07 Fz6 Motor

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I see that we have the R6 motor, but they keep talking about that it's detuned. What did they detune. Yes i know nothing, thats why i have all of u all here to help me, and others that don't know.

elwood206

Reaction score
Visit site
milder cams and smaller airbox, I think the "de-tuning" was a result of trying to give it more midrange torque
could be other differences besides those

S

sportrider

I believe the fuel injection and throttle bodys are different also.

elwood206

Reaction score
Visit site
I think by milder cams they mean "different profile" cams. To bring the torque curve down lower in the RPM range. If that's the case, and I'm sure it is, having a smaller air box is fine because the motor can't make use of a larger air charge due to the cams inability to open the valves and "inhale" large amounts of air at high RPM like the cams in the R6 motor. Think of it like this. The FZ6 can move more air at lower RPM then the R6. Hence more lower RPM torque (only a little by the way). Once past that RPM range the different cam profile of the R6 can move more then the FZ6 which makes more HP and provides a greater top end charge! Zoom Zoom.;)

exactly what I was trying to say. intake and exhaust restriction or the lack thereof can do strange things to torque

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
I believe the fuel injection and throttle bodies are different also.

Yes, we only have two sensors for our injectors and it uses a set up similar to bank firing on the 93 LT1 cars. Two of the injectors fire, then the other two fire. Where as on the R6 it has sequential firing, because it has a sensor for each injector. So each injector fires independent of the other injectors.

+1 on the low range torque deal. Same motor, just different power curves.

-bryan

Last edited by a moderator: