Intercom Systems

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Since I can't seem to fall asleep tonight, I figured I would play around on the forums till I passed out. So in my efforts I got to thinking about something my father and I started discussing a little while back, intercoms.

My mother and father ride a Kawasaki Nomad, and I just recently got a FZ6. They have a J&M intercom system on their bike that has a CB radio, weather radio and an audio input for MP3's in which they have the XM-to-go hooked up to. I have rode the bike several times and I must admit that I enjoy being able to talk to the passenger without having to yell and turn around. However, they have had some issues with the system as far as the connectors messing up from time to time and the case of the unit itself has cracked.

So Dad is looking into upgrading at some point, however with me having a bike now he wants to get something that I could mount on the FZ as well so we could all chat over a common channel when we ride together.

I would like it to have helmet hook up (rider and passenger) an Aux input would be nice for using the iPod and I guess it would have to be able to communicate with other radios, i.e. CB channels or small shortwave radio channels. However, the only problem I have with a CB radio deal is where to mount the antenna, loll! It might look pretty silly having a large antenna sticking off the back of the bike.

Any ideas?

-bryan

bikerider

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i put a J&M on my fz6. Love it. I had the antenna on my licence plate. bad idea. it broke off and got caught in my fender wheel. So i replaced it and have the antenna under my seat. works great. Never have to worry about it now. i just went to radio shack and got a real small one. I can take picks of how i have the j&m mounted and the antenna. Since j&m dose'nt make a bracket for our bikes. :Sport:

trailblazer87

Curve Hound
Reaction score
Visit site
Take a look at the Chatterbox. Its small, light, does intercom, 2-way radio, mps and cellphone all in a small helmet mounted box. The only disadvantage is the price. The wired version is about $300, though this may be and advantage to you these days. The bluetooth version is about twice that. The other disadvantage is its not waterproof, though we ride with ziplock baggies over them without ill effects, you just look kinda goofy.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
The Chatterbox isn't really the route I want to go.

However I found this Autocom system. I am looking that Kit 200, or Active Rider Duo. The system seems pretty neat and the price isn't too bad.

Anybody have any thoughts

-bryan

enjoytheride68

Reaction score
Visit site
My wife and I have tried several of the inter com systems out there. We have found that the Auto com system is the best. It is expensive and takes a little bit to set up, but once it is in place and working nothing beats it. We have had the system since 2004, we spent 6 months and 29000 miles this year on our bikes, no issues with the system. We each ride our own bikes. This is my 2 cents worth. Have any questions please call, 541-377-7998. Enjoy the ride, life is too short not to spend it on two wheels, Jim

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Which autocom kit are you using? also do you have any problems communicating with people that have other systems (such as the chatterbox's)

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
My wife and I have tried several of the inter com systems out there. We have found that the Auto com system is the best. It is expensive and takes a little bit to set up, but once it is in place and working nothing beats it. We have had the system since 2004, we spent 6 months and 29000 miles this year on our bikes, no issues with the system. We each ride our own bikes. This is my 2 cents worth. Have any questions please call, 541-377-7998. Enjoy the ride, life is too short not to spend it on two wheels, Jim

Yes, which system are you running?

A few questions though.

1.) I saw a picture on the website where it looks like a guy has what looks like a control unit for volume and such, mounted in his tank bag? Is this the proper way to mount it? I was hoping to hide everything, but I did not know where the volume controls were? Do you have any pictures of this system that you could post up?

2.) You mentioned that you are riding seperate bikes, so I imagine you are taking advantage of their bike to bike system. Are you using the walkie-talkies that they suggest, or your own? If so how is the clarity of the audio and the VOX settings? Same as before, do you have any pictures of how you mounted the radio that would be nice, too.

3.) How big are the speakers for the head set? I am familiar with my parents J&M system and for those head sets they had to purchase some helments that have the extra cut away for the speakers and special pocket attached for the speaker itself. I am assuming that would be required still for these?

Thanks for the info!

-bryan