FZ6 S2 2007 Quick & Simple Headlight Mod

L

l41w

Hi,

I am just new to the forum so please excuse any mistakes!

I decided to do the headlight as I got sick and tired of sitting at the lights and people shouting "hey mate, you have got a headlight out!"

I will show you here how to do a very fast and easy non technically minded dual headlight mod which can be easily reversed without any lasting damage!

I had looked at so many other ways of doing it on various pages but if like me you are not **** hot with wiring and feel a little uneasy dismantling your brand new bike, then this should suit.

I would firstly like to mention that this mod is not really suitable for anyone who uses high beam for any length of time - as doing it this way does not which the dipped beam filament off when high beam is used, which can cause the bulb to get very hot and reduce the life of the bulb! But if like me you mainly go out during the day or ride in street light areas at night, you will be fine.

L

l41w

Firstly all the parts you need are:

A length of wire - I chose green and yellow ( just what I had lying around )

A scotch block wire tapper

A spade connector - I think it was 1/4 inch wide

Some black insulating tape

L

l41w

I then used a flat head screwdriver to open up the connector a little to make it fit onto the top connector of the right headlight bulb.

(right and left are taken as if you were sitting on the bike)

L

l41w

After removing the right headlight plug I pulled it down below the front faring so I could access it better.

I popped open the plastic cover and inserted the connector into the top slot and pushed it down until it locked into place.

Then I closed the plastic cover and plugged it back into the back of the right headlight bulb to make sure it fitted ok.

L

l41w

I then routed the new wire under the dash to the left headlight plug. I followed the origional wires and taped it up tight with the insulating tape so it looked neat and out of sight.

I again unplugged the left headlight plug and pulled it down under the front fairing for easy access.

L

l41w

Then I used the wire tap to connect the new wire to the green and black wire which runs into the left headlight plug.

There is only 2 wires going into this plug:

green and black wire which is the positive

black wire is the negative

Once I had tapped into the green and black wire, I fired up the engine to make sure the connection was good and then tapped all the wires and tap up with tape to make it waterproof and look nice and tidy!

L

l41w

And that was it!

I now have both headlights on and I must say it looks so much better. No more unhelpful comments at the traffic lights.

This is also easily removed as the wire tap leaves no lasting damaged to the wires.

Hope this has been helpful for any of you low tech chaps out there!

pedwards89

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice write up 41w, I think that's basically the same as Wrightme's original thread on the topic.

There are loads of threads on here how to do this mod the "Proper" way i.e. the RH headlamp switches with the the main beam switch.

In my opinion, if you have the confidence / competence to do the mod as you have described, it's only a small step further to do it 'properly.'

By the way, welcome, always good to have another Brit aboard.

L

l41w

Thanks for the comments,

May have the bottle to venture into the full blown mod one of these days.

Have you done the mod to your bike? if so was it easy to do and have the dealers had anything to say about it? Just the Yamaha dealer up here have said that it puts a massive load on the alternator and they have advised against it. Thats another reason for doing this one so I can disconnect it for servicing etc.

Would be glad if you could let me know,

cheers

Lenny.