Votes: 2 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

interactive3

FZ6 Rider
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm frustrated by the lack of good comparisons and statistics in tire reviews. I've been evaluating which tires to get all based on what I think I need/want and what information I can find on-line. Have you switched tire makes/models and found one better than the other?

My commute has worn the middle of the rear stock BT-020 tire that came on the bike. I need a tire that has longevity in the center of the tread. I ride in the rain so I need a good wet tire and I ride when it's cold, but not too far below freezing. Those criteria make me think a dual compound tire is best for my situation. Of course I also want a tire that is comfortable on long rides, has loads of traction, low tire noise, has good cold weather performance, is stable on the straights and is predictable in the curves. I also want it to look good. The stock BT-020 front tire is pretty ugly.

Michelin Pilot Road 2ct @ $324/pr?
They have excellent marketing. Is it as good as they claim? I'm not crazy about the look of the front tire.

Metzeler Roadtec Z6 @ $309/pr.?
I've read that Metzeler and Pirelli develop on motorcycle tires together.

Pirelli Diablo Strada @ $305/pr.?
Again, I've read that Pirelli and Metzeler develop on motorcycle tires together.

The Avon Storm ST @ $295/pr.?
A division of Cooper Tire. Good word of mouth reputation.

Dunlop Roadsmart @ $262/pr.?
Wet performance is supposed to be very good. Some report they wear quickly. Impressive magazine reviews.

Bridgestone BT-021 @ $233/pr.?
The front tire looks like it could be noisy. Will the rear wear better than the 020? Inexpensive.

Thanks in advance!

scottsst

Reaction score
Visit site
I have been happy with the Avon Storms on my FZ6 I plan on buying a new rear hear soon . I think my next set of tires will be the Roadsmart's the only problem I have with the roadsmarts is the wait they are an easy 5lbs heavier per tire than anything I have ever picked up tire wize

knightrider

Reaction score
Visit site
Just got my Pilot Road 2's a week ago. Long mileage center and gripper edges for great grip. Interesting tread pattern on the front tire too. Seem like a great tire so far. Put about 300 miles on them so far.

lattin25

Reaction score
Visit site
i had a set of roadsmarts... cant remember the mileage i got out of them... thought they were decent tires. then got a set of pilot road 2ct's and wow what a difference. I have a few thousand miles on these tires and they are wearing much better than the roadsmarts. they have a better wear pattern by far. i do alot of hard cornering and they stick very well. havent had any problems whatsoever. i am stuck on them.

sideshow_downs

Finally Summer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the 2CTs and have put about 1000 miles on them. They are an AMAZING tire. There is no evedence of wear on them at all and i ride pretty hard. Great side traction with no slippage at all. In the rain they get nothing but tractionand even still feel sticky turning in the rain :rockon:

Worth every penny if you ask me

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just took my wheels in tonight to get the Diablo Stardas mounted. I have heard very good things about the Stradas. $300+ seems high, I paid $243.26 mounted and balanced. I will pick them up tomorrow after work. Can't wait!!:D

rider1a

Reaction score
Visit site
I have had excellent results with Avon Storms ST but the rear wore out after a mere 4,000 miles. I may replace the rear with a RP2, which have many excellent comments on the various motorcycle forums regarding long tread life and traction, especially in the rain.

4fun

Member #1360
Reaction score
Visit site
I run the roadsmarts, I put one on the rear a couple of thopusands miles ago and just put one on the front. I have had no issues with them, of course I do not push the limits when dry or wet. With a couple of thousand miles on the rear, it still looks like new.

interactive3

FZ6 Rider
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've heard nothing but good things from Michelin Pilot Road 2 tires from friends and FZ6 riders. I've ordered a set. Thanks for all your input:thumbup:. Time for a tour!

Oscar54

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I voted for the Michelins because I intend to try these for my next set. I found pricing comparable to the Dunlop RoadSmart touring which is what I am currently riding.

I am very happy with the Dunlop's handling and braking perfomance, but they do seem a bit noisy, at least the front tire.

I too want to try the dual compound tire construction as my Dunlops are already showing wear in the middle though I do have about 5K miles on them.

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just put a PR2 on my rear on Tuesday, and eliminated the chicken strips on Wednesday. They held confidently at all times. (except the patches of sand on the skid pad :eek:)

JohnTex

Reaction score
Visit site
I have limited personal experience, but voted for the Avon Storms. I just installed the second set on my FZ6 (yesterday), after 8k miles on the original bridgestones, and 9k miles on a set of Avons. The center of the avons was not as "flat" as the bridgestones by end-of-life, although the vast majority of my commutes are straight cement freeway (BORING!). Also, there was little to no cupping on the front tire, although this could have been due to the tire pressures & riding style.

A few friends originally recommended these, as they have each been through several sets on their R6 or FJR (each has 50k miles on their bikes, so they have been through some tires).

Hope this helps.

staticghost

FZ6 Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Well of course I voted Pirelli Diablo stradas...plain simply best of the best. Nothing but diablo strada shoes will be fitted on her round sexy wheel legs...:cheer:

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I find it amazing that the tyres I have, BT-010, are not available in North America.

I read somewhere that they are the best selling sport bike tyre in the world.