Comparison Test 07 Jap 600's

J

Japbiker

Is there a group test of the 2007 Jap 600 bikes...comparing Yamaha FZ6 against the Suzuki SV650S and the Kawasaki Ninja 650R? If not, how do you think these Jap models compare to each other?

Last edited by a moderator:

jeff in ohio

Reaction score
Visit site
Motorcycleconsumernews did that exact comparison this year. PM me your emial address or mailing address and I will send you a copy.....

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site
IMO these bikes couldn't be any more different from each other.

The ninja and SV650 compare well to each other (especialy the naked SV due to similar riding positions). Both quite friendly to beginners, without lacking any power. The faired SV has a much more aggressive riding position.

The FZ6 has a pretty comfortable riding position (similar to the ninja), but is an inline four engine, not a v-twin. Here is where the FZ6 shows its differences. It has R6's engine slightly detuned. After 8k rpm it will not compare with the v-twins. The FZ is in a different category IMO. Should be compared with CBF600, hornet and other I4 engined 600s. And yes, as every new 600ss engine, it lacks torque below 5k. The front fairing also comes in play, since the new hornet (said to be a much better bike than the FZ6) is only available in naked version

If you need to decide between theese bikes though, it's more of a decision of what kind of bike you want; All 3 bikes are decent, just different.

V-twin sporty-SV650s
V-Twin comfy seat - ninja (EDIT: as mentioned by other members, the ninja is a parallel twin, not a vtwin)
I4 - FZ6

Some more points (according to my experiences)

There is no right or wrong decision, no better bike. It's simply a give and take. I.E.
a v-twin has torque throughout the rev range, the I4 has more hps with a peaky top range.
The 650 v-twin starts to loose serious ground after 100mph next to an I4. The V-twin is usualy more vibration friendly than an I4

Here is a link to an old review, but I completely diasagree with the way reporters judge the fz...Hope I helped even a little bit.

Honda 599 vs. Suzuki SV650 vs. Yamaha FZ6 - Road Test & Middleweight Motorcycle Comparison Review - Motorcyclist Online

Last edited:
J

Japbiker

Great article, a definite plus for the 07 Yamaha FZ6! It truly is the best bike in it's comparable group class.:thumbup:

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
What is significant in that article (like other similar comparison articles on the FZ6) is that the testers (except Mr. Ford...read his "cheers and jeers" comment at the end of the article) don't 'get it' with the FZ6.
IMHO, Yamaha got it just right....and everyone else is scrambling to catch up/copy the FZ6. Look at the new "Hornet".....at a quick glance it could be an FZ6.
The features of the FZ6 that are condemned by the bike magazine hacks are the very features that make it an exciting bike to ride. ALL the time.
It will take a very special motorcycle indeed to replace my FZ6. :D

ped

Reaction score
Visit site
yeah them comparisons always favor a twin for some reason. ive rode them... and ill take my 4 any day thank you.

J

Japbiker

I just read the entire article and the 2007 Yamaha FZ6 came out in FIRST PLACE...it wasn't even close!

Engine & Performance - #1
Transmission - #1
Chassis & Suspension - #1
Brakes, Wheels, & Tires - #1
Ergonomics - #1
Instruments & Controls - #1
Attention To Detail - #1
Value - #1

The only categories that the FZ6 didn't win were:
Handling(3rd place) and Riding Impressions(2nd place)

Side note to Handling Category from article: "Graded strictly on a curve, the Suzuki comes in first, followed by the Kawi and then the Yamaha, but on straighter roads the plusher ride of the FZ6 is a winner. Once you get accustomed to the heavier feel and turn-in of the FZ6, you can still hustle through the turns rapidly and with confidence."

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
Since buying my 06 FZ6 new last July, I've only recently started to push the handling of the bike, and even then I'm sure I'm only at 50-60% of the bike's capabilities. I am noticing on hard fast cornering that there is something a bit unsettling going on particularly in the front. I'm pretty much convinced that it's the OEM Dunlop tires that are the culprit here, because it does the little series of "twitches" even on billiard table-smooth corners. A set of decent tires will probably clean that up.
I'm probably over-stating the "twitches" that I feel, as I'm cornering at speeds that would send my old '68 Bonneville with its skinny Avon Speedmaster MkII tires into tank-slapping convulsions. I don't think we really realize how spoiled we've become with the handling of modern bikes.
As for "riding impressions", I must say that I end every ride with a huge, satisfied grin on my face....and yes, I'm still talking about my FZ6. :p :D

mikebike

just a rider
Reaction score
www.crazyguyonabike.com
The inline 4 is a strong engine. I was riding in a big group today and it got shall we say spirited at times. I was in front hitting about 102 in 4th gear when I see a pair of headlights closing so I downshift smoothly and wick it --- it was a guy in our group riding a Gold Wing. I saw 118 as I hit 4th and held him off with ease. Very snappy.... :rockon:

(all speeds are fictitious if you are a Florida Highway Patrol man)

S

sportrider

correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the Ninja 650 a parallel twin? if so its a lot different than a V-twin in power delivery.
:Sport:

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site
correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the Ninja 650 a parallel twin? if so its a lot different than a V-twin in power delivery.
:Sport:

Umm...you are completely right, my previous post is now edited. The truth is that differences between the two are a bit mysterious to me. Some say the parallel has a bit less power and less vibrations. Some say the complete opposite...Whatsmore, there are different kinds of parallel twins. Meh, beyond this point, it gets too technical for me

Last edited:

ped

Reaction score
Visit site
yeah theres quite a difference, but a twin is a twin as well. the bore/stroke thing makes the two different kinds alot more similar than the parallel is to the I4.

Mart Man FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I actually went to a dealer and test rode a Ninja 650 prior to learning about the FZ6. I left extremely dissapointed because I didn't think there was a bike out there with what I was looking for. I wanted an inline four, with an upright riding position. I was looking at the Bandit, but thought it ugly. Looked at the V-stroms, and had the same problem with ugly. Didn't like the riding position on the SV, too much forward lean. Didn't like the Ninja 650 due to the lack of real power and engine vibration, but at least it wasn't ugly. Looked at the Honda 599, kind of ugly, not too comfy, price was kinda high and no FUEL INJECTION!!

I was kicking myself in the arse for selling my ZRX1200R Kawi. It didn't have fuel injection, but was an absolute blast to ride. But, Kawasaki doesn't make the bike any more. I then stumbled on the FZ. Now I had a bike with good looks, fuel injection, comfy riding position, and the price was even pretty reasonable. The wife and kids got me one for fathers day, and man do I love this bike. It doesn't have the raw power my ZRX had, but it's also only half as big. For a 600cc bike, I think this thing is amazing. This bike should last me for a long time.

H

HavBlue

The only 600 middleweight in the same class with the FZ6 is another FZ6. I'm not a big fan of the new FZ6 and really thought Yamaha went downhill with the bike after the 05 model but it's still the best in class to me. Drop that front sprocket down one and watch it come alive....

H

HavBlue

Where do I start? The 04 and 05 are pretty much Identical with the exception of the rear sets. The colors were clean and they expressed the machine in a manner well suited to what, in my opinion is the best all around 600cc sport touring machine on the market. In 06 they started backing off with blacked out parts that took much of the flash or flair if you will away from the machine. In 2007 they dropped the ball big time when they blacked out everything, choked up the fairing, went to a less than desirable instrument cluster and went to a reduced effect wind screen. Looking at the new bike relative to the 2004 I have, I wouldn't trade. Then again, had I seen only the blacked out version when I first bought mine I wouldn't have bought the bike. Please understand much of this is personal preference.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
Ahhh...ok, gotcha.:thumbup:
Speaking subjectively for myself, it was the "blacked out" parts that attracted me to my 06 FZ6...in fact, I'd rather see even more of it blacked out. :D

jeff in ohio

Reaction score
Visit site
less than desirable instruments? I rode my brother '05 and HATED the gauge. The tach could not bee seen in bright sunlight. The analog tach on the '07 machines is much nicer......