Urbanj's FZ6N conversion - the journey begins

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site
Urbanj's FZ6N conversion - UPDATED!

Since everyone seems to be going this route I figured I'll make my own thread to add to the plethora of info.

So due to a minor drop when teaching my bro to ride I figured instead of replacing the stock plastics I'd spend the extra cash and go all out.

So...... it just so happened that DriftProjectR was selling Maverick1970's old FZ1N kit. Perfect!!! It was the exactly how I wanted to do it. So I snatched it up. Only thing I had to buy was the meter cover.

All the info on getting the kit as well as links to the other threads is over here http://www.600riders.com/forum/bikes-parts-sale/15052-fs-fz1n-headlight-kit.html

For mirrors, after seeing Capo79's bike I decided to go with these mirrors Fly-N-Cycle Motorsports-Motorcycle Parts and Gear Online and ordered these mounts Motorcycle handlebar mirror mount adapter which at the time of writing this, I hope work.
MRU-012-2.jpg

Then for good measure and to add to the street fighter image, I picked up some Leo Vince carbon pipes off of Daybreaker.
19353d1247398176-leo-vince-carbon-fiber-exhaust-dsc01281.jpg

I also picked up some pazzo shorties in black with blue adjuster. They should complement the blue preload adjuster on the R6S forks and my faster blue bike :)

All the parts I need are in transit and should be here shortly.

For the lower bracket that is used to connect the headlight bracket to the mount for the brake line I'm going to fab it up out of some aluminum and paint it black.

For the wiring, I plan on getting rid of the extra wiring for the stuff I no longer need and leave behind waterproof connectors that I will hide up in the harness just in case for some strange reason I need to return the harness back to OEM.

I'm never one for taking pics and documenting work since I just like getting work done but I'll try this time and just take a whole bunch and go from there.

estimated time of nudity - First week of August

Stay tuned

Last edited:

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site
Figure I'd add up how much I paid for everything.

FZ1N conversion kit (new but used) - $ 442 USD with shipping
Meter cover (missing from the kit) - $38.24 with shipping (think that's a rip off)
Mirrors and mounts - $70.11USD with shipping
Pazzo short - $212.74 CAD no shipping as I pick them up from the place
Leo Vince pipes $540 USD with shipping

I haven't check my visa to see with the conversion. I know I got screwed cause since I purchased this stuff our dollar went up over .90 to a USD and it was much lower when I paid.

Total for just the stuff needed to convert = $550.35USD

LOL then i added a good $800CAD+ in goodies :) or :eek: depending on how you look at it. I think it's more:rockon:

I'd like to thank DriftProjectR and Daybreaker for the great hookups.

Last edited:

nlheikki

2009 Buell XB12Scg
Reaction score
Visit site
Good luck with the conversion. Take your time and it will turn out very nice.

-Nick-

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site
So today I got the headlight kit. My pazzo's are in and I have to pic them up. The exhaust is waiting for me to pic up at the frieght forwarding company but I'm waiting for the meter cover to get there as well.

So, sorry for the crappy pics. They are taken with my phone. It's a Storm and normally takes good enough pics but I put some protector skin on and it seems to be screwing them up.

First two pics self explanitory.

I wanted to make the bracket look OEM. I shaped it to go with the original bracket and then used 1/4" by 3/4" long SS hardware including nylock nuts. Then I primed and painted it as all one piece. Now i haven't drilled the holes to actually mount it since I'm at work and the bike is at my parents house 30min away. I'm hoping it will all work out. As you can see I'm impatient :)

Last edited:

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
<--- jealous :D I miss working on FZ6s :rockon:

Did you ever consider going -1 on the front sprocket? Going naked and dropping a tooth in front makes sense imo. You won't need top speed anymore. Who uses 145mph on the streets anyway...

:edit never mind, I just read your sig... :spank:

Last edited:

03zq8

Reaction score
Visit site
That thing is going to be a lot of fun!

Those are the same mirrors I used! What is your plan for the top bolt? That was the hardest part of the install for me...

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm using the Bike-It brand deluxe bracket from fly-n-cycle. Came with the kit I got from DriftprojectR. Just gotta do some cutting and drilling. Was out boating all weekend so I didn't really do and work. But I picked up my Pazzo's. So nice :)

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site
So I have all the parts now. Installed the exhaust while thinking of a better way to mount the headlight. I used the clamps but made my own brackets.

With the leo vince pipes, I installed them with the disc with holes in it and removed the db killers. it still sounds great this way and if i need to I can put db killers back in in seconds vs. pulling apart the exhaust for the disc.

I think I also devised a better way to mount the top of the light to the aftermarket clamps so that it doesnt put so much strain on the sidecover. I used a m6x30 bolt with washer and then jammed two nuts on the underside of the washer. This will hopefully simulate the original fasteners setup. I measured it at work and if I remembered right, the step should be the right length. fingers crossed

Pics to follow

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:popcorn:

Man... I LOVE a good thread about getting naked! Especially that FZ1N kit!

I will live vicariously through you urbanj! :rockon: :rockon:

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site
It's late. 3:40am. I work at 8am. But I finished the bike tonight. I rushed a lot of things that I will have to take apart and do it to my standards. but as the bike sits, if you didn't know, looks perfect. My plan with the bolt and two nuts worked perfect. I did have to grind down the corners so it would fit through the hole but the depth was spot on. and the way i rigged it I don't even have to put a nut on the back end. everything is fixed and solid. You'll see from the pics

as for the harness......... that the biggest pain. I stripped it down to all wire and then it got late and I didn't feel like cutting it all up right now. so i shortened it by folding it over on it's self so the headlight would fit and retaped it. It's hard to explain but you'll get it when you see it. Plus everyone probably routes it differently.

The pipes sound great on the road. i may put the db killers in for the ride up. (400km) but I'll leave em out for everything else. I'm sure that disc is doing it's job. And no backfire at all. runs perfect.

overall I'm super happy about it. I think im going to leave it for the summer as is but in the winter im going to take it all apart, repaint the bracket because I'm not happy the way it turned out and also do a final modification to the harness. shorten it pretty much.

it's late but pics are coming. Night

victorb

Reaction score
Visit site
Pictures?! :)

For the harness, there is just enough space to hide it in the frame. If you remove the airbox and battery box, you can get the connectors and relay inside the frame (on the right side in front of the battery box) and tuck everything nicely under the tank, with just the headlight side of the harness coming out from the left frame hole.
Mine is completely stock, and it fits inside the frame. I'm sure yours would be even easier to fit.

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice. The pictures are way better than I thought. Because I was at my parents I was uploading them to facebook and then putting them up here. Facebook's compression is really bad right now. Normally it's better.

On a side note. One of the mirrors I got broke on the way home. I was probably going too fast :) but I noticed the mirror started cracking right off. The more I rode the bigger it got and then I had to just break it off so it wouldnt fly down the highway. Plus I need it so I can get them to give me a new one! It must have just been defective.

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site
I just got home from my trip so I don't have time for any long descriptions but ask and I can get back to any posts. The bracket I made was quickly cut out with a zipcut and grinder. Again. I'd like to make better ones later.

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site
More pics. The bolt i made once threaded into the headlight mount, just goes through the hole in the bracket. Since the bracket is solid and not going anywhere I didn't really need to add a nut. Probably should but this has now been tested at 100+ mph for long periods and 800kms. Still solid