Race anyone?

Heather

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not sure what it is, but it seems to happen on a regular basis. On a multi-lane freeway, I'll be going at a decent clip to pass guys (they're usually in a Dodge Ram; though this morning it was a guy in an Audi) but suddenly, they're trying to keep up or pass me. This gets really annoying when I pass with the expectation of eventually moving in front of the guy to change lanes. I just let them go by - whatever, I'll make my lane change behind them if they're so determined to suddenly go faster. I don't know if it's the fact they see I'm a girl :cheer:...or is it the bike?

Last edited:

Coopdman

Wolf Pack of One
Reaction score
Visit site
I bet it's more ego than anything... they're jealous and wish they were on a bike and could sprint around quickly like you. This has happened to me a few times, but probably more for you since you're female. What egotist wants a girl going faster than him? Smart move by letting them back in front... I wouldn't want someone like this behind me anyway. You can control your interaction with those in front much more than those behind. Shrug it off, you're sitting where they'd like to be.:rockon:

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
It mostly comes down to ego whether the motorcyclist is male or female. The worst offenders are the people with the "tuner, or ricer" cars. Quite often they'll speed up and ride my A$$ after I pass them or they'll speed up and leap-frog me. I just let them go and think whatever they want.

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If it were a girl, I'd rather follow...:rolleyes:, but I just think people don't like to follow motorcycles, maybe because they've been stereotyped as being unpredictable, can stop a whole lot quicker, yadda yadda yadda...

I find that the ppl driving here these days are in a hurry to get somewhere and getting passed by a bike or no bike indicates to them that the passer is intending to get ahead in the queue so the instinct is to squeeze the passer out or status quo, get back in front of them. Nature of the cager. Edmonton is bad for that, I'm almost sure Calgary is worse.

Keep weary eye out for these drivers. ;)

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
I do a lot of highway miles. Sometimes it is ego sometimes the guy is just pacing you and then when you let them by they slow down because now they are the lead car. Cars love to have a bike as the 'rabbit' because they know the bike will prob get pulled over before them.

But give me someone who wants to speed up and pass me anyday... what kills me the most is the people who feel they are entitled to drive in the left (passing lane) when they aren't passing and the right lane is clear or when they are being passed in the left lane.

Have2BeFree

It's My Bike!
Reaction score
Visit site
I think women on bikes get harrassed more than men - it seems to be an ego thing. I usually slow down and let them go by too but occasionally you get the idiot that wants to play tag. I've had more than one semi refuse to let me by on the highways as well. You have to do what you think is the safest solution at the time, slow down/speed up/move to another lane/or just pull off somewhere (safe) and put some distance between you.

Last edited:

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
It mostly comes down to ego whether the motorcyclist is male or female. The worst offenders are the people with the "tuner, or ricer" cars. Quite often they'll speed up and ride my A$$ after I pass them or they'll speed up and leap-frog me. I just let them go and think whatever they want.

Remember when you stereotype them as "tuners" or "ricers" the stereotype you as "Squid" not everyone is this way

<Drives a civic hatchback lowered/rims/exhaust/etc.... :D :eek: :rolleyes:

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
When I rode along with Stryken and Krid80 for the Pony Express hand-off, I had a pick up truck pass me one lane over on the freeway, then slow down and the passenger window started coming down. I was hoping it wasn't going to be one of those instances I read about where I would get a face full of a soda. :eek: Turns out they just wanted to give me a :thumbup: for having my own bike!! It was nice to get some friendly recognition. :cheer:

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
Remember when you stereotype them as "tuners" or "ricers" the stereotype you as "Squid" not everyone is this way

<Drives a civic hatchback lowered/rims/exhaust/etc.... :D :eek: :rolleyes:

No stereotype was implied with my comment. I merely pointed out an observation that I've witnessed on several occasions while riding. BTW, I had a 1994 Honda Prelude VTEC, and currently have a 2001 Subaru WRX so I certainly understand the "tuner car" culture.

The original poster commented about Big Dodge Rams speeding up as she passes them on the freeway, and yet I don't see you jumping her case for stereotyping all Dodge Ram owners as "rednecks".

I wasn't attacking your opinion, or calling you out... try growing some thicker skin.

Last edited:

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
I might be off the mark but I find when I ride at a really steady speed maybe 10-20km/h over the limit and just sit like that I get ALOT of people who are very happy to just follow me (sometimes at a not safe distance)
People seem to have a pack mentality, they won't break the law themselves, BUT if someone else is doing it first why not!

Its a dangerous habit to get into because if you work on the assumption the leader will see the police and slow down giving you time to slow as well then your assuming that person is a good driver or rider, which often isn't true!

There are also lots of idiots who will do half the speed limit to show off their car, often worth half the value of a crashed FZ6 but with plenty of 'bling' and get very angry if anyone overtakes them. Normally their driving skills match their taste in cars too.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
The original poster commented about Big Dodge Rams speeding up as she passes them on the freeway, and yet I don't see you jumping her case for stereotyping all Dodge Ram owners as "rednecks".

That's because it's not a stereotype when it's true.

Dodge Ram owners are some of the biggest jackasses on the road.

(Flamesuit on!)

For actual advice on the situation, do not engage, unless you're planning to do a ton or more for the next few minutes to get well away from them. If that's on your agenda, then go ahead and blow their doors off.

Fred

Iethius

Who?
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey I thought it said ladies only area, I was just reading it and noticed dudes posting here, it was really funny stuff though. Real tears reading this stuff LOL, and Heather, if I were in my car rather than my Fazer. I would take a second look, girls on bikes make me happy. I would pace you for miles just to be near my two favorite things, yep, bikes and girls. Yes in that order. Sorry ladies.And why are dudes posting here, alternative secrets?:spank:

Heather

Reaction score
Visit site
lol... This thread is turning out to be funnier than I expected! The people on this forum are awesome.

I have concluded, the sudden race to pass thing must be because I'm a girl. I've seen other bikers do this as well. (Harleys...) :D

I don't engage! ...(well...not all of the time)... ;)

Nick J

Reaction score
Visit site
People are probably trying to check you out more than the bike. And, you being a female on a sport bike, just makes you more interesting to check out. I always slow down a little whenever I see a girl on a bike.
And to all you folks who badmouth the guys in the Dodge Rams, that's what I drive when I'm not on my bike, and I'm a nice guy.