Initial adjuster for front fork

KUMAJ

Reaction score
Visit site
Could be some one already know that you can install early R6 or FZ1(FZS1000) preload adjuster into FZ6 front fork. However, It will be cost $150. Today, I noticed you can use preload adjuster of later TDM850 into FZ6. It's cost just $80. Of cource, you need cut and adjust the spacer for normal height. Parts# is below

4TX-2311H-00 .FORK, BOLT
93210-34504 .O-RING
4TX-2311G-00 .BOLT, SPRINGADJUST
4TX-2331L-00 .SEAT, SPRING UPPER
93210-18N01 .O-RING

W

wrightme43

Well cool. Thats neat, have you done it, or are you going to do it?

KUMAJ

Reaction score
Visit site
It is going on and finish to check diameter of the part of screw in cap bolt. After finish caliculate air volume in there and fork fluid height, I'll post again.

I prefered to check and use FZR1000(3GM) preroad adjuster but, production in Yamaha for it was gone......

I'll finish this matter in this year, any way.

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You would think Yamaha could fit this as original equipment. It would look good on the spec and be really useful.

KUMAJ

Reaction score
Visit site
grommit-san,

I agree with you. Some time, I wonder why Yamaha hasn't install preload adjuster into FZ6 front fork and single rate fork spring.

How about usage in your country? Frequent riding with passenger?

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
grommit-san,

I agree with you. Some time, I wonder why Yamaha hasn't install preload adjuster into FZ6 front fork and single rate fork spring.

How about usage in your country? Frequent riding with passenger?

"grommit-san", I like it :Flash:

No passengers, It would be nice when going around town to keep it soft and then when on a trip with luggage etc to stiffen it up a bit. I went to London the other day and it was OK, but it is a new bike so it will soften as the miles build up.

KUMAJ

Reaction score
Visit site
For using TDM preload adjuster "I" need few solutions.

1. The Room or space above Bolt cap
I replaced handle bar and doesn’t have space enough. At least I need 25mm. Still I’m not satisfied by current handle bar (I replaced twice) and I’ll choose another better and making room.

2. Plug the hole of adjusting screw
TDM adjusting screw has hole for plunger. Now I make decision making it M8 screw hole and plug by flange style M8 screw with seal washer. For me, I usually release the pressure of fork inside air at summer and winter and, I will think it will be useful. For another mod, I’m thinking install one way check ball valve into this hole…..

3. Cut the spacer
To match with normal spring, I need to cut standard spacer. According to my measurement it should be 22mm shorter.

4. Another Possibility
After order and get the parts of TDM, I noticed another possibility. Of course I’ll use TDM’s but it is another possibility for people living in euro. It is for XJR1300 early model. Part # is below. Incidentally, I didn’t check screw size and diameter or dimension.

4PU-23111-20

Is there some volunteer??

I’ll post how to do it after finish all work, any way. :Flash:

KUMAJ

Reaction score
Visit site
I done it but, if you do it with same method, please do it on your own risk.

##Preparation

#Parts
4TX-2311H-00.Fork, Bolt(Qty:2), 93210-34504.O-Ring(Qty:2), 4TX-2311G-00.Bolt Spring Adjust(Qty:2), 4TX-2331L-00.Seat Spring Upper(Qty:2), 93210-18N01.O-Ring(Qty:2), 95027-08012 Bolt Flange(Qty:2 For plug hole in 4TX-2311G-00. Some people prefer to use 92014-08014 or 92014-08012), Seal washer (Universal, Qty:2 ; please find it by yourself in your location)

#Cut the normal spacer and make screw hole (M8 etc) in 4TX-2311G-00,
/Standard Spacer (Pipe) cut
I cut it 22mm shorter to get normal spring compression. I bought new these spacers for this mod (P/N : 5VX-23118-00)

/Screw hole in 4TX-2311G-00
I made M8 screw hole in it to plug by 95027-08012 with seal washer. Somehow I'm thinking that I could install one-way ball valve in this hole..... but, still I'm looking for. Of course, you can plug the hole by your better idea.

/misc
I didn't change fork fluid height because FZ6 spring is still soft for me. I expect much more progressive air spring effect in there (Just changing fluid height is bother for me?? :) ).

#Assemble the parts above.
Refer parts list drawings I attached.

##Install preload adjuster

1. loose the normal fork bolt (Just loose and, don't take it off)
2. Remove handle bar
3. Lifting the machine to make the front-end free hanging
4. Take the fork bolt and normal spacer off
5. Install shorten spacer, Seat Spring upper (4TX-2331L-00), Assembled preload adjuster
6. Tight fork bolt (4TX-2311H-00) in the preload adjuster.

##Results
Just I installed function of adjust and I can find "sweet spot (better preload)" easier than normal. Also, I can start sag setting of front-end. I started middle term test and preload settings with checking air leakage from plugged hole though I rode FZ6 for 30 minuets on city and highway without any problem. However, somehow, I feeling and noticed much more progressive effecting because air capacity was decreased. I don't like rely on air-spring effecting because this character will be influenced by environment. Is there someone installed harder spring with lower fluid height and thick (hard) fluid? If there are, please let me know your body weight and settings. I'll start to adjust it after mod of below and replace fork oil.

##On my next mod in my list (Named as KUMAJ's FZ6 Spec "3" project:) )
I found other possibility for improve condition of fork. It is fork spring of YAMA-Genuine parts from another bike and, I'll inform you when I start mod. Actually, I don't like increase the number of post. Therefore, can I add this matter into "http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/1051-fork-upgrades.html"?

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I attached installed picture.

Thats it!

A Happy New Year :)
Kumaj san That is an excellent job. How much better is it over the stock forks. How easy is it to adjust your settings? I have never had pre-load adjustment on any of my previous bikes.
Happy new year to you to.

KUMAJ

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi! Perryn-san,

Usually, I set up sag when I bought the bike.
Some days ago, I noticed that some people don't need any set up and, their body weight is around 65 to 70 kg. Still most bike maker seems like start to develop brand new bike for people having such body weight.

Perryn-san, If you don't need any adjustment and, you are out of range above, I think you have good sense of balance and speed. I envy you.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi! Perryn-san,

Usually, I set up sag when I bought the bike.
Some days ago, I noticed that some people don't need any set up and, their body weight is around 65 to 70 kg. Still most bike maker seems like start to develop brand new bike for people having such body weight.

Perryn-san, If you don't need any adjustment and, you are out of range above, I think you have good sense of balance and speed. I envy you.
Hi Kumaj-san,
I am at the upper end of the 70 kg weight. Im not sure what sag is? My balance is ok. Th most likely explanation for me is that either I have been very lucky with my bike as the front end seems to be very well planted. I have to also confess that I have not really had the oppertunity to really push my bike in terms of finding its suspension limits. The other explanation that is also quite likely is that I am very bad at actually analyising what is happening to my suspension whilst im riding.
I still think your suspension work is excellent.
Neil

KUMAJ

Reaction score
Visit site
Perryn-san,

I think you adjust by your self unknowingly on your barance. Still I envy you. Taking sag is one kind of geometry adjusting on bike with rider, full fuel, full armor(Jacket, helmet, boots). For me, I usually start setting from 35mm front and 30mm rear complession.

biker_dude43-san,

Now, "IF" air in front fork doesn't give and recieve heat, there is some formula. PV=Const. (P:pressure, V:Volume). Now, pressure is "almost" same with outside air pressure at no complession condition but, air volume became smaller than normal because TDM preload adjuster has much volume in front fork and decrease air volume in there. Progressive air suspention calacter is much more obvious than normal. Actually, air in fork will give and recieve heat and, it is reason I don't rely on so much. Also, it is the point I'm thinking to put there relief valve for periodic mentenance.

reiobard-san,

Just try to order parts even if you can't find distributor that people can buy TDM850 in your location. Actually I'm curious XJR1300 early models but still I didn't check dimensions and size. it is 4PU-23111-20. It cost just $60 for both side without making screw hole. Also, looks like air bolume is not so different with normal fork bolt. OR,,,, would you pay me airfare?

Cheers!! :)

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Perryn-san,

I think you adjust by your self unknowingly on your barance. Still I envy you. Taking sag is one kind of geometry adjusting on bike with rider, full fuel, full armor(Jacket, helmet, boots). For me, I usually start setting from 35mm front and 30mm rear complession.

biker_dude43-san,

Now, "IF" air in front fork doesn't give and recieve heat, there is some formula. PV=Const. (P:pressure, V:Volume). Now, pressure is "almost" same with outside air pressure at no complession condition but, air volume became smaller than normal because TDM preload adjuster has much volume in front fork and decrease air volume in there. Progressive air suspention calacter is much more obvious than normal. Actually, air in fork will give and recieve heat and, it is reason I don't rely on so much. Also, it is the point I'm thinking to put there relief valve for periodic mentenance.

reiobard-san,

Just try to order parts even if you can't find distributor that people can buy TDM850 in your location. Actually I'm curious XJR1300 early models but still I didn't check dimensions and size. it is 4PU-23111-20. It cost just $60 for both side without making screw hole. Also, looks like air bolume is not so different with normal fork bolt. OR,,,, would you pay me airfare?

Cheers!! :)
Kumaj,
Your knowlege in this area is fantastic. You put me to shame, I went for a ride today on my bike and decided to push it a little. The forks felt a little soggy especially as I entered a deep bend with a dip in it. Im sure you and your bike will out perform me.
Happy new year

KUMAJ

Reaction score
Visit site
Perryn-san,

I meaned that just I envy you because my friend who has similar body weight(85kg) with me tell normal FZ6 setting is still confortable. Then, I noticed I slightly lack of sence of my barance than average people. My semicircular canal may have some problem. However, this kind of suspension setting will make your bike much more friendly and safer.