Books that have helped you ride better.

W

wrightme43

David Houghs Proficient Motorcycling I and II
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Proficient-Motorcycling-Ultimate-Guide-Riding/dp/1889540536/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-1280604-6659248?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1176230565&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well: Books: David L. Hough[/ame]

Lee Parks Total Control

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Total-Control-Performance-Street-Techniques/dp/0760314039/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-1280604-6659248?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1176231116&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: Total Control: High Performance Street Riding Techniques: Books: Lee Parks[/ame]

Pat Hahns Ride Hard Ride Smart
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Ride-Hard-Smart-Strategies-Motorcyclists/dp/0760317607/ref=sr_1_2/002-1280604-6659248?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1176231036&sr=1-2"]Amazon.com: Ride Hard, Ride Smart: Ultimate Street Strategies for Advanced Motorcyclists: Books: Patrick Hahn[/ame]
I credit his book with saving my life when I was first learning.
If I just used one little tip from each of these books to avoid or prevent a accident I have more than got my money back.
Instead I have got tons of great help from these books.

I also have Kieth Codes Twist of the Wrist two, and it has helped me to be a better rider as well.

Anybody have any cool books that they enjoyed. Post them up please. I love to read and trying to become a better rider.

Last edited by a moderator:
W

wrightme43

It is great. It even has a section on high performance passenger riding for the pillion.

831fz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Sport Riding Techniques by Nick Ienatsch should be included also.

You can read an exerpt from the book under the post titled "The Pace"

I've read the others and have to say Total Control by Lee Parks is my favorite right now. Plus I met him at Laguna and he's a great guy who takes the time to talk to everyone that comes by his booth. He was selling his book and his gloves. I can't wait till I have enough skill to take one of his courses.

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
As an avid racquetball player I have used several resources to continually improve my skills and approach to the game. Among the written sources I have used, I hold this book as the most transforming: The Inner Game Of Tennis

This was as helpful to my mindset on a motorcycle as it was on the court. I don't need a reference manual on braking, body position, etc. I need to increase my confidence, become at one with my bike, and react with precision.

This book, originally published in 1974, covers the mental aspect of most any competitive activity, and helps you to accept the process of improvement through comfort, muscle memory and intuition. It's about $15, and can be read in a couple of days. Check it out.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I know some of you youngin' dis it, but the original Twist of the Wrist is great. Yeah the dollar bill thing is kinda cheese but ignore that. Think about the visualization aspect. For the track or your favorite road it really works.

When I was racing I'd lay in bed at night and visualize lap after lap. My mind laps were almost within a second of my real laps. I'd visualize from the start of the race and go for about five laps. I would count my shifts, my braking markers, where to feather the clutch and work on trouble zones. When I got on the track it just flowed and I didn't get lost. Yeah I know a track goes in a loop! Lost as far as what gear I should be in when, where to brake, were to set up for a corner, I was never lost nor surprised by the track, only other riders which made dealing with them easier.

When everthing clicked perfectly it was like I was flying, I don't remember shifting or braking, just going and everything was a reflex. It is the most amazing feeling in the world. Very zen like I suppose.

Hollywood416

Reaction score
Visit site
I know some of you youngin' dis it, but the original Twist of the Wrist is great. Yeah the dollar bill thing is kinda cheese but ignore that. Think about the visualization aspect. For the track or your favorite road it really works.

I second that, it was one of the first books I read when I first strated riding, a lot of good info. There are also a lot fo other great books out there though. I think in the last 10years I have read almost every book about riding from dirt to the track. :thumbup:

mglowe

Reaction score
mglowe.public.iastate.edu
I liked both David Hough's Proficient Motorcycling I and II. Most books are wrote for those that have a track, fortunately some of the techniques in those books can be used for both street and track.

The other book that I have read is Sport Riding Techniques: How To Develop Real World Skills for Speed, Safety, and Confidence on the Street and Track. Not a bad book but I felt it was lacking substance.

Ghost Weim

Time to ride!!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Old post, I know - but thanks! I will have some worth while winter reading and will be really ready when the snow thaws in the spring.

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
I just read Proficient Motorcycling. For an experienced rider much of it is just a reminder, but you'd be surprised at how much you still have to learn. One constant theme in the book is something that I've strongly believed for awhile now. Accidents may not be your fault, but most of the time you can avoid them by being 100% aware of your surroundings, anticipating what 's going to happen down the road, and practicing how to deal with it.

Ever rider should read this long before boning up on sport riding IMHO.

It should come with every new bike sold.

Outlaws Justice

Reaction score
www.totalcontroltraining.net
I've heard from a few riders that this is a good book. I'm about ready to buy it.

You think the book is good, take the class!!

I took the class, (Never even rode a sport bike before) then a few weeks later I took a 500 Ninja to do the penguin racing School (Street legal) and I was the only little bike there and I was passing everyone on the track during the sessions. GREAT! I liked it so much I went and Took the instructor class and now teach it. BEST thing I ever did and now looking to learn more!:rockon:

spine

Reaction score
www.shop4biker.co.uk
I got this recently having been recommended it:
[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorcycle-Roadcraft-Police-Handbook-Motorcycling/dp/011341143X/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1276801189&sr=8-1-fkmr1"]Police Motorcycle Roadcraft[/ame]

It's for police motorcyclists, but it seems very good, giving you tips on how to position yourself, what to do in different weather and circumstances.

sonic

Reaction score
Visit site
As far as track riding and form goes, Nike has helped me more than anything...

"Just do it!"

The biggest mistake I see people at the track making is focusing too hard on things they have heard/read/seen/been told, rather than putting an emphasis on having fun and just riding. It entertains me to see someone getting setup like they are going though a 100mph sweeper, then braking to 25mph slower than they should be. Sure, form is important, as is understanding your machine and how it works, but don't be blinded by the "if it ain't written, it's wrong" mentality. First and foremost, get out and ride!

As for reading up on how to coexist with cages on public roads without dying, I have no input. I have never read with that goal in mind.