Disobeying Keys

R

Raid The Revenge

1) Key-hole spontaneously needs lubrication.
---Take a small drop of oil from your dipstick and place it on the tip of your key. Insert and remove slowly a dozen times and chamber is lubed.

2)Key-hole has frost.
---Ignition chamber: Use a lighter on the keyblade and warm it for several seconds. Slowly insert into chamber, making sure every tumbler is pinned.
------FAILURE: Open the lighter and put two drops of fluid on the keyblade, both the tip and hamon. Gently insert the key and remove it slowly a dozen times until chamber is filled, wait 1 minute for ice to thaw.
------------FAILURE: Use a troublelight/lantern light with a typical 60-100W incandescent bulb. Bring the light 2 inches away from key and keyhole, wait three minutes or more. Ice should melt.
------------WARNING: Do not attempt to use an open flame on the key or gas tank if the tank-lock is frozen. A serious explosion could result. Use only the fluid and torchlight methods.
------------WARNING: If key remains inside the lock for enough time, the ice could return and freeze your key while inside the chamber. Do not forcefully remove or insert your key at any time, or the blade could break.

3)Emergency Key Hiding Places
-Behind the mirror panel
-Behind a foot bracket
-Behind license plate

W

wrightme43

I used to use powdered graphite. A locksmith that rides on the ninja250 forum told me to stop, he said it gets gummed up with oil and grease and does bad things to your locks. I rinsed it out with brake clean, and put in gun oil instead.

W

wrightme43

Well the only answer to that one is to fly them to the same place and let them fight to the death over it. LOL

I dont know whos right. I always though graphite was a great idea, but then I was told not to. So I used gun oil. Thinking on it, I bet they both work fine.

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
I just want to know where you guys are that are getting ice stuck in your cylinder. The coldest day every year averages around 35 or 40 and that is only for a day or 2. After that we get up to our normal 60 degree winter days. Last christmas it was 71.

I guess the question is can i use gun oil in my cylinder even though it doesnt get cold here or do i have to use a special oil because of the heat in the summer?

W

wrightme43

I dont know man.

Gun oil works good in guns from Tx heat to Canadian cold. Graphite is a powder that doesnt care what the temp is. I sure dont know anymore. It seemed to me that graphite worked fine, and the Remoil I use now works fine.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't think the key barrel, due to its location, would ever see much, if any, oil or grease.
But, in 33 years of owning "cages", I've only had one lock freeze on me, and it was after an ice storm in Dayton Ohio when my car had 3/4" clear ice completely encasing it (and I had just gotten home to the airport, after a 4-hour flight, and it was 12:15 am, and I was cold, and I wanted to go home...)

B

Bo67

I find that Seagrams 7 or Crown Royal works best for de-icing locks. I use about an 1 ML to thaw the lock, and, being a friend to the environment, drink the the other 749 ML so as not to pollute.:D

W

wrightme43

Yeah but then by the time you sober up, the locks are froze up again.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
Well the only answer to that one is to fly them to the same place and let them fight to the death over it. LOL

I dont know whos right. I always though graphite was a great idea, but then I was told not to. So I used gun oil. Thinking on it, I bet they both work fine.

I also use gun oil...or more correctly, a CLP (Cleans, Lubricates, Protects) product called G-96 Gun Treatment. It's guaranteed not to freeze even down to 50deg F below zero. I spray it on a key and insert it into the lock, then turn the key several times to make sure that the CLP transfers from the key to the lock cylinder. I haven't had a lock cylinder (or my AR15) freeze up on me since I started using it. It's made in the USA, too.
Graphite will work just as well, but if the lock has oil residue in it, it'll gum it up royally.