Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Me on the ride:

2051607535_30e8d8e4cf.jpg

A couple more:

2052392762_b60f499618.jpg

2051605225_74a52aeab1.jpg

I will take some more in the morning/daytime tomorrow.

Just got home (not riding unfortunately, had to drop 'er off right after I got it and meet up for dinner with some friends) but I am so excited that I had to post up some quick first impressions while it's still on my mind.

I should preface this with - I am coming off my first bike, which was a Vuclan 500 (a 500cc parallel twin cruiser) and have never ridden anything sporty, and certainly not inline 4, save for the little Ninja 250 in my MSF class for one exercise). BOY HOWDY is this thing quick. The baby Vulcan had some kick, but this thing takes off nicely. I find it completely manageable and easy to ride at speed, but one thing that is immediately noticeable is the short drive lash compared to my last ride - it's harder to let the bike coast and match the engine speed using the throttle, you're either on or off.

Also, the wind protection was different than I thought it would be, as is the riding position. The wind was neatly diverted away from my body, but the air still swooshes by my helmet pretty loudly, and effect that was somewhat diminished by tucking down a bit when going over 40 mph. I see the taller windscreen in stock for me.

The riding position is more leaned forward, or I found myself putting more weight forward than I had expected. I found that you can also sit up a bit more and the wind sort of holds you upright. I could see this being valuable when going on long rides, to be able to change it up a bit.

I noticed the front turn signals seem to be pretty flimsy. What's up with that, Yamaha?

That's it for now. More updates as I ride some more. :Sport:

Last edited:
W

wrightme43

Hope you enjoy your bike as much as I do mine.
Glad you got it.

paul1149

Riding with the King
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice report, great bike. I've yet to get one, and I would be coming off my first bike as well (ninja 250), so I appreciate your first impressions.

That red is coming through a little more orangey on my monitor than I thought the '07 color was.

p.

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice report, great bike. I've yet to get one, and I would be coming off my first bike as well (ninja 250), so I appreciate your first impressions.

That red is coming through a little more orangey on my monitor than I thought the '07 color was.

p.

I noticed that - it's from my camera and it is indeed a deeper, non-orangey red.

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats on the new bike

Nice to see you got the faster red one............contrary to popular belief, fire (red) does melt ice (blue)...:D

as far as the turn signals go, you will be glad they bend if the bike ever falls over. mine fell over in the driveway about 6 months ago when a vertically challenged person tried to balance it on their toes. the left signal would have broken if it hadnt given a little.

once again congratulations. be safe and have fun

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
congrats on the new bike.:Sport::Sport: It was a wise choice, and you bought the faster color RED. Check out some of the sub-forums or other topics and will answer and explain alot of question you might have. If it does'nt answer a question you have, ask anyone and we will answer it. So hold on and have fun, and most of all be save.:Sport::Sport:

mglowe

Reaction score
mglowe.public.iastate.edu
Congratulations!

I thought I would comment on a couple of things.

...one thing that is immediately noticeable is the short drive lash compared to my last ride - it's harder to let the bike coast and match the engine speed using the throttle, you're either on or off.

This will improve with time. However, you may embarrass yourself a time or two at a light as the friction zone is very narrow.

...but the air still swooshes by my helmet pretty loudly

Your right, unless you change your windscreen -- forget it. Always wear earplugs.

I noticed the front turn signals seem to be pretty flimsy. What's up with that, Yamaha?

The turn signals are suppose to be that way -- unless you like the bent/broken look. *grin* Actually my Honda V45 had a similar flex signal mount so this is not unusual.

Buzzzzz... You may find your right hand going painfully numb at rpm's 5000+. As the engine is broke in this will improve greatly. It helps not to use the lowest grade fuel, possibly change the oil type after first service.

Other than that HAVE FUN!

seth0941

THE REAPER
Reaction score
Visit site
faster red

well i can say that the red is faster than the blue! but the black is the fastest of all!:Flip: JK. congrats. you will find that this bike does nice wheelies!:rockon:!

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
keep it on the side stand, with your right foot place it on the little pedal of the center stand. Slowly press the center stand till it hits the floor. Ounce it makes contact, place your gand onthe side grap bar to balance it. Start to press down on the center stand and it will start to lift, as it lifts, pull the bike up with the grab bar up as u press on the center stand and done. Hope i could of helped you.

GAH

Reaction score
Visit site
Congradulations! I got my '06' in April of this year and I couldn't be happier, it's the best handling and most fun to ride bike I've had. I've already made mods to it: Scorpion exhaust, K&N air filter, Motech handlebar risers, taller Yamaha windshield and the dual low beam headlight mod. I'm installing a Power Commander next.

B

Bo67

Congrats on your new ride. You'll love it!

Welcome to the forum also. Great folks here and lots of good information going on as well.

Enjoy the ride!

rvbiker

Reaction score
Visit site
Sweet! But I don't know how you can go out to dinner with that sitting your driveway. Can't you hear it calling you?