Long trip essentials/checklist?

99vengeur

Reaction score
Visit site
I hope to plan on taking a trip this August to go to a buddy's wedding. The wedding is about 950 miles away and I want to do it on the bike. The trip will involve me, the bike and a backpack. I don't have side bags, tank bag or even a tailbag, and I really don't foresee having them (except maybe a tank bag) come time for the trip. I have read through some of the stickies and got some really good advice on how to prepare and whatnot, but I am looking for some sort of checklist for essentials to take with me in the limited amount of storage that I will have.

The trip will likely be all highway until I get there, and then maybe I will take the scenic route home. I imagine that some of the more experienced tourers/travelers have a preset checklist, so that is why I am asking. ;)

rockmurf

Reaction score
Visit site
Ship you clothes, gift etc to your buddy's place and just take the clothes on your back, swim suit, rain gear, change of underwear/socks, flashlight, cell phone charger, I will end here and save some of the rest for the other guys.

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
I use the attached excel sheet to plan what I need to bring ("Nd" column), then as I pack I use it to mark off and make sure I actually bring everything ("Hv" column).

Yes, I am an engineer and I stole the list from a boy scout.

Last edited:

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Honestly, save your body strengh and get some bags. That is going to be alot of miles, and it takes a toll on your body, physically and mentally. Make it easier on yourself and purchase some bags to put your stuff and forget about the back pack.

Shipping your clothes works, if you can do that. But honestly A tailbag and saddlebag combo is all you really need. If you feel like being froggy get a tank bag as well. I love mine. For more info on luggage check out the sticky I made with all the luggage reviews. If you do decide to purchase some luggage, check out one of the site sponsers, Forsyth Moto. Ask for Bruce and mention this forum, you will be taken care of.

Be sure to carry rain gear and extra undies and socks with you, as you will proabably get wet and those will make you feel the best to change. Keep a bottle of Plexus or some other cleaner on hand and a small rag for shield cleaning.

Hydrate!

-bryan