190 miles today.

W

wrightme43

Ok this bike is awesome. I had a great time today. It was cold but not too bad, layered up, with hot hands in the pockets and in the gloves.
The brakes are amazing very easy to control, but very strong.
The trans, shifts better and better already. (more than likely that is me switching from the ninjette) It snicks up or down thru the gears with a light stab of clutch, and a blip. I really like it.
The tires are great, I know there are better ones for this bike (battle axe stock) but I am coming from bias-ply Avon supervenoms.
It is easy to turn at slow speeds, and will do the in lane S avoidance practice with ease.
The seat is nice, but I cant wait to get the yamaha comfort seat. The press release said the stocker is 15% softer than last year, and the comfort is supposed to be better than that. It is better than the ninja but it still caused some uncomfort. Not bad though, and no monkey butt.
It is a little harder to park and back up. I cant flat foot it, so its on the balls of my feet. (5'8" 32" inseam) Still not really a problem just harder.
I am at 255 miles on the bike, the oil is still a very clear yellow but I can see and feel metal in it off the dip stick.
I am going to change the oil tonight. I know its early according to Yamaha, but I have my own mind on that, and will be the one that has to live with it.
Steve

OrangevaleFJR

R.I.P. Our FJR Riding Friend
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok this bike is awesome. I had a great time today. It was cold but not too bad, layered up, with hot hands in the pockets and in the gloves.
The brakes are amazing very easy to control, but very strong.
The trans, shifts better and better already. (more than likely that is me switching from the ninjette) It snicks up or down thru the gears with a light stab of clutch, and a blip. I really like it.
The tires are great, I know there are better ones for this bike (battle axe stock) but I am coming from bias-ply Avon supervenoms.
It is easy to turn at slow speeds, and will do the in lane S avoidance practice with ease.
The seat is nice, but I cant wait to get the yamaha comfort seat. The press release said the stocker is 15% softer than last year, and the comfort is supposed to be better than that. It is better than the ninja but it still caused some uncomfort. Not bad though, and no monkey butt.
It is a little harder to park and back up. I cant flat foot it, so its on the balls of my feet. (5'8" 32" inseam) Still not really a problem just harder.
I am at 255 miles on the bike, the oil is still a very clear yellow but I can see and feel metal in it off the dip stick.
I am going to change the oil tonight. I know its early according to Yamaha, but I have my own mind on that, and will be the one that has to live with it.
Steve

Getting that metal out sure isn't going to hurt your bike. I recommend an oil change early in break in. If metal is going to be skimmed off, the 1st 100 miles will be a lot worse than the 500-600 range. You have my vote of confidence! :)

I'm eager to find out how you like the comfort seat! As soon as you get it, you should go ride 300 miles and give us a report!

I bought a Penske shock that is shorter than stock and can adjust up and down a little over an inch. Sherri is shorter than you and I can see she needs this bike lowered so I bit the bullet and ordered it yesterday. Penske has done some looking at the FZ6 and I'll make sure to post good before and after as well as how to photo stories for you all.

I also ordered for Sherri the inch up / inch back risers available at twistedthrottle. I think this will give Sherri better leverage for low/no speed pushing maneuvers.

Now I just have to find a good touring screen and baggage option. I guess I could still carry everything on my FJR:)

Last edited:
W

wrightme43

Thanks. ;) LOL
I went with the Purolator Pure One PL14610 filter. It in my opinion is the finest filter for the most resonable cost available. The oil I removed was full of aluminum and other metal particles. Almost silver in color at exactly 250 miles. I know alot of people do not reccomend switching to synth oil this early, but I believe the plus sides to it, greatly out wiegh the down side of a longer break in. I believe that a motor is 90% or more broken in by the first hour of run time. The last 10% or so, wont bother me if it takes six months to a year. I went with Mobil one. I used Rotella T full syn on my ninja. Both are excellent oils that hold viscosity well in a system that chops viscosity modifiers to little pieces with the tranny gears.

Definetly hook us up with a report on the the penske shock, and bar risers as well.