Bus Lanes

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Guys,
Do any off you konw if it has been made legal for bikes to ride in all bus lanes yet? I have a few designated lanes in my town for buses and bikes. A while ago there was a proposal to make it mandatory for bikes to use the lanes to. I recently received a ticket for passing through a bus lane to get to a store (in the car). I don't want one for the bike to.

Neil

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure about answering that question for the UK, but here in Las Vegas, we just got our first "HOV" aka "High-Occupancy-Vehicle" or diamond lane as they call it. The freeway went through a massive widening and repaving project, and they added this lane. Unlike other cities where similar lanes are to be found and the use restricted only at peak travel times such as rush hour, our lane is reserved for vehicles with two or more people, buses and motorcycles 24/7. Needless to say, this lane is in the fast lane and is very wide and smooth, with a solid white line about a foot wide used to separate from the other four lanes. I used it last Saturday night, around 3 am. while there were still quite a few traffic at this time, this "HOV" lane was totaly empty, and I was the only one using it going at a very quick pace to say the least.

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
Its encouraged in Hull where I work mate. Actually, riding on the pavement wouldn't be such a bad idea :) get rid of some of the smackheads ;)

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure about answering that question for the UK, but here in Las Vegas, we just got our first "HOV" aka "High-Occupancy-Vehicle" or diamond lane as they call it. The freeway went through a massive widening and repaving project, and they added this lane. Unlike other cities where similar lanes are to be found and the use restricted only at peak travel times such as rush hour, our lane is reserved for vehicles with two or more people, buses and motorcycles 24/7. Needless to say, this lane is in the fast lane and is very wide and smooth, with a solid white line about a foot wide used to separate from the other four lanes. I used it last Saturday night, around 3 am. while there were still quite a few traffic at this time, this "HOV" lane was totaly empty, and I was the only one using it going at a very quick pace to say the least.
That is a great idea, your road lanes ane about 1/3rd wider than ours as it is.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Its encouraged in Hull where I work mate. Actually, riding on the pavement wouldn't be such a bad idea :) get rid of some of the smackheads ;)
I think pavement has a bit of a different conatation state side lol.

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Each local council decides, so say in Birmingham you can where it is marked.

The powers that be have concerns about mixing busses and motorcycles, not push bikes you understand there fine.:eek:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Each local council decides, so say in Birmingham you can where it is marked.

The powers that be have concerns about mixing busses and motorcycles, not push bikes you understand there fine.:eek:

The bicycle does less damage to the tyres when they run over them ;)

pedwards89

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to state the bleedin' obvious Neil, but you have to look at the signs. If it shows a little picture of a motorbike you're ok to use the bus lane. :Sport:

Took my missus to Brum airport the other morning, she's gone to Ireland for a family wedding. Anyway, I took the M42 in the car at 8.00 am. The hard shoulder was open for traffic!! The overhead gantrys were showing 'Congestion. Use Hard Shoulder.' Traffic was restricted to 50mph, but it was moving smoothly & no dramas at junctions. What a fab idea. I assume they must monitor it with cameras in case someone actually breaks down & needs to use the shoulder.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
No mate your not stating the bleeding obvious. We both know that any local authority will put money where its needed most ie this time of year the councilers X-mas do. One lane in my town that is bike OK is not posted yet as ok for bikes. I was just wondering if anyone had heard of any further developments. Lets face it it is a great idea.

I was considering starting a poll on the Gov web site like the one the guy did for congestion charge.

Cheers

Neil

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I hope they open the dutch cycle paths to motorcyclists, I would get where I needed to go in half the time. Well I could always pretend to be a 50cc (they are allowed on the cycle paths).;)

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
neil, do you have something similar to the AMA (american motorcycle association) over there? They will be up to date on all the laws that concern motorcyclists. I have searched the AMA's web site for laws and always found what i was lookin for!

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
neil, do you have something similar to the AMA (american motorcycle association) over there? They will be up to date on all the laws that concern motorcyclists. I have searched the AMA's web site for laws and always found what i was lookin for!
We do have quite an effective lobby group in the BMA British motorcycle association

bledubd

FZ6 Naked Epiphany
Reaction score
Visit site
In London there was a proposal to allow bikes in the bus lanes, but the Transport for London is dragging its feet on the issue. I think one of the councils did a study and found out that it was ok to allow bikes on the bus lanes.

The only bus lane I know which allows bikes is on the M4 just after the junction 3 approaching central London.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
In London there was a proposal to allow bikes in the bus lanes, but the Transport for London is dragging its feet on the issue. I think one of the councils did a study and found out that it was ok to allow bikes on the bus lanes.

The only bus lane I know which allows bikes is on the M4 just after the junction 3 approaching central London.
I have used it quite alot mate, Reading also has a few mixed lanes that can beused by bikes to.

CheekyMonkey

Reaction score
Visit site

plenty in Bristol that we can use :Sport: