A few FZ6 Questions

Mike-O

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

I'm currently riding a 1991 Suzuki Katana 750. I'm looking for a new bike with fuel injection and a similar riding position. I've looked at the big 3 in my book, the Ninja 650R, the Suzuki SV650 and most recently the Yamaha FZ6.

My wife likes the FZ6 the most because of the seat and the side grips.

Does the under tail exhaust create any noticeable heat under the passenger seat? My wife loves to ride with me and I want her to be comfortable.

What is the maintenance cost on the bike compared to the SV650 and the Ninja?

I'll be riding 12,000+ miles a year. I heard somewhere that valve adjustments on Yamaha's is 26,000 miles vs 15,000 on Suzukis. Is this true?

I'm looking at getting a 2007 FZ6. I've been reading many threads about break in and oil changes and such. I heard from many Katana owners that using fully synthetic oil made their clutches slip, will it be any different with the FZ?

From what I can tell you guys have a great forum here and I'm happy to be a part of it. Maybe I'll be an FZ6 owner by the end of the year.

Michael

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. IMO the fully synthetic oil will not allow the engine to be completely broken in. There are people with different opinions out there but I strogly believe in using normal oil for the first 2000-3000 kms. Then I switched switch to semi-synthetic. I still refuse to use fully synthetic oil in my FZ6.

Although I am not quite familiar with the other two bikes I don't think that the mechanical maintenance will cost much more or less than any of the other two bikes in the long term.

On the exhaust heat issue. I did have a problem once with my gf, on a long trip. Her seat was really cooking on the *right side only*, which makes me believe that it's the position she held on the bike during the trip. It was her first time on a bike too, so I wouldn't think that it's the bike's "fault". I have never heard other people complaining for heat on the passenger seat.

What I'd recommend: for two up I would go for the ninja, that is if you will do MOSTLY two up. I would avoid the SV due to the sporty riding position, which I hate. The twin plant will provide more torque in low rpm, giving you peace of mind. It will be a pain in the *** if you try high speeds for a long time though. The FZ will give you plenty of go and is much better performance-wise, but two up may require A LOT of effort in gearing when you are out of the motorways. On the plus side, grab rail and wind protection are good. Still there are people that will disagree with me. This is just my opinion.

Practically speaking, all 3 bikes are good options, bikes loved by thousands of believers :D You will not regret going for either.

P.S. I love my FZ and I'd like no other bike instead. I am just trying to be as objective as possible

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

I'm currently riding a 1991 Suzuki Katana 750. I'm looking for a new bike with fuel injection and a similar riding position. I've looked at the big 3 in my book, the Ninja 650R, the Suzuki SV650 and most recently the Yamaha FZ6.

My wife likes the FZ6 the most because of the seat and the side grips.

Does the under tail exhaust create any noticeable heat under the passenger seat? My wife loves to ride with me and I want her to be comfortable.

What is the maintenance cost on the bike compared to the SV650 and the Ninja?

I'll be riding 12,000+ miles a year. I heard somewhere that valve adjustments on Yamaha's is 26,000 miles vs 15,000 on Suzukis. Is this true?

I'm looking at getting a 2007 FZ6. I've been reading many threads about break in and oil changes and such. I heard from many Katana owners that using fully synthetic oil made their clutches slip, will it be any different with the FZ?

From what I can tell you guys have a great forum here and I'm happy to be a part of it. Maybe I'll be an FZ6 owner by the end of the year.

Michael

1) Synthetic oil does not cause clutch slippage on the FZ6
2) Yes 42,000km on valve adjustments
3) I have owned an SV650... the FZ6 is in another league altogether
4) Oil changes are a 15 minute deal
5) No exhaust heat reaches the seat

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. IMO the fully synthetic oil will not allow the engine to be completely broken in. There are people with different opinions out there but I strogly believe in using normal oil for the first 2000-3000 kms. Then I switched switch to semi-synthetic. I still refuse to use fully synthetic oil in my FZ6.
False, false, false.... Corvettes come off the assembly line with 5w-30 fully synthetic mobil 1 oil. They break in just fine...
I use full synthetic in all my bikes (last 15 years) within a few 100km after I bought them. They have all performed flawless, never burned oil and produced full power to spec.

Search the net on oil myths... you will see you are just propagating more of them.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
How about trying to arrange a ride with the wife on you chosen few? Maintainence will be comparable on them all. My som has never mentioned a hot but.
Welcome and good luck.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Neil, are you trolleyed? Spelling's gone all to pot!!!!! Lol:thumbup:

Yes mate, I have been burning the candle of life at both ends and in the middle at the moment. Our baby is due in 7 days. Im trying to do extra over time to create an x-mas cushion. + my daughter woke me with the tragic loss of her teddy falling out of bed. Disaster averted, I thought I would catch up on the posts. I am also typing in the dark so as to not wake the rest of the perry's

:D

Mart Man FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
You'll find the FZ6 to be the perfect bike. I took my daughter on a 300 mile ride on day, and she said the bike was really comfy. I call BS "no offense" on the 650R being better for two up. I've ridden one, and the paralell twin just won't hang with an FZ6. I've had mine for 5 1/2 months and am just short of 6K miles and a lot of those miles were 2 up. I weigh at least 250 lbs. and my daughters about 120 lbs. I had no problems with handling or power, and I was riding around Lake Tahoe on both the CA and NV sides. Highest elevation was 9k ft. Bike was outstanding the whole time. The more I ride this bike, the more impressed I am. Now I do miss the raw power of my ZRX1200R, but I'm less likely to get that unwanted exhibition of speed ticket on this bike. Can't go wrong with the FZ. PERIOD!!!!!

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site
False, false, false.... Corvettes come off the assembly line with 5w-30 fully synthetic mobil 1 oil. They break in just fine...
I use full synthetic in all my bikes (last 15 years) within a few 100km after I bought them. They have all performed flawless, never burned oil and produced full power to spec.

Search the net on oil myths... you will see you are just propagating more of them.

it's not a myth. You'll also find it difficult causing a newly developed bike to burn oil. Since you have been riding for 15 years, meh you know better, we should ignore Castrol recommendations not using synthetic until the break in period is over (around 8500km). And even then the synthetic has nothing better to offer in other places than our mind. Not COMPLETELY breakin in your bike is not something you can simply notice, no way.

Anyways, I still respect you opinion as a possibility. It's just that I disagree with it.:Sport: Just transferring my knowledge from things I've read. I have a great article on this issue but it's in greek, so I can't post it

Last edited by a moderator:

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I must say the FZ6 is a hands down MUST. I love it, as far as the maint, i bought the SERVICE package for around $700-800 and that covers all the services for the duration of the bike. As far as 2up no complaints from the girls i have had on it.

W

wrightme43

New Motorcycle Check list, Break in
Outstanding info on using synth oil in a new bike, and how to break in a bike.

80-90% of your break in is done if the first 200-500 miles of operation. If the rest takes 2000 miles or 8000 miles what does it matter?

Mike-O

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the input guys! I have a feeling the FZ is the right bike for me too. It seems to be the most like my Katana, except much much better.

I would scout for test rides, but I don't think many people would gladly hand over their bike to some one they barely know.

One other question, in one of the other threads, I read that there is no point to revving the bike over 12,000 rpm because it runs out of grunt. Is this true?

Also, were there any differences between 2007 and 2006? I was checking ebay for fairings and I found a good set but only for 2004-2006 models. Were there any changes to the frame?

W

wrightme43

Not to the frame, but the updates for 2007 were very good.
Better brakes, better swing arm, better dash, much uglier front fairing, better seat, cheaper side pods, better fuel map.

You can have a hell of a time in 2cnd gear between 7000 and 12000 rpm. WOOOO!!!!! Third in that range is insane.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't underestimate the value of those grab rails. Put a top case on their and give her a jacket with back armor and she'll never want to get off.

Here are some good links for you --

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...et-any-reviews-also-buying-advice-please.html

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/1431-first-time-pillion.html

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/271-passengers.html

One other question, in one of the other threads, I read that there is no point to revving the bike over 12,000 rpm because it runs out of grunt. Is this true?

I shift about about 13K when heading down the straights...the true readline is around 13,500 which provides the perfect amount of over-rev IMHO.
________
Cheap glass bubblers

Last edited:

Mattberkshire

Reaction score
Visit site
You can have a hell of a time in 2cnd gear between 7000 and 12000 rpm. WOOOO!!!!! Third in that range is insane.

It is very very cool. For a normal type streetbike up against the suzuki bandit, Z750 and CBF600 the FZ6 has an amazing engine. Relatively un-neutered from the R6. That's why, as wrightme says, it goes Wooooooooooooooo!!!! In fact in any gear really. I was on the motorway today and once I'd 'persuaded' a car to get out the fast lane (70mph does not buy you membership of that club) I just dropped it from cruising in 6th to 5th and get down behind the screen. It just goes eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Then suddenly you're at 130. Cool:rockon:

Mattberkshire

Reaction score
Visit site
And at that speed, try putting your chin on the tank. Suddenly all the wind noise disappears and all you can hear is the high pitched scream of the cylinders doing their stuff. Great!:Flash:

W

wrightme43

It is very very cool. For a normal type streetbike up against the suzuki bandit, Z750 and CBF600 the FZ6 has an amazing engine. Relatively un-neutered from the R6. That's why, as wrightme says, it goes Wooooooooooooooo!!!! In fact in any gear really. I was on the motorway today and once I'd 'persuaded' a car to get out the fast lane (70mph does not buy you membership of that club) I just dropped it from cruising in 6th to 5th and get down behind the screen. It just goes eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Then suddenly you're at 130. Cool:rockon:

You will love this bike.
I live right near a 4 lane median divided highway with turn lanes. You are allowed U turns since the driveways and streets cant always turn left. My favorite is a U turn then up to 100 in a few short heartbeats.

Mike-O

Reaction score
Visit site
Haha, great info you guys. That kind of fun will be a bonus since I'm buying this bike out of practical reasons. Honest! Better fuel economy and better creature comforts.