Need some cool overpants

uglyguitar

Reaction score
Visit site
As the rain lets up a bit here, I've started commuting to work on the FZ. The problem is although I have a jacket, gloves, boots, I have no pants! Lame I know, but I've always been afraid to buy overpants because I was worried of the fit and how hot they would be. Can anyone recommend some overpants that aren't too hot? I suppose I'll have to order em and see if they fit. I have Joe Rocket jackets now if it matters.

H3LR4ZR

Insomniac
Reaction score
brhelwig.com
i have the Icon Arc Pants. I don't know that they offer amazing protection, but its much better than jeans for sure. They are full textile and are pretty easy to put on and take off. The material is pretty much like motocross pants but a little bit thicker. and they have a baggy fit.

I wore them for several hours in upper 80s, lower 90s. they were a bit warmish, but not to the point of being uncomfortable. I'd recommend them. I have the A* SMX-R boots and it works to put them under or over the boot.

I'm a bigger guy and these fit me fine so I'm sure they will work for you too.

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I recently purchase a pair of these First Gear mesh overpants from NewEnough.

I like them. There are those on the forum who do not like, and won't recommend, mesh pants. That's fine. I understand the limitations and risks and I'm willing to accept them. In the event of an unplanned separation from my bike the pants will likely not hold up for very long once in contact with pavement. Ok, got it, I'll need some new pants.

It's hot here (but it's a dry heat...um yeah). Anyhow, they're comfortable to wear even on fairly hot days. During the day I'll wear shorts underneath them to further take advantage of the mesh.

My pants size is 32 and I wanted to be able to wear these over jeans, so I bought a 34. They fit very nicely, IMHO. And I've also got Joe Rocket jackets and they zip together. The zipper lengths may be a little off, but I'm at least able to get them hooked up. They've got good velcro at the boot opening so they can be fitted around the boot fairly well.

bluez

Reaction score
Visit site
i have the Icon Arc Pants. I don't know that they offer amazing protection, but its much better than jeans for sure. They are full textile and are pretty easy to put on and take off. The material is pretty much like motocross pants but a little bit thicker. and they have a baggy fit.

I wore them for several hours in upper 80s, lower 90s. they were a bit warmish, but not to the point of being uncomfortable. I'd recommend them. I have the A* SMX-R boots and it works to put them under or over the boot.

I'm a bigger guy and these fit me fine so I'm sure they will work for you too.

I have a pair of ARCs as well. I like them but I'm looking to upgrade. The good: fit, large velcro pockets on the front, easy on easy off. The bad: the knee "armor" is kinda crappy and doesn't stay in place, thin textile (questionable protection), not waterproof.

They are decent overpants, but if you go with these I would scrap the bogus armor and wear dedicated knee guards underneath them.

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Icon Arc textile pants as well. Regarding protection, they're probably not the greatest, but it's better than jeans alone.

+1 on the comment about the built-in knee armor. The knee pads are difficult to adjust, and never seem to be in the correct position while seated on the bike.

I'll probably upgrade to some perforated leather pants within the next year or so.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Scorpion Deuce. I use them as a pant and not as an overpant. They breathe pretty well. About as much as can be expected I suppose.

-bryan

thethendi

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Joe Rocket Ballistic 7.0 textile overpants...they look pretty cool, are quite comfortable (for me anyway) even with jeans on in warm weather, come with a removable rain liner, and zip to the 8" zipper on my Joe Rocket jacket. But if you're under like 5'9 or so, don't bother. I got the small size, and the kneepads are pretty much shin pads for me. Also, the zipper gets caught a lot, moreso with the liner in place.

Last edited:

sFoster

new rider
Reaction score
Visit site
As the rain lets up a bit here, I've started commuting to work on the FZ. The problem is although I have a jacket, gloves, boots, I have no pants! Lame I know, but I've always been afraid to buy overpants because I was worried of the fit and how hot they would be. Can anyone recommend some overpants that aren't too hot? I suppose I'll have to order em and see if they fit. I have Joe Rocket jackets now if it matters.

I am in the same position as you.
The only water overpants I've come across with seemingly great protection are the air-mesh kevlar, but they look kind of ugly and are REAALLY expensive.

fazerider

Reaction score
Visit site
I think I'm probably going to go with the Joe Rocket Phoenix 2.0. Just have to wait until next payday. Plus, it's decided to start raining again here, so the bike is in the garage :(

I have been riding with those pants 4 years now and they are good in hot with shorts under them and in cold not too bad. I did have 4" above the knee taken out by a local shoe repair guy that does motorcycle gear too now they are knee pads again without pulling on them and wear my A-stars S MX R's under them. The zipper on the Rocket jacket is quick to attach/ unzip to the matching pants zipper in back.