Fiamm Horn Mod.

W

wrightme43

Very simple under $20 mod, to increase your ability to get other drivers attention.
Simple bolt off, bolt on install.
It is the Fiamm freeway blaster lowtone horn. IIRC it is 132 db at 4" It is a whole lot louder than the stock horn.

OrangevaleFJR

R.I.P. Our FJR Riding Friend
Reaction score
Visit site
I did this on my FJR...Huge difference on the FJR. I find the FZ6's horn is better than the stock FJR's, but still the horn upgrade is nice. Something about being able to blow the chrome of the bumper of a '69 buick as it comes into your lane ;)

Admin

Staff member
Reaction score
Visit site
Fiam horn

I want one.... Where did you get them?

Dennis

W

wrightme43

I got mine at advance auto parts. Mine failed this evening. It is warrentied but it is still a shame. I know parts either work or they dont. LOL

W

wrightme43

Here it is installed. It broke though, and I have to get another one. LOL

greenthumb

Reaction score
Visit site
i cant even begin to describe the 'horns' in vietnam.
headache inducing is an understatement, and you can switch between several tones on the fly.

wish i had brought one home.

greenthumb

Reaction score
Visit site
horns there are used as commonly as turn signals here (and vise versa)most of them are just loud 'regular' horns, but the one i have in mind was unique and played a quickly alternating high-low note that sounds air powered.
i didnt acually get a chance to see one of these units, but i did hear them mounted on everything from busses to some of the millions of 100cc Honda Dream bikes, so they cant be that big, complicated or expensive.
one of my videos has an example of them, but its a huge file so ill see what i can do to put it up on the net somewhere if anyone is interested.
mabye its available on ebay, but id have no idea what theyre called.

ctr46

Reaction score
Visit site
Does this horn come right on as a replacement for the stock horn? No need to change any wires, or anything? Just hook the new horn up to the existing wires and that's it?

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, the Fiamm Freeway Blaster (low tone) bolts right on in place of the OEM horn, and the two horn wires connect right up to it (same spade connectors). The only concern that I have is that the horn's opening faces forward and will probably fill with water if I was daft enough to ride in the rain.
It has an AMAZING sound, and really gets everyone's attention.

W

wrightme43

Yes, the Fiamm Freeway Blaster (low tone) bolts right on in place of the OEM horn, and the two horn wires connect right up to it (same spade connectors). The only concern that I have is that the horn's opening faces forward and will probably fill with water if I was daft enough to ride in the rain.

You have to drill a small hole to drain the water. LOL

I got to use mine today. A old man, missed hitting Shelly and I by right at 6 inchs or less. I saw his bumper way close, it passed within inchs of of the swingarm. He was turning left we were going straight. He was completely oblivious. 1-2 mph slower and we would of been hit, and maybe posting a I got hit thread instead.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
You have to drill a small hole to drain the water. LOL

Hear ya. :p Will do. :thumbup:

wrightme43 said:
I got to use mine today. A old man, missed hitting Shelly and I by right at 6 inchs or less. I saw his bumper way close, it passed within inchs of of the swingarm. He was turning left we were going straight. He was completely oblivious. 1-2 mph slower and we would of been hit, and maybe posting a I got hit thread instead.

That's happened to me a couple of times over the past few months....a driver in the right lane suddenly drifting into the left lane into the same space that was occupied by me. That's what prompted me to get a real horn. ;)
Glad you got out of that one ok.

ctr46

Reaction score
Visit site

I have read on another forum that without buying a relay and installing this with the new horn it would put a lot of strain on the horn switch and battery since the horn requires a lot of amps when it is used. The stock wiring is very thin and not designed for a powerful horn like the Fiamm...

What is your experience? How long have you had it and any electrical problems or any problems at all?

Thanks...

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
I have read on another forum that without buying a relay and installing this with the new horn it would put a lot of strain on the horn switch and battery since the horn requires a lot of amps when it is used. The stock wiring is very thin and not designed for a powerful horn like the Fiamm...

What is your experience? How long have you had it and any electrical problems or any problems at all?

Thanks...

I wired up a similar horn on my FZ6 (STEBEL Nautalus) and you WILL need to use a relay. Simply put, you will burn out your horn switch contacts if you don't use one. I've had mine on for about a year with no probelms other than having to replace the relay once as I had it badly positioned and water got into it.

ctr46

Reaction score
Visit site
I wired up a similar horn on my FZ6 (STEBEL Nautalus) and you WILL need to use a relay. Simply put, you will burn out your horn switch contacts if you don't use one. I've had mine on for about a year with no probelms other than having to replace the relay once as I had it badly positioned and water got into it.

And that means getting new wires from the batteri to the horn as well I guess? I'm not much of an electrician and would rather try not to mess too much with the wiring. I did however do the dual headlight mod and was very pleased with the result (and my work more or less too) :)

Just don't want to be starting something that's more than I can handle... Especially since I use the bike every day and can't put it in a garage (which I also don't have here) to work on in the afternoons/evenings:)

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Yes you have to add a new wire from the POS (+) battery terminal with a 15-20AMP inline fuse. You can use the stock horn button wiring as well.

1. Wire an inline 20A fuse to the + of the battery terminal - other end to realy pin 30 - use 14AWG wire (heavier guage wire - thicker)
2. Ground relay pin85
3. connect the + stock horn connector to relay pin 86
4. wire relay pin 87 to + on Stebel Horn
5. Ground the - connector on the Stebel horn (can share the same ground/wire as relay pin 85)

Last edited:
W

wrightme43

For the Fiamm horn?
Its a stock replacement horn. As I understand it, you will need to use a relay if you run two horns but with just one its fine.

I am not saying that it could not happen, just that in my experince, it does not cause a problem.

I do know that the ninja250 board has been around for a very long time, the Fiamm freeway blaster has been a recomended mod for a long time, no relay is called out, and no failure of the horn switches have been related to the swap that I know of.

If the thread was reccomending installing two horns or a higher amp draw horn, I believe a relay would be a good idea, for just installing the Fiamm I can find no evidence that a relay is needed.