DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Mile Zero
3768441626_3d7764e162_b.jpg

The roads in NorCal are amazing...
3763890177_7ab9b25b39_b.jpg

That's ^^^ Cali_Rider, myself, and my friend Johnny who rides a V-Strom.

Here is the slide show from my camera

Updated SLIDESHOW

More pics to follow...

Here is the MAP of approximately where we went

No negative incidents of any kind...just lots of corners.

Few more teaser shots:
3763922039_c2e9f070a2_b.jpg

3764646002_d5c67ce05c_b.jpg

3763826689_b8653050cf_b.jpg

Last edited:

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Amazing photos Nate, the slideshow is great! thanks for sharing!

I am glad it all went without any incident of any kind... I can't wait to race with John on the xbox360 tonight so he can tell me all about the trip while we play :)

How was the camping 3 nights in a row? Not too tiring? and the food? how did you make it all happen?

Bates121

B l a c k L e a d e r
Reaction score
Visit site
amazing great slideshow. I am planning on a trip in early Sept. to leave from Socal and head up along the coast to monterey and then either continue up the coast to Eureka Ca. to check out the lost coast brewery or cut over to yosemite and ride through there. So any tips on what gear was beneficial/luxury/essential, or how you handled food or wood for a fire (i planning on just brining a hatchet and using whatever wood is around) would be great. I already have a list going but more ideas always help

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I updated the slideshow with about 10 more pictures taken in route.

How was the camping 3 nights in a row? Not too tiring? and the food? how did you make it all happen?

Well we only camped 2 nights in a row, and got a hotel the third night. We were on our way to the campsite but had to turn around for gas (damn 1000cc vstrom)..once we got back to a town, we just decided to call it a night as it was still 95 degrees and the campsite was a long way off.

However, I was down to camp...not too tired at all. I was worried about this but actually slept very well. Also, bathing in a mountain river was extremely refreshing and we kept it to just a few drinks per night so we were never hung over. We ate well and drank A TON of water/gatoraid so all in all we handled the heat and the riding with minimum fatigue.

We had water and basic breakfast food each morning and then a huge lunch and a decent size dinner everyday. We lunch and dinner either at a restaurant or bought food at the general store.

It was all much easier than anticipated....there are ample camp sites in NorCal and it's so easy to cover ground on a sportbike.

amazing great slideshow. I am planning on a trip in early Sept. to leave from Socal and head up along the coast to monterey and then either continue up the coast to Eureka Ca. to check out the lost coast brewery or cut over to yosemite and ride through there. So any tips on what gear was beneficial/luxury/essential, or how you handled food or wood for a fire (i planning on just brining a hatchet and using whatever wood is around) would be great. I already have a list going but more ideas always help

I vote to keep going north. Maybe hit 36/3/96 or some combination thereof if possible but I'd pass on trying to head all the way inland. Eitherway will be good though.

LIGHT gear is beneficial/essential when it comes to "railing". We all packed light and it paid dividends on the road. I brought a change of underwear for each day and two camping shirts (could have done fine with one). I also brought some tools, chain lube, a knife, a camel back (this is a major plus especially if you can put it in your tank bag), sleeping bag, sleeping pad, tent, sandals (for showing, letting your feet breath at night, and anything else you need to do when not riding), and a camera.

For gear I brought my regular zip together 2 piece riding leathers (with removable liner), and my rain gear. Rain gear doubles as cold weather gear. We saw everything from mid-50s and misting to 105 and dry.

With regard to wood, most campsites sell wood or you can buy it at most general stores in small towns. See my comments above on food.

For me it was all about keeping the bike light as I knew I would be riding fairly hard...your priorities may differ.

Last edited:

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for sharing!!! :cheer: Now I know why Wavex was so bummed about missing it!! Beautiful pics. :)

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
All I can add is............ WOW!

loved the slideshow pics...and thank you for sharing, although, most of us wish we could have gone!

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like an amazing time guys! Thanks for posting the pics Nate. It's making me want to stop cruising the local Santa Cruz mountains so much and do some exploring North of here.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
The slideshow has been updated with some more pictures taken by Johnny (v-strom)

Thought this was cool
3769488079_411702a605_b.jpg

Perfect pavement
3769488633_5a84f201c7_b.jpg

Check out that mirror...this is 10 miles from SF
3769489723_42d3d93ab8_b.jpg

It's making me want to stop cruising the local Santa Cruz mountains so much and do some exploring North of here.

You really need to!

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What happened to the "Notice" sign? I've never seen your bike with the fairing on it. :D

Great trip!

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
What happened to the "Notice" sign? I've never seen your bike with the fairing on it. :D

Great trip!

Love the fairing w/ cut down windscreen...way better than the last over 1,000 mile trip I went on. Notice my deadlights are out? blew a fuse and didn't notice until the end of day 1.

drn

Reaction score
Visit site
Very nice! I need to do one of these trips. I recognize some of the scenery. I am up in Fortuna. If you ever do another up this way, I'd like to hook up and do part of the trip with you guys. Let me know with a PM.