How cold is too cold for you?

Rich

Reaction score
Visit site
This was posted on a BMW motorcycle forum a couple of years ago. I ran across it today and just had to share it here. Personally, it's a little cool for me, but this guy must be one tough dude.

223740208-L.jpg

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
That's way too cold for me! Hell I won't even go outside in weather like that. I rode in the mud today and it was around 40. I was really cold and wet, but it was worth it.

After taking these pics, I made my own road throught the jungle. Pic 3 was my entrance point.

mglowe

Reaction score
mglowe.public.iastate.edu
In my opinion... and I am unanimous in that... I cannot see how riding in sub zero temperatures could be safe. I feel our tires do not grip well at low temperatures, not to mention the health hazards [Hypothermia etc.].

This year I rode to down to 40° and I was cold and uncomfortable.

J

jsteinb95

uh....no thank you. I will stick with my 70 degree winter weather. :D

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
With the right gear (but no electrics) I've managed to head out in the low 30s with expectations of it warming up to close to 40 later in the day and enjoy the riding. I've found my biggest issues were warm enough gloves and my neck. I was doing backroads with occasional stops - just slogging on the freeway would be torture IMO.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't recognize "Strata Bank", is that in a Fahrenheit country or a Celsius country? -9 C is only +16 F (heh, "only").
It was 34 F when I drove to work this morning, and only 34 F when I came home too. A bit cool, but I had on longjohns and only have a 20-minute ride to work. Like BCityRoller my neck had been a bit cold, but I got a neck warmer (kinda like a balaclava but without the head portion, they wouldn't fit under my helmet). My hands were fine with non-electric Olympia winter gloves.
What does make me uncomfortable is, first thing in the morning, wrapping my thighs around five gallons of gasoline in a metal tank that's been cold-soaking all night long, yeouch!!! :eek: The Triumph Scrambler I've been eyeing has thick rubber pads on the tank where your legs rest, that'd be a lot more comfortable.
I'm going to keep on trying to ride to work until it's just too cold, or until we get snow accumulation on the roads (and it was snowing on my way home tonight) so we'll see how far I get. On general principle I don't want to put the bike away until I can strap on the skis somewhere... :rockon:

F250moto

Reaction score
Visit site
It was mid 30s today when I went for my weekend ride (M,T,W off). I was quite comfortable. No heated gear, just high quality cold weather gear. I was actually sweating. Just about the end of riding around here. The freezing rain is about to start and that means fields of ice on the roads....

yamadamadoo

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Botch, You're in for a little suprise with the Triumph Scrambler. Got one for a loaner for a few days at the end of september. The exhaust is too high on the right side to get close to that tank rubber without schorching yer leg a bit (even with the heat shields). The geometry of the bike and the incredibly flat seat dosen't really allow the rider to hug the tank like a sport bike anyway. Lotsa torque though and smooth shifting.
I ride Most of the winter. No long trips when it gets below freezing though. Can't ride safe if you loose feeling in your fingers or toes can ya' ?. I got mild hypothermia on two occasions. Took 6 or 7 hours to get my core temp back up and for my body to stop shaking.

S

sportrider

coldest I've ever ridden in was 22 degrees it was on a 1980 Yamaha XS850 specail. I was working swing shift at the time I got off at 2:00am and started for home. at the time I was living in Joshua tree and it was a nice warm day when I left for work so I didn't have any warm gear on. I had on a pair of dickys work pants a T-shirt and a leather "Bikers" jacket, open face helmet. when I got home my legs were burning they were so cold. I think I had a little frost bite or something because they hurt for three days after that. now days I always carry a liner just in case. because once bitten, twice shy.
I'll pretty much ride in any weather if I have the right gear for it.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Botch, You're in for a little suprise with the Triumph Scrambler. Got one for a loaner for a few days at the end of september. The exhaust is too high on the right side to get close to that tank rubber without schorching yer leg a bit (even with the heat shields).
Thank you! That's very valuable info (I've also been eyeing a 2003 Ducati Monster with only 1,500 miles...).

J

jsteinb95

I did a 213 mile ride ....it was 34 when I started and 23 when I finished

it was chilly from avenel NJ to johnstown Ny

had to get the bike to my dads for the winter... and I waited one weekend too long

You're a trooper, Mike. :thumbup:

onoirgobragh

Reaction score
Visit site
One nice thing about Cali...it's never too cold to ride, unless you're in the mountains, I suppose. But I used to ride my dirtbike in the winter in B.C., so I guess cold is relative.:p

Mattberkshire

Reaction score
Visit site
23F is -5C. That's pretty damn cold and is the worst it ever really gets in sotuh of england. Would still ride through it though. Haven't missed a day communiting to work on the bike in 3 years.

It's the constant rain and darkness at 4.30pm that makes it all a bit of a miserable experience at the moment though....

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Last friday I rode back from Croydon at 20:00 after doing a course. It was 4C when I started. I don't know how cold it would have been with the wind chill factor. I had all my winter gear on but was bloody cold by the time I got in.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I Just found this calculator, its great. I didn't change the wind speed as I didn't know what it was. It calculated that I road home in -6C.

Years ago when I was young and foolish. I was a courier, during the winter I often had Ice forming in my elbows and had frozen tears and eyebrows. What a laugh.......not

Wind Chill Calculator

Last edited: