is located dead-center in the middle of the tire and not in a tread groove.

Here is the kicker: I have had a slow leak that I noticed a couple of weeks ago. The tire pressure will drop from 45 psi to mid 20s in three days. I filled the tire with tire snot not two hours before the flat. I know the can says not for motorcycle tires, but a tire is a tire is a tire. I thought that somehow the tire sealer had to do with the flat until I saw this hole, which was not there before.

Thoughts and opinions? I need them. Thanks a million!

YamaSpeed

Dartmouth Ambassador
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes you can plug a tire. However. Do not use the type of plug that is jammed into the tire from the outside. Use the type that is inserted from the inside of the tire and has a fat yet flat bottom to ensure a good seal. I have used these and they work well.

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Where is the hole? In the centre of the tyre, or nearer the edge, if it's centralised, should be ok to plug it.
If you are doing track-days, I'd suggest not plugging the tyre, but should be ok for normal riding.
If you're going like a "bat-outta-hell" through the twisties, I wouldn't plug it either.

Not a big fan of plugs myslef, and most places down here won't even do it.

Just my 2c worth.

:rockon:

As D.I. said below, why are you running 45psi in it... that's a whole lotta pressure. I run 36-38 in the rear, and I thought that was high.

Last edited:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
The tire has 10,000 miles (5 is average for a pilot power), has a slow leak, and now has a nail in it on top of all that and you want to know what I think you should do?

Get a new set of tires.

45psi?

Plugging a good tire is acceptable in my book. This tire was dead before you hit the nail IMO.

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well when I worked for the Yamaha dealership the answer was allway's don't plug it....but the fizzer riders in Europe say it's fine to plug it....I plugged my rear tire when I picked up a nail going on their advice 7 month's ago and have'nt had any problem's with it 2,500 miles later...:D

crabby117

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I can tell you that I've ridden on a plug for 2-3 months now. My tires were very new when I got a screw in my tire, and I just couldn't bear to bring myself to buy a new one. I just checked its' pressure, and it hasn't lost a bit since I've plugged it. The hole is just off the center line of my rear tire, the hole was small (small enough that the plug is extremely tight), and I consider myself a pretty mellow rider with few long distance trips in my agenda. So those factors weighed into my decision. For what it's worth....

coachestabrook

Reaction score
Visit site
The tire has 10,000 miles (5 is average for a pilot power), has a slow leak, and now has a nail in it on top of all that and you want to know what I think you should do?

Get a new set of tires.

45psi?

Plugging a good tire is acceptable in my book. This tire was dead before you hit the nail IMO.

Re 45 psi.: I seem to remember reading somewhere (the manual?) about 45 psi if riding at high speeds. If I can plug the tire I can keep the speed down for 6 weeks until I can afford a new tire. I am an unemployed school teacher who is currently waiting tables and will be able to supplement the income with substitute teaching once school starts back up.

I am surprised at your 5K comment. Why would you consider the tire dead at 5K ? -- This is an honest question asked from the bottom of my heart; I have only been riding again for a year after 25 years away.

I didn't think I would get the mileage out of them that I have to this point, but I am not quite even to the wear bars on the tread yet. The tires are only 12 months old and appear to be in good shape. Power Pilot 2CTs are awesome and I will def get another next month, I just can't pop the $250-275 right now for the new tire and mounting.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't think I would get the mileage out of them that I have to this point, but I am not quite even to the wear bars on the tread yet. The tires are only 12 months old and appear to be in good shape. Power Pilot 2CTs are awesome and I will def get another next month, I just can't pop the $250-275 right now for the new tire and mounting.
I just replaced my Pilot Powers last week (trying Pilot Roads this time) and I'm coming to realize its not having tread left that's important, it's whether your tire is starting to "square off" or not (developing a flat spot on the outer perimeter of the tire, where you're touching while driving upright). My bike handles the curves SO much better on new tires, without that flat spot.

Is this your first set of new tires? See if you notice a big difference in handling when you get the new tire on, hopefully you'll see what I mean. Good luck!

cp04

Dunder Mifflin Employee
Reaction score
Visit site
Re 45 psi.: I seem to remember reading somewhere (the manual?) about 45 psi if riding at high speeds. If I can plug the tire I can keep the speed down for 6 weeks until I can afford a new tire. I am an unemployed school teacher who is currently waiting tables and will be able to supplement the income with substitute teaching once school starts back up.

I am surprised at your 5K comment. Why would you consider the tire dead at 5K ? -- This is an honest question asked from the bottom of my heart; I have only been riding again for a year after 25 years away.

If it was me I would say plug it from the inside like someone said earlier, check for any leaks, and then get a new tire when you can.

The comment about the 5k miles is about how fast those tires can wear out. My regular pilot power rear tire was went about 5k before it got low tread and a flat spot. It's all up to the roads you ride on, how you ride, your weight, tire pressure, etc, on how they will wear.

As for the 45psi, I think my manual says 36 front 42 rear for highway riding. So 45 could be a little to high or it could be ok depending on your weight and how you ride.

Goodluck with it all.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not saying your tire should be replaced at 5K miles, I'm saying most people wear out pilot powers in around 5K miles (and need to replace them at that time). Some people somehow go much longer but they don't ride like I do.

Wear out = at the wear indicators on the sides or in the middle, or both, depending on how they ride.

Re: 45psi. You're thinking of 42psi, generally the highest recommended pressure. I've never seen anything higher (in a manual or on a sidewall) but that's just me.

Last edited:
S

Shamus McFeeley

$275? Wow they're only $172 at motorcycle-superstore.com. Also, you might want to invest in some tire spoons, $10 will net you a pair from motion pro, and you'll never pay for mounting again.

You can also clean that nasty tire fix a flat you put in there as well. That stuff is horrible, and when I changed tires for a living I saw that stuff do some gnarly things to rims.

Last edited by a moderator:

Iethius

Who?
Reaction score
Visit site
TIRE GOO! Good God man, are you mad at your bike?That stuff makes my skin squirm.I got a flat 2 days ago on my stock Battlax-20 with 3,500 miles on it. I assumed I could just patch it, but after researching it and how I ride a new tire is my best option.Sucks because the tread is fine, not much of a flat spot.I am not taking it all apart just to patch it either, if I am doing the work I will replace it.Motorcyle Superstore has Pilot powers for $153.00, and Pilot Sport HRX for $182 us$ My personal eqation goes something like this;$200.00 plus or minus for rear tire, 200 plus or minus front tire, 100 mounting, tools etc. = $ 500 approx. versus $500.00 deductible for Emergency room visit after blowout on s curves at 98mph. Hope this helps.

youngy

Reaction score
Visit site
when I was poor I had 3 plugs in a rear tyre on a YZF1000........never had a problem, but I think I probably used a few years quota of luck.

Plugging works fine and if done properly is cold vulcanised from the inside so the chance of a leak is minimal but............the tyre can tear or split along the tread from the puncture, so high speed riding is not recommended as it induces more heat and therefore expansion of the tyre.

42 psi is what Yamaha recommend for fat bastards (load over 90kg).

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I am currently on the second plug, put into a hole caused by a piece of glass. The first plug worked without issue for at least 5K miles. (I holed the tire 2 weeks after I bought it.) The plug, sticky rope type inserted from the outside, stayed sealed until the tread surrounding the plug wore down enough to start 'worrying' the plug. That caused it so start leaking along the seams of the plug. It's a figure 8 shape, so I had two circles of tiny bubbles leaking around the edges.

The tire was still nowhere near the wear bars, so I bought another sticky rope plug kit, and punched the old plug into the air space inside the tire... the new plug was generously coated with rubber cement, and after I installed it, I rotated the tire so the plug was the lowest point, and only inflated it about 10 psi..... let it sit over night like that, and have put well over 1000 miles on the tire since. Most of that 1000 miles of riding has been freeway speed stuff.

33 front/36 rear.