12 Months Prison for speeding

GastonJ

The Winged One
Reaction score
Visit site
I had tacked this onto the end of the Traffic Cops thread, but think it deserves it's own thread tbh.

David Saxby, of Hull, has been jailed for 12 months after a jury at Hull Crown Court convicted him of dangerous driving on the A166 between Wetwang and Fridaythorpe, near Driffield.

I do think the judge went way over the top on this one tbh. The UK's fastest speeder at 172mph got 10 weeks prison in 2007. Not that I condone speeding, but 12 months prison???? Seems he should have been in a car, the sentence would have been lighter.

I'd also have to question how safe it is that a police officer on an unmarked bike, no sirens or lights to warn the public, trying to operate a video and radio going even faster to catch him up so that he could get the video. :spank:

niben001

Reaction score
Visit site
12 months in prison! :spank:
My gosh! :eek:
A stiff fine/suspention/driving course + moto restriction for a year. too bad for him I'm not a judge in UK.

GastonJ

The Winged One
Reaction score
Visit site
Most likely because the cop knew where he was going anyway (popular place), and the 'chase' (although how you can call it a chase without lights and sirens is another thing) wasn't that long. He was probably on the radio calling for the helicopter to be used. The police helicopter is based is around 10/15 miles away.

It seems that safety was forgotten by both of them.

knightrider

Reaction score
Visit site
I was thinking that if the police bike would have let him get away he would have slowed down immediately. But by pursuing him at such speeds the speeder upped his speed. I personally wouldn't be willing to risk my life to catch the guy. Did you see the cop whipping along those turns? Any gravel, any sticks, road snakes? Condensation in the dark tree covered turns?

The cop seems like the bigger moron here in my eyes. Sometimes you can't win them all and cops hate that. Sorry if that makes anyone upset, but I think they should have let him slip away. More dangerous to pursue in this case. Around here I think they would have abandoned the chase unless a helicopter showed up.